JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been reloading for about 3 months and I prefer it. It is cheaper in the long run. I bought a "lee loader classic kit" a lot of people makefun of them, but I can remove the old primer and reload 100 rounds in about 45 min. It works great and the kit only costs about $20. I have bought my primers and power online. It has taken a while to get but I always get it. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to decide whether to get into reloading or not is what types of reloading you are planning to do?

For example, are you going to be reloading primarily for pistol, or rifle (because they are very different animals)? And, are you reloading for plinking or accuracy because those are very different animals as well. :cool:

Yes and No.

Yes, if you want to brew up your own loads at any time.

Yes. if you want to be able to shoot cheaper.

Yes. you can save all of your brass NOW and hope things get better with respect to components.

No. You wont save any $$$ since you will put it back into components.

No. If you dont have the time, patience and intellengence to do it.

No. have you tried to find ALL of the components.

Soo Iv been EVERYWHERE From here in Albany to Lebanon To Salem and No one has .40 Ammo.... Soo I was Thinking maybe it would just be easier to Reload my own? Wat Do you guys think?? Yea It may cost a lil more Maybe not.. I havent really Priced it... But If I do start Reloading... Wat All do I need to do it??? :confused:

Hey GG,
I found a new small shop tucked away in Salem that has all the 40 you would need. Its called 'code 3.' Its at 13th & State st, just behind the Subway shop. He has all kinds of ammo, and was flexible on price (at least w/ me). We chatted for some time & I ended up w/ 20 BOXES of 223 for about the best per full case price I could find online anywhere. checkem' out. Jason is the owner.

Last Edited:
If you have the time, reloading allows you to be independent of these shortages. If you always have on hand enough for a few years of shooting (as many serious shooters have) you can assemble what you want when you want it. Besides, there's nothing good on TV anyway, and much satisfaction from loading your own. It is easy and you can load rifle, pistol, shotgun. The real benefit I feel is that you have control over your ammo and what it will do. Just follow the load books exactly and work up each load carefully with a clear head. You will be rewarded with many hours of "load testing"........

:s0155:

Today is a good day to start.

At least start collecting brass, buying supplies and doing things to get you 100%.
I recommend the small investment in a Lee hand press kit.

It took me a few months to get setup for reloading but I finally got everything to get started, I purchased a RCBS Rock Chucker master reloading kit, found brass (.243) bullets & powder. Cost wise I doubt i'll be saving anything. I just enjoy tinkering and making my own "stuff". Personal satisfaction if you wanna call it... Not to mention NOT having to do the scavenger hunt for ammo or JACKED UP AMMO SCALPER prices....

Reloading is not something you just jump into lightly. One must plan and collect all the equipment and components like everyone has said before and do the research needed to do this right.

One main focus you may want to consider is how vested are you? Meaning is your time worth all the fuss. If this can be a hobby then the time is well vested. If you rush you may make a really bad mistake and worse damage your firearm and/or yourself. Or if you are wanting a precision load or have lots of time and want to eventually save money (it can take years if you do the cost analysis - depending how much you shoot).

You really have to think.... is this truly something you want to do. Do a few loads with a friend or find someone that reloads to show you the steps so you can see for youself before you make the financial committment.

Last Edited:
Also remember that any money you put into the reloading "venture", can easily be retrieved if you decide it is not for you. As many have said here, you just have to ask yourself if the time is worth your effort. It can be very relaxing and you will expand your knowledge of the whole shooting sports. Again, it is not difficult but you must pay attention to detail and follow the loadbooks. It is wise to use two or three data books just to double check yourself. If you can make this time comittment, I'm sure you will find it rewarding............

Speaking of data books... I've been re-reading my "new" 7th edition Hornady book and even after 20+ years of reloading (albeit not very high quantities), I am still amazed at the depth of knowledge that is in those books.

Now I need to compare the loads listed in the 7th edition with the ones listed in my "old" 4th edition to see if they are indeed different as some have mentioned.

Load data in the books today are different than 20+ years ago so it is always good to double/triple check your data to get an accurate starting point. Chronograph will help tell you where you are. Do not assume you can start BELOW the lowest values in the books as that can cause some serious pressure issues also. Just follow the books and all will be well. It is just a matter of following some simple steps each time you load and you can be sure the loads are safe and within correct pressures.............

If you want to blow up your .40 Glock go right ahead and reload. That happened to my wife 18 years ago when she was shooting my Glock 23 with reloads. It blew the top of the barrel off, the side of the frame out and the magazine out of the bottom of the gun. It stunned my wife's hand, fortunately the polymer frame absorbed most of the energy or she could have lost her hand. (She now only shoots revolvers.) It was a total loss and Glock voids the warranty when you shoot reloads. They never did send my broken gun back to me. I have pictures somewhere, if I find them I will post. Fortunately the gunstore owner who sold me the reloads replaced my Glock 23, which has been shooting without a hitch for 18 years with factory ammo. If you insist on reloading for a Glock, things to remember, they will shoot, while out of battery, you need to chamber check each round, and might want to consider an aftermarket barrel like Bartsow makes they seem more tolerant of reloads that the factory hexagonal barrels, but there is no guarantee the same thing won't happen with these. With reloading supplies scarce and voided factory warranties I personally don't recommend it especially if you are new to reloading and not an expert.

I smell a troll..... Who has the popcorn?

actually, hes not the only one to have that happen.

one of our managers had a NIB G22 with scope. he bought the gun and ammo (reloads) (reloader was/is friend of gun store owner and was sold in the store too, store owner said the reloads were "okay" to use in G22). His frist mag - KB.

I had a chance to see what was left of the gun. The upper was blown off. the mag was blown out and damaged along with some of the lower. The scope and mount was toast. the shooter only suffered sore webbing between his thumb and first finger.

He found the offending brass too. It fit the chamber perfecty and where the chamber was unsupported is where it blew out. Peeled brass back. one thing i noticed was that it appeared that it may have fired out of battery or the LOA/case may have been long or?, but i didnt have a round to compare it against so im not sure if it was out of battery. I wish i would have asked him for what was left of the gun since i belive he tossed what was left. gun and scope and all.

Glock wouldnt do anything and the gun store owner didnt either. He said he took it to small claims court against the store owner and he didnt win there either.

he gave me the rest of ammo. I randomly pulled and measured the components of 10 rounds. they were all winchester virgin brass. bullets were 145 gr JHP and 5.4 gr of unknown flake powder. the powder from all 10 pulled rounds were 5.4 +/-0.1 gr.

i know that there are alot of Glock lovers out there and consider it the "users" fault for things to go KB. what ever the issue is, i would not be a happy camper if it happed to me. also, for my taste, there are way too many KBs in Glocks for whatever reason.

what is causing this on the glock? I thought the only major problem with the glock is the polygonal (spelling) rifling?

Why would a reload do this in particular, when if properly sized, trimmed, and remanufactured it is essentially the same as a factory load.

Call me a moron, but if the guy making the ammo is doing all his work, and there is quite a bit, the gun shouldnt know what kind of ammo it is being fed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top