JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sure don't want to be an early adopter! (Actually, I would never buy one) Let the police and politician's bodyguard be the first to try it out. I've enough experience with facial recognition and fingerprint recognition technology to know it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Here is the website link for Biofire for those that are interested about the technology. Check out the FAQ.

Last Edited:
You have a typo in the title. It should read "biofire stupid gun". :s0112:

Why the bubblegum would you want some electronic nanny between you and your ability to pull the trigger? That's the last thing in the world I would want. Imo this is a foolish design. You pull the trigger it should go bang, not wait for approval from some electronics before it fires.

If someone is worried about getting shot by someone else with their own gun then they shouldn't give it to them. They should give them a bullet instead.

Last Edited:
1711055291591.png

What a bulbous, ungainly POS.

Some indoctrinated, High School tekki with an idealistic idea.

Kai Kloepfer, CEO and founder of Biofire, began trying to develop a smart gun as a high school student rattled by the 2012 shooting in Aurora, Colo.

What he REALLY did was outsmart everybody by getting anti provided funding (just a guess) and figured out a way to make bank.

It puts more guns in the hands of the average American, particularly people who would not ordinarily go out and buy a gun.
That increases the likelihood that those people will go to a range and practice at some point.
That increases the amount of time they spend with other gun owners.
That increases the likelihood they will try other guns.
That increases their knowledge of and familiarity with guns in general.
That increases the likelihood of them becoming more pro-gun than they are today.

Seems like not a bad thing overall. I wouldn't replace my collection with smart guns, but I would try it out.

I wouldn't replace my collection with smart guns, but I would try it out.
Our of curiosity, why? My Bluetooth connection to my speaker doesn't always work, and I have to always turn things off and turn them back on again to get them working properly. Why would I want something like that?

Whelp...it's ugly, I'll give him that.

Trump should publish the debate footage where Brandon says that all guns should be biometric. And then he should demand that Brandon put his money where his mouth is and make this gun the standard issues side arm of the Secret Service...and Capitol Police. Lead by example Brandon and show us the way!

It puts more guns in the hands of the average American, particularly people who would not ordinarily go out and buy a gun.
I don't see how it would, the type of people who don't want to carry guns wont care about biometrics. Assuming the technology is perfected, then nothing has changed except the bad guy cant use the gun. That doesn't change the willingness to use a gun in a life threatening situation.

I'm not against the idea but it would have to develop to solid 100% perfection without any legislative agenda to switch before I would consider it.

Our of curiosity, why? My Bluetooth connection to my speaker doesn't always work, and I have to always turn things off and turn them back on again to get them working properly. Why would I want something like that?
Because I'm a nerd just as much as I am a gun enthusiast. It's a neat concept and I want to see how it works. The firearms market has some of the most demanding standards in terms reliability, without which a company's reputation becomes junk and they eventually go bankrupt. However, I've seen several interviews with their development team walking through what they did and how they did it, and it seems like they've gone the extra mile to ensure their product will perform reliably in the real world application they have designed it for.

Aside from that, I want to support companies that pursue technical innovations in the arms industry as a whole, whether that's smart guns, smart scopes, gausse rifles, rail guns, directed energy weapons, or anything else. Arms technology has not evolved all that much since the advent of the brass-cased cartridge in 1846.
Revolvers firing brass came in 1854, lever action rifles in 1860, the machine gun in 1884, the auto-loading pistol in 1893, and the automatic rifle in 1915. Since then there have been plenty of improvements to the technology, but almost every change has been a variation on the same core theme - weapons firing brass-cased cartridges. I want to see the industry embrace innovation and push the boundaries of what is possible with defensive technologies.

I don't see how it would, the type of people who don't want to carry guns wont care about biometrics. Assuming the technology is perfected, then nothing has changed except the bad guy cant use the gun. That doesn't change the willingness to use a gun in a life threatening situation.

I'm not against the idea but it would have to develop to solid 100% perfection without any legislative agenda to switch before I would consider it.
Their target market isn't gun people, and the intended use is not carry, it's to keep in a holster/charger in the home, readily accessible when needed. I wouldn't expect most people on this forum to be interested in it aside from as a curiosity, simply because most of us are comfortable with guns as they are and want as few steps between us and stopping a threat as possible. I will point out that Biofire has gone out of its way to oppose any legislation mandating smart gun tech, even though they would stand to gain significantly by it. They simply want to be an option for people to consider and choose if it suits their needs, not forced upon people unwillingly. To me that makes them an ally of the industry and a company worth supporting.

Their target market isn't gun people, and the intended use is not carry, it's to keep in a holster/charger in the home, readily accessible when needed.
Thats a very small marketing window competing with fast access biometric safes. If their technology can be proven 100% I can see it expanding to the carry market.

Thats a very small marketing window competing with fast access biometric safes. If their technology can be proven 100% I can see it expanding to the carry market.
The market we have is saturated with well established brands and trusted products, so they carved out their own niche in an area our industry has largely ignored. It's a smart move for a new company launching a cutting edge product - minimizes competition and helps them feel out the boundaries of that new market. It also increases awareness within that untapped community of consumers, which can lead to broadening of that market as their product becomes mainstream. Bandaids, Qtips, and Kleenex were brands that became synonymous with the description of the product regardless of who's name is on the packaging. They have the opportunity to do the same thing with smart gun tech. If it works, they will likely develop things that are more applicable to the main firearms industry. My guess is a subcompact carry pistol will be next. Either that or a home defense shotgun or carbine.

The only thing this gun will accomplish is more gun control. It's a way to restrict guns and CA and others will latch onto it as soon as they can requiring all guns to be "biometric safe" or whatever. This gun's existence is not just bad for the owner, it's bad for all gun owners in general Imo. It will lead to more regulation. cA law:

Seems like CA had/has? a gun law where all guns had to be biometric but the technology didn't exist at the time. I can't recall maybe someone here remembers. This gun gives them exactly what they want, a way to limit guns in civilian hands. It is a really bad turn of events and I hope the product dies out quickly cuz once CA finds a way to reduce # of guns then WA, OR, IL and others will follow suit.

Imo anyone buying this gun is speeding up gun control. I woidl be surprised if CA is not already working behind the scenes to implement their biometric law which woudl mean this is the only gun people in CA can buy. And soon wa and or too most likely.

E5AD7304-CCC0-4C30-A10F-B71FBC1C390D.jpeg

Last Edited:
Imo anyone buying this gun is speeding up gun control. I woidl be surprised if CA is not already working behind the scenes to implement their biometric law which woudl mean this is the only gun people in CA can buy.
Yep - the 'EV' of the gun industry - and I would suspect the market demographics of those who buy one will be of a similar mindset.

Looks like CA is trying to push through biometric gun legislation in Nov. 2024. See article below.

If this gun had no market and died out then they can't implement these new gun controls on Americans.

If however people are stupid enough to buy this gun that directly leads to future gun control and it sells, then CA can implement their law.

It's very similar to micro stamping. They can pass laws that require all guns to be microstamped. But if those guns don't exist they can't get away with that gun control.

Again anyone who buys this gun because it's some "new and shiny" thing is hurting the entire cause of civilian gun ownership in the USA.

From the article:

"California initiative would set new standards for gun safety in the state. The Gun Violence Prevention Act has been proposed for inclusion on the November 2024 general election ballot by Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen.

The law would dictate that, starting a year after passage, all new firearms sold in California would include an integrated trigger lock and storage system. The lock could be biometric, according to the proposal. By five years later, all firearms would be required to have biometric locks."

New Jersey has a law that will make only "personalized handguns" available for sale to the public. The law is activated when the state AG determines that such handguns are available for retail sales - he is to check every 6 months. He will then assemble a list of "personalized handguns" available, and henceforth, only those guns on the list can be sold in NJ.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top