JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The youth share (18-29) of the voting pool in 2016 was ~16%. Know what it was in 2020? It was ~17%.

The average age of the House is 57 years old while the average age in the Senate is 62. Trump was what, 73 when he said, "ban the bump stocks."

If this world is not going the direction you want it to go...don't be scapegoating the young.

Wasn't meaning to scapegoat anyone. Just made them open their eyes on what is in store for "their generation" if they don't do something about it soon. REAL SOON.

:s0155:

Wasn't meaning to scapegoat anyone. Just made them open their eyes on what is in store for "their generation" if they don't do something about it soon. REAL SOON.

:s0155:

And on that note, I agree whole heartedly.

It's interesting times. When you look at the hand that a portion of the millennial generation was dealt and you look at what the government did at the time...it is easily understandable why many in that cohort are supportive of student debt forgiveness, universal basic income, etc...the kinds of policies that, essentially, bail you out of bad life decisions. And why would they not think this was okay? During their formative years they saw the government bail out the auto industry, the banking industry, and line the pockets of Wall St.

And, next up, we have a generation that is seeing their government royally screw over citizens and businesses with the pandemic response. People losing everything and being compensated what, a few grand? (I'm looking forward to the public outcry when Trump's tax cuts expire and Biden's administration essentially asks for the money back next April)

So, this younger, college age gen is trending much more conservative/libertarian. It's nice to see the pendulum swing back a bit. I think we'll do alright.

Just in case, I've got my tropical island already picked out.

From the same poll:

imrs.php

imrs.php

imrs.php

Hello old dudes, young whippersnapper here. My conclusion is that a lot of the younger generation feel entitled because of the way they were raised. There are many exceptions of course, but the majority shows this to be true.

So, now that we are blaming both sides... everyone can be happy, right? Lol

-Robert

A lot of 'em were raised by, what would have been if I had kids, their children. So what the hell did all you old dudes do to your kids that caused them to teach their children to be such lazy, entitled snots? I also believe kids that were raised hunting, shooting, camping, fishing outdoorsy stuff and taught responsibility are generally better adjusted than the "Kids" we are discussing here.

AR-15s at 20 feet and they are still missing the paper. Be afraid...Be very afraid!
When I watched that all I could think was they are not much of a threat to anyone else who can shoot. With poor skills like that I can see them dropping the gun and running when they start getting shot at by someone who can actually shoot. That kook who tried to blow up the Immigration lock up here claimed to be a member of that group.

From the same poll:

imrs.php

imrs.php

imrs.php
Once they use the quantifier "reduce gun violence " in the question, it instantly skewed the poll. Imagine if they added "ensuring freedom and equal rights for all" after the protect gun rights portion? Bias is gonna bias, then show off their numbers like they mean something.

"Holding the hands" is your language, not mine. You'd do better to read and respond to what I've actually said. I encourage you to do so.

Libertarianism by necessity respects and holds space for other people's freedom. If your libertarianism isn't others-centered, you're just advocating for a bunch of babies acting out.

Seeing how many gun owners in this thread willingly make fools of themselves trying to dunk on one person with a more complicated POV than them illustrates my point about gun owners being bad examples of citizens. Your Us vs. Them attitude is always on, and anyone who doesn't question you or make you feel uncomfortable is with you, while anyone who does ask questions or make points that make you feel uncomfortable is Them.

You're regurgitating propaganda and dealing in ignorance and fear-mongering. Don't mistake yourself for the free thinker. Be honest with yourself — there's at least dignity in that.
Thanks for not actually addressing the question! Instead you resorted to the classic "I am too smart for you" fallacy! You remind me of when a 5th grader starts to discover big words and starts attempting to flaunt them over their "inferior" classmates!

The irony is that you seem to have a pattern of opening huge, sweeping attacks against a large group of people who did absolutely nothing to provoke you! Then when people push you to defend your statements, you assume your almighty throne and explain how intolerant and ignorant everybody is.

It's okay though, I am used to people like you; I work with them everyday...at an Elementary school ;)

The generational squabbling is ironic, if you think about it. Who are the "Boomers"? They're the hippy generation.

The WWII generation didn't want their kids to suffer and struggle the way they did, so they coddled them a bit, and the hippies were the result: the "young generation", going to change the world, throw off the old ways and make their own rules. Most of them eventually grew up and learned how to work. :)

The millennials will do fine too. On an individual level, generational labels mean nothing. I know quite a few millennials who are some of the hardest working, ambitious people around, and I know a few "boomers" who are still lazy hippies. I guess I'm a "Gen-X" though I don't label myself, and couldn't care less.
My dad "worked hard" according to the traditional sense of the word. And, what I mean is, he had a job that he devoted himself to fully.
I have to agree with your opinion on this. There's a part of American culture that says it's admirable to work yourself to death. 60, 70, 80 hour weeks are things that people brag about. You're a Manly-Man if you work, work, work all the time, and bring in a big income you use to buy lots of toys.

A long-time coworker retired a couple years ago. He's a great guy, but one thing he mentioned about his decades as a truck driver was that his one regret was that he worked so many hours that he missed a lot of his kids growing up. I won't do that. My priority is my family. If we have to get by on a little less and not have all the nice toys, then so be it. The occasional 50 or 60 hour week is fine when necessary, but on average 40 is plenty for me, and I won't feel bad about that.

A long-time coworker retired a couple years ago. He's a great guy, but one thing he mentioned about his decades as a truck driver was that his one regret was that he worked so many hours that he missed a lot of his kids growing up. I won't do that. My priority is my family. If we have to get by on a little less and not have all the nice toys, then so be it. The occasional 50 or 60 hour week is fine when necessary, but on average 40 is plenty for me, and I won't feel bad about that.
I have zero problems with those who do not want to work so many hours / days that they never have any time for family. Its kind of funny how whenever the "lack of work ethic" comes up this is where people jump :s0092:
I missed the part where anyone accused those who work 40 hours a week as being slackers so someone has to be reading a lot into this.
Again I can't speak for others but when I complain about lack of work ethic I am talking about people who cant come to work on Monday because they had too much fun on the weekend. Friday because the sun came out and they need to do something other than work. Better yet they just "can't" get to work on time. Here they insert all the excuses from traffic to the dog ate my alarm clock. Had a co worker a short time ago who was fine when you got them to work. In a matter of a couple weeks pulled 2 no call no show's. Second time when they finally rolled in 2 hours late they kept trying to show me their cell phone. To show me they had an alarm set and something was "wrong". I told them Mom and Dad do not work here. Don't know how long you think the company will let this slide but, if you want this job you need to stop on way home, buy a big boy alarm clock, and show up for work.

I have zero problems with those who do not want to work so many hours / days that they never have any time for family. Its kind of funny how whenever the "lack of work ethic" comes up this is where people jump :s0092:
I missed the part where anyone accused those who work 40 hours a week as being slackers so someone has to be reading a lot into this.
Again I can't speak for others but when I complain about lack of work ethic I am talking about people who cant come to work on Monday because they had too much fun on the weekend. Friday because the sun came out and they need to do something other than work. Better yet they just "can't" get to work on time. Here they insert all the excuses from traffic to the dog ate my alarm clock. Had a co worker a short time ago who was fine when you got them to work. In a matter of a couple weeks pulled 2 no call no show's. Second time when they finally rolled in 2 hours late they kept trying to show me their cell phone. To show me they had an alarm set and something was "wrong". I told them Mom and Dad do not work here. Don't know how long you think the company will let this slide but, if you want this job you need to stop on way home, buy a big boy alarm clock, and show up for work.
I agree with you on that. My comments weren't really in regards to work ethic, just long weeks. I've never had a problem showing up for work on time and getting my work done while there. That does seem to be a problem for a lot of people though. My 16yo daughter recently got her first job at Walmart, part time. She's making a lot more than I did at my first job, even adjusting for inflation, and they want her to work more hours than she can.

Why? She shows up on time, every day she's scheduled, and does her job without goofing off or complaining.

I agree with you on that. My comments weren't really in regards to work ethic, just long weeks. I've never had a problem showing up for work on time and getting my work done while there. That does seem to be a problem for a lot of people though. My 16yo daughter recently got her first job at Walmart, part time. She's making a lot more than I did at my first job, even adjusting for inflation, and they want her to work more hours than she can.

Why? She shows up on time, every day she's scheduled, and does her job without goofing off or complaining.
That is the one "up side" to how many will not work now. Those who do try and show up, will often find the employer willing to train and move them. When this "free money" comes to an end, which it will, those who worked and have a good solid start will be making it while those who could have cared less will be crying.
Last union shop I worked at did not take long before I was paid above my position. The Co would find ways to pay "merit" pay or whatever they called it to keep me around. Reason was I did not do the absolute minimum needed to keep my job.

Again I can't speak for others but when I complain about lack of work ethic I am talking about people who cant come to work on Monday because they had too much fun on the weekend. Friday because the sun came out and they need to do something other than work. Better yet they just "can't" get to work on time. Here they insert all the excuses from traffic to the dog ate my alarm clock. Had a co worker a short time ago who was fine when you got them to work. In a matter of a couple weeks pulled 2 no call no show's. Second time when they finally rolled in 2 hours late they kept trying to show me their cell phone. To show me they had an alarm set and something was "wrong".

Man, you sound like you work where my wife does. Couldn't have nailed it any better!

A lot of 'em were raised by, what would have been if I had kids, their children. So what the hell did all you old dudes do to your kids that caused them to teach their children to be such lazy, entitled snots? I also believe kids that were raised hunting, shooting, camping, fishing outdoorsy stuff and taught responsibility are generally better adjusted than the "Kids" we are discussing here.

I'm not sure how other kids were raised, but I pretty much raised myself. No one to teach me those things, so when I got the opportunity, I learned (and am still learning) to do it myself. I also learned work ethic real quick thanks to my first job, and a lot about the law and enforcement of said law (both it's upsides and pitfalls) when I was a teenager.

I had some crappy friends, and some good... fortunately I was able to discern between the two. So, besides parents, friends also play a big role... some will do a lot of dumb stuff to fit in; however, I was never the fitting in type. (Also, I learned at the age of 6 to not fall into peer pressure by a girl who wanted me to break some rules... but that's a different story lol)

Speaking of work ethic, in one of the local overland groups, an employee of Warn posted that a ton of jobs are now available in Clackamas. Nearly the first comment is someone complaining he doesn't want to commute 10-15 miles to have a job... I am baffled at that kind of response.

-Robert

The generational squabbling is ironic, if you think about it. Who are the "Boomers"? They're the hippy generation.

The WWII generation didn't want their kids to suffer and struggle the way they did, so they coddled them a bit, and the hippies were the result: the "young generation", going to change the world, throw off the old ways and make their own rules. Most of them eventually grew up and learned how to work. :)

I'm afraid it's impossible to know what some time in years gone by was actually like without being there. Hunter S. Thompson said it best:

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullbubblegum, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Last Edited:
For those of us who are PARENTS. And maybe......we secretly wonder, "What role did I play with my kids development?" So perhaps, is easier/better to ask yourself?

Where are your kids today?

Protesting in Portlandia?
Demanding to defund the Police?
Destroying public and/or private property in the city?
Disobeying curfew and fighting with the police who would like them to leave the area?
Blocking traffic and/or throwing objects and hitting the passing vehicles because the vehicle dared to cross their line?
Demanding reparations for "special groups of people" based on claimed injustice and/or past wrongs?
Demanding a separate justice system and punishment based along racial lines?
Looking to engage in violence with the "other group" who don't agree because of their religious or political views?

Or......

Maybe, they are sitting at home, wondering when that next FREEBIE GOVT check will arrive?
Perhaps, they are counting the days until the $10K (or maybe $50k) will be forgiven for their student loan(s)?
Maybe, playing that video game that is the latest rage?
Relaxing.....smoking that MJ cigarette (that stinks up the house)?

Or......

Maybe they are in school?
Working F/T or even P/T?

OK, Ok, ok.....we love our kids. BUT.....whatever.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Mine.....is in the USMC (so, at least for now....I can be proud of that).

Last Edited:
He started his day in 2nd grade, then read a bit from his library book and did homework. It's close to bedtime.

I doubt we can pin the current state of the world on his slim shoulders.

Newest T-shirt logo will probably say......

"I lived through the Riots (or Peaceful Protests) of 2020 and all I got was this new firearm."

Still working on getting enough ammo though. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS....or modify it to......

"I lived through the Peaceful Riots of 2020 and all I got was this T-shirt and a new firearm.
Still working on getting ammo though."
I'd buy a couple for me and my friends, lol!!

(...) Nearly the first comment is someone complaining he doesn't want to commute 10-15 miles to have a job... I am baffled at that kind of response.

-Robert

I've noticed that up here in Portland. It's not just work - people won't drive far for anything. I come from Phoenix, AZ...where driving 15 miles is par for the course just to leave your immediate neighborhood.

For those of us who are PARENTS. And maybe......we secretly wonder, "What role did I play with my kids development?" So perhaps, is easier/better to ask yourself?

Where are your kids today?

Protesting in Portlandia?
Demanding to defund the Police?
Destroying public and/or private property in the city?
Disobeying curfew and fighting with the police who would like them to leave the area?
Blocking traffic and/or throwing objects and hitting the passing vehicles because the vehicle dared to cross their line?
Demanding reparations for "special groups of people" based on claimed injustice and/or past wrongs?
Demanding a separate justice system and punishment based along racial lines?
Looking to engage in violence with the "other group" who don't agree because of their political views?

Or......

Maybe, they are sitting at home, wondering when that next FREEBIE GOVT check will arrive?
Perhaps, they are counting the days until the $10K (or maybe $50k) will be forgiven for their student loan(s)?
Maybe, playing that video game that is the latest rage?
Relaxing.....smoking that MJ cigarette (that stinks up the house)?

Or......

Maybe they are in school?
Working F/T or even P/T?

OK, Ok, ok.....we love our kids. BUT.....whatever.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Mine.....is in the USMC (so, at least for now....I can be proud of that).
Going to church, homeschooling their kids, running a farm, and working full time.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top