JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Curiosity makes me ask, when did you notice these judgemental feelings?

Could you give us some examples our collective bad citizenship?

Perhaps a few examples of our low level dichotomous thinking that passes for patriotism?

Would you please show us the error our ways, and straighten us all out on all the lies that media and internet charlatans have duped us with?
When you say "us" do you mean to say that you admit you're one of the gun owners that is a terrible example of good citizenship? Or are you in fact being disingenuous in your post?

I do think disingenuousness is a classic example of bad citizenship.

As far as showing you the err of your ways, you should take some responsibility for yourself, quit asking for free work from other people like me, and try earning your own education. I don't have time for sarcastic thugs who expect other people to do the work they should have already done for themselves.

Relax guys, don't get into it with Billy and derail the thread. Billy is a well known leftist here, and you won't get anywhere with him. The ideological divide is too vast and it will just get ugly.

I actually respect the fact that he chooses to come here and associate with us at all, considering what he thinks of most of us.
I agree most folks on here shouldn't get into it with me, but I don't think your assumptions about me are accurate w/r/t what I think of "most of you."

I simply keep my own counsel, and that does not make me popular in echo chambers on the internet.

I won't get into it with you, not because I think you have any sort of imposing intellect or convincing arguments, but because I've read enough of your posts to realize that you are well versed in your leftist ideology, to the point that you will never change your mind, no matter what. There is no point in getting into it with someone like that.

Not to say that you're not a sincere or likable person. I have relatives who I like a lot; they're great people, but their ideology is much like yours. They have all the arguments, know all the leftist terminology, and hold their wacky views with a religious fervor. We get along fine and never discuss politics. There's just no point in it.

It's too bad, because I think there are actually quite a few things that we would agree on, but any conversation inevitably goes off the rails into the things that we don't.

If true , then I am glad that some folks have "turned against gun control laws".

I do however take exception to the statement that :
Gun owners are generally terrible representatives of good citizenship, and most young people understand that.

While I can't and will not argue with you or your experiences , 'cause I ain't you and our perception of things may vary...
I can say that in my experiences , gun owners are generally excellent representatives of good citizenship.

Well so what...? Some may say.

The "so what" is that ....
What one person experiences can be vastly different from someone else..even if they share an interest in the same the thing.
And while that experience may be true for them....it may not be true for others.
Just pointing out the above , as something to consider...not trying to argue or cause a fuss.
Andy

I won't get into it with you, not because I think you have any sort of imposing intellect or convincing arguments, but because I've read enough of your posts to realize that you are well versed in your leftist ideology, to the point that you will never change your mind, no matter what. There is no point in getting into it with someone like that.

Not to say that you're not a sincere or likable person. I have relatives who I like a lot; they're great people, but their ideology is much like yours. They have all the arguments, know all the leftist terminology, and hold their wacky views with a religious fervor. We get along fine and never discuss politics. There's just no point in it.

It's too bad, because I think there are actually quite a few things that we would agree on, but any conversation inevitably goes off the rails into the things that we don't.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

When you say "us" do you mean to say that you admit you're one of the gun owners that is a terrible example of good citizenship? Or are you in fact being disingenuous in your post?

I do think disingenuousness is a classic example of bad citizenship.

As far as showing you the err of your ways, you should take some responsibility for yourself, quit asking for free work from other people like me, and try earning your own education. I don't have time for sarcastic thugs who expect other people to do the work they should have already done for themselves.

You accused us of being terrible examples of good citizenship.

You are being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

You came here and made derogatory comments. I merely asked you provide examples to substantiate your opinions.

You declined to do so. AMF.

My wife and I are in our mid 30s. We take folks out shooting occasionally.
A friend and former employee wanted to test out her new handgun with us today. She's 24. Up until she met me, she was absolutely against firearms. She got robbed in the parking lot at work and was still against them. When she was finally presented with the idea that even if law abiding citizens and police gave them up, criminals wouldn't, she bent the other way.
By the end of the day she was pinging steel at 65 yards with an AR pistol rocking nothing but irons.
It looks brighter than some imagine.

Gun owners are generally terrible representatives of good citizenship, and most young people understand that. Younger people are not so tied to the low-level dichotomous thinking that passes for patriotism, not tied to the NRA, and are much, much less easily duped by media companies and internet charlatans.

Of course the thing they have working against them is that young people always think they're right.
A great description of a stereotypical, non-existent, population of gun owners. Bill Maher, of all people, said it best:

"You know the reason why advertisers in this country love the 18 to 34 demographic?" Maher said. "Because it's the most gullible. Yeah. A third of people under 35 say they're in favor of abolishing the police — not defunding, but doing away with a police force altogether, which is less of a policy position and more of a leg tattoo. Thirty-six percent of millennials think it might be a good idea to try communism, but much of the world did try it."

"I know, millennials think that doesn't count because they weren't alive when it happened. But it did happen. And there are people around who remember it. Pining for communism?" he continued. "It's like pining for Betamax or Myspace. So when you say "You're old, you don't get it." Get what? Abolish the police and the Border Patrol and capitalism and cancel Lincoln? No, I get it. The problem isn't that I don't get what you're saying or that I'm old. The problem is that your ideas are stupid."

Maher also blasted people who sit around on Twitch watching other people play video games and who spend an excessive amount of time playing around on their smartphones.

"Twenty percent of Gen Z agree with the statement, 'society would be better off if all property was owned by the public and managed by the government,' and another 29% saying they don't know if that's a good idea," Maher concluded. "Here's who does know: anyone who wasn't born yesterday."

Thirty-six percent of millennials think it might be a good idea to try communism, but much of the world did try it."

"Twenty percent of Gen Z agree with the statement, 'society would be better off if all property was owned by the public and managed by the government,' and another 29% saying they don't know if that's a good idea," Maher concluded. "Here's who does know: anyone who wasn't born yesterday."
Okay. As far as I can tell; none of these "statistics" correlate to "a majority"

:rolleyes:

It means 2/3rds of Millennials (formerly Gen Y by the by, including people born in 1982 like myself) and almost 3/4, probably 13/16ths of Gen Zs (those kids born in mid 90s to 2010s?)
does not believe the same stuff cited. Sure a large portion of Zs "don't know if its a good idea or bad". It just means they need to learn/get educated.

Okay. As far as I can tell; none of these "statistics" correlate to "a majority"

It means 2/3rds of Millennials (formerly Gen Y by the by, including people born in 1982 like myself) and almost 3/4, probably 13/16ths of Gen Zs (those kids born in mid 90s to 2010s?)
does not believe the same stuff cited. Sure a large portion of Zs "don't know if its a good idea or bad". It just means they need to learn/get educated.
That's not the point. The point is that instead of taking these ignorant children seriously, we should laugh at their stupid ideas.

I definitely did not mean to suggest not to netbang on me because of some self-percieved imposing intellect, etc. — I hope that was clear. I'm a libertarian in the actual, non-anarchocapitalist sense — which is to say I'm pro-freedom and equality for everyone. I consider that more American than leftist. It sounds like you disagree, which is great and keeps things interesting. Like you, though, I bet if we met in real life, we'd quickly find things we enjoy talking about more than political philosophy.

Normally I won't waste my time pushing back on the netbangers here in the forums, but it is important to remind people that the loudest voices do not get to define what it means to be pro-2A. Not to score a gotcha with the blowhards, but because there are nascent or socially-peripheral gun owners who may not yet have the confidence or experience to be able to speak up in this type of adversarial venue. So sometimes I see some dumb crap on here and I call it like I see it. Who cares. I mean, it's basically always 20-on-1 when I do — why are you guys (not you individually @CLT65 ) the sensitive ones?

You accused us of being terrible examples of good citizenship.

You are being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

You came here and made derogatory comments. I merely asked you provide examples to substantiate your opinions.

You declined to do so. AMF.
No bud, you're just in a little over your waders and don't realize it. But that's ok — I'm not worth the trouble.

No, it is means a percentage of 2/3rds of Millennials and 13/16ths of Gen Zs do not believe the same stuff cited and another percentage are undecided. I'd bet not long ago it was under 10%. Either way those are alarming numbers and some really scary chit, given historical facts.

That's not the point. The point is that instead of taking these ignorant children seriously, we should laugh at their stupid ideas.
ZZZ, you're posting some goofy, made-up, no-source interview from Bill Maher as your appeal to authority? You take his hot air as gospel and construct your own straw man based on his cultural analysis of young people? Bill Maher is one of the most grifty dudes in all of media. The only people who care about Bill Maher are lazy, low-information blowhards who either love him or love-to-hate him. I'm not even going to go into how the whole premise of what he posits is immediately and verifiably false because I do not believe you are earnestly making this argument. We just don't have time for this in 2021.

Waiting patiently and politely for the explanation of how "Gun owners are generally terrible representatives of good citizenship".
Ah, I apologize for keeping you waiting! I had no idea that you existed, let alone were owed an explaination by me for stating my opinion! Yes indeed, how polite you are! Yes, you are absolutely entitled to whatever you want from a stranger on the internet! You'll notice I've had my hands full with a bunch of real Reply Guys on here who have been hoping to dunk on me, lol. Keep waiting — you're doing great.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top