JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tell children they can't have something and guess what, they start to want it.

orrrrrrrr….. JUST maybe…..

They realize that when a Democrat tells you (and insists) that you don't "need" something, that means you need at LEAST two of whatever it is they're talking about.

I could go on about multiple shotguns…. but y'all know that. :s0108:

orrrrrrrr….. JUST maybe…..

They realize that when a Democrat tells you (and insists) that you don't "need" something, that means you need at LEAST two of whatever it is they're talking about.

I could go on about multiple shotguns…. but y'all know that. :s0108:

I am in the market for a shotgun. What should I get? (Lol)

My experience is limited to a 20ga SKB side by side (grouse hunting). But... thinking semi auto is where I want to go.

-Robert

Oh yeah, the millennia old "walked 20 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot". Don't you all get too worked up, your parents said the same about your generation...sheesh.

It's not about "generational squabbling." My generation either went to Viet Nam or were dope-smoking hippies, but both sets got careers and went to work, didn't call in sick just 'cause they didn't feel like going to work that day.

This is a new day. The millennials and Gen Z folks call in simply 'cause they don't feel like going to work that day. They may like guns because they love playing Halo, CoD, Doom, Titanfall, whatever (my kids moved out, so I don't know what the current favorites are), but they sure as hell ain't voting for the party that supports RKBA.

I generally agree with the broad stroke of your analysis. We differ on why things are the way they are.

Yes, they have lots of money and they spend it. Largely because a large chunk of this group gets $40K or so per semester in loans and grants, which they are supposed to spend on tuition, books, housing, and food. It is my observation, living in a town with a very large university which is the single largest industry around here, that there are whole industries (Grub Hub, etc.) built around delivering $40 cheeseburgers to dormitories.

And it is precisely because these people are NOT quick to call out BS by companies whose entreaties older generations are generally ARE sophisticated enough to be aware of, that these industries exist. These people are loved by corporations for the same reason that the most naive poker player is loved by his comrades, who send a cab for him so he can get to the game. Such nice guys.

Back in the 60's and 70's when people ran out of money and the economy was in danger of stalling we invented the credit card so people could spend money they didn't yet have. Once everyone had credit cards with balances things began to stall again, so we put stay at home spouses to work. When that fresh cash was absorbed by the economy and things began to stall again, we invented 2nd mortgages. It's no coincidence that late 1960's-70's cars were designed for 30 year old defense industry and construction workers, or that 1980's cars were designed to appeal to middle aged homeowners, or that 1990's cars were designed to appeal to 30 something women. Design indeed follows function, but even more so, it follows the money, as do most American products. The latest booster shot for the economy has been college tuition loans, producing a group of the most naive consumers in history, who have relatively large amounts of cash available, and not much of it committed to anything. Thus the era of the $40 delivery cheeseburger.

To echo Maher, it's not that I don't understand what you are saying. It's not that I don't "get" modern technology. It's that what you are saying runs counter to my experience of the world, a body of experience that you (et al) don't have. I tell my 25 year old the way something irrefutably, provably is and has always been, and I get back, "Yes, but I think it works this way." To him there are no such things as objective facts. Everything is an opinion and all opinions have equal value, which is clearly NOT the case, unless you haven't lived much.

No we're not going to agree on these things, or many others probably, because we stand on different planets. Yours is 30 some years old and mine is 70 some years old. I see patterns and trends over time that you do not. That is plain fact. The current patterns and trends will come to an end and be replaced by new ones. And we will all wonder why we thought the way we did 20 years ago.

Bravo!

What do they call it these days... 'pwned'?

Young adults need to live through more than one cycle of Saturn revolving around the Sun, before they may become enlightened to the wisdom necessary to adapt and endure in an everchanging dynamic environment.

Seemingly know-it-all idealistic kiddos sure are cute though --- Especially when they paint with broad brush-strokes; labeling gun owners as "generally terrible representatives of good citizenship".

Hey man, I resemble those remarks.

At least y'all have some good music that defines your generation coming out these days...

Roffle Mao!

My experience is limited to a 20ga SKB side by side (grouse hunting). But... thinking semi auto is where I want to go.

-Robert
Probably something like this ...
Screenshot_20210430-081507_DuckDuckGo.jpg

-Robert

A Mossberg 930 is a great affordable semi-auto option….

I have two of them that I can swap around parts with, and there's a healthy aftermarket of upgrades and other stuff for them.

0E2D487F-3331-4AEB-A820-F37ED6B903CF.jpeg 823D8160-C4D8-4489-AFD2-060872BFF8CA.jpeg AA557D82-5B11-4DF4-82F2-9A43049DCCBA.jpeg 57FBE868-6A5D-46A6-9DB2-6C8B06109700.jpeg 5C0EE528-0767-4138-BE22-A3A18F442628.jpeg

I generally agree with the broad stroke of your analysis. We differ on why things are the way they are.

Yes, they have lots of money and they spend it. Largely because a large chunk of this group gets $40K or so per semester in loans and grants, which they are supposed to spend on tuition, books, housing, and food. It is my observation, living in a town with a very large university which is the single largest industry around here, that there are whole industries (Grub Hub, etc.) built around delivering $40 cheeseburgers to dormitories.

And it is precisely because these people are NOT quick to call out BS by companies whose entreaties older generations are generally ARE sophisticated enough to be aware of, that these industries exist. These people are loved by corporations for the same reason that the most naive poker player is loved by his comrades, who send a cab for him so he can get to the game. Such nice guys.

Back in the 60's and 70's when people ran out of money and the economy was in danger of stalling we invented the credit card so people could spend money they didn't yet have. Once everyone had credit cards with balances things began to stall again, so we put stay at home spouses to work. When that fresh cash was absorbed by the economy and things began to stall again, we invented 2nd mortgages. It's no coincidence that late 1960's-70's cars were designed for 30 year old defense industry and construction workers, or that 1980's cars were designed to appeal to middle aged homeowners, or that 1990's cars were designed to appeal to 30 something women. Design indeed follows function, but even more so, it follows the money, as do most American products. The latest booster shot for the economy has been college tuition loans, producing a group of the most naive consumers in history, who have relatively large amounts of cash available, and not much of it committed to anything. Thus the era of the $40 delivery cheeseburger.

To echo Maher, it's not that I don't understand what you are saying. It's not that I don't "get" modern technology. It's that what you are saying runs counter to my experience of the world, a body of experience that you (et al) don't have. I tell my 25 year old the way something irrefutably, provably is and has always been, and I get back, "Yes, but I think it works this way." To him there are no such things as objective facts. Everything is an opinion and all opinions have equal value, which is clearly NOT the case, unless you haven't lived much.

No we're not going to agree on these things, or many others probably, because we stand on different planets. Yours is 30 some years old and mine is 70 some years old. I see patterns and trends over time that you do not. That is plain fact. The current patterns and trends will come to an end and be replaced by new ones. And we will all wonder why we thought the way we did 20 years ago.

Bravo!

What do they call it these days... 'pwned'?

Young adults need to live through more than one cycle of Saturn revolving around the Sun, before they may become enlightened to the wisdom necessary to adapt and endure in an everchanging dynamic environment.

Seemingly know-it-all idealistic kiddos sure are cute though --- Especially when they paint with broad brush-strokes; labeling gun owners as "generally terrible representatives of good citizenship".

Hey man, I resemble those remarks.

At least y'all have some good music that defines your generation coming out these days...

Roffle Mao!

I'll sum up both of these excellent posts thusly….

"You don't know peace 'till you've had suffering."

I have found this to be profoundly true, and always tell people…. "Boring is good".

If support for gun control is in fact waning (I am doubtful) it is because #marchforourlives is not trending anymore. Anything that happened last year or even last month is old news.

Also young people have been locked down for over a year. They are becoming resentful and suspicious of authority.

One other point I've made before is, K-12 education is vastly different now than it was even in the 1980's. My teachers were not primary bread winners. Many of them lived in nicer houses than we did. Most were of the WWII generation and they loved this Country. We learned about John Locke and Natural Rights, and Neil Armstrong. They did not gloss over the injustices of the past, particularly with regard to Native Americans. But we did not speak in anger and certainly not in anger towards each other.

When our girls were in high school their teachers were just barely older than them. Many were single and penniless, crammed into apartments and saddled with student debt. The tone was very, very, different. There was a great emphasis on collectivism over individual liberty. There was very little conversation about American founding principles.

Last Edited:
I'm not sure how other kids were raised, but I pretty much raised myself. No one to teach me those things, so when I got the opportunity, I learned (and am still learning) to do it myself. I also learned work ethic real quick thanks to my first job, and a lot about the law and enforcement of said law (both it's upsides and pitfalls) when I was a teenager.

I had some crappy friends, and some good... fortunately I was able to discern between the two. So, besides parents, friends also play a big role... some will do a lot of dumb stuff to fit in; however, I was never the fitting in type. (Also, I learned at the age of 6 to not fall into peer pressure by a girl who wanted me to break some rules... but that's a different story lol)

Speaking of work ethic, in one of the local overland groups, an employee of Warn posted that a ton of jobs are now available in Clackamas. Nearly the first comment is someone complaining he doesn't want to commute 10-15 miles to have a job... I am baffled at that kind of response.

-Robert

I raised my self too, pretty much. Mom and dad, born '20 and '26, grew up in the depression. They both worked full time, mom full time +. I had an elderly grandma that lived nearby that looked after me. Back then you learned not to stick a fork in the electrical socket. Now there's a protector that covers the socket. Back then a kid learned, first hand, there were things that bit.
Oh yeah, the millennia old "walked 20 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot". Don't you all get too worked up, your parents said the same about your generation...sheesh.

These times are when I really wished I could ask my parents if they were as concerned for MY generation as I am now about the 30ish and under crowd. All I see now are a bunch of cell-phone "Zombies". And go to a store or restaurant and you see the older of the group, with babies in carriages, staring at a screen. I feel like there is something terribly wrong. I shouldn't be glad that I, more than likely, wont be around in 25 years.

The birth range for millennials is technically from 1981 to 1996. Pretty broad. I've met I lot of good and lot of bad from my generation. Then again I've had the same good and bad experiences with the boomers and Gen X.

I've come to the conclusion to judge the individual rather then some broad generalization on whatever "Gen" someone is.

I'm ok with people relating their experiences with groups as they have encountered and categorized them in their lives. We just need to be careful about expanding those experiences out to other jobs/locations/states/nation, etc.

I've been around long enough to see some stuff. But it doesn't make me a sage. Can still remember my hippie days tho... all 3 of them before I reported to AT&T for my first full time job at 17. Never missed a day that I wasn't sick, didn't have many sick days, never missed a child support payment, payed all my other bills too.

I often marvel at the people of all ages that don't handle their lives that way. Non-adult adults I suppose. Bottle flu every Monday. Boating/fishing flu on Friday, or any other day. Got a paycheck, then don't need to work for a week or two.

People at Walmart told me they put in the new self-checkout machines because they couldn't get cashiers to show up for work. It's a national problem!!

Dealing with them when they are customer service is worse then the robo that answers

Young person on the line when I called to straighten out the hospital billing dept mistake. Just kept repeating over and over that "this is our policy". Yeah, it's their policy to stick patients with fraudulent billings. I told my doc I wouldn't be using him any more due to this problem, and he agreed they were in the wrong and he would instruct billing to reverse the charges. Guess what.... I'm still getting statements with the charge on it.

Nearly the first comment is someone complaining he doesn't want to commute 10-15 miles to have a job.

I come from Phoenix, AZ...where driving 15 miles is par for the course just to leave your immediate neighborhood.

I walked to my first job, barefoot, with my tools strapped to my feet.

LOL

Nope, I drove from Pomona to places in The Greater Los Angeles Basin. On a Saturday it was a 20min drive. But during the week the drive in was 2hrs bumper to bumper, and the drive home was 3 hrs. I used to drink a case of beer on the way home. Realizing I was headed for big trouble, I quit and went into the USCG. My last duty station was San Diego, and I lived in Harbison Canyon, near Alpine, East of the city. Back to 20 min to get to work. Moved here to La Grande in 1980, 5 min to get to work.

Neighbor kids in their mid 20s. Leave for work/school with 2min to spare. What if they get a flat? Hit the lights wrong? Have icy roads? I guess bosses today don't care...

And go to a store or restaurant and you see the older of the group, with babies in carriages,

What I see commonly is a person about 50/60/70 with a baby in a carriage. No phone tho.

I shouldn't be glad that I, more than likely, wont be around in 25 years.

Me and the wife and all my friends too.

I don't remember the generational divide so much when I was young. I'm not sure whether I just didn't notice, or if it wasn't played up like it is now.

We had a new guy at work a couple years ago. Late 20s, and all he could talk about was "my generation" this, and "my generation". I wanted to tell him that he would probably fit in better if he stopped with the "my generation" stuff.

I do agree that there's a lot of lazy, entitled people around, especially in the younger set, but they're not all that way, far from it actually. I've seen enough young people with good attitudes and strong work ethic to give me hope. The ones that don't have been coddled by parents and society as a whole, and at some point life is going to be a rude wake up call.

"My generation has never experienced American prosperity" said a young politician a couple years ago. I guess it's true that you have to experience the bad times to really appreciate the good times. Her generation has known nothing but prosperity, compared to the hard times known by previous generations.

Yes, the crash of '08 sucked. I lived through it. I was laid off, searching for work where there was none to be had. I had a family to support and a mortgage to pay. It was no easier for me than it was for a young college grad, and I couldn't just go live with my parents and make ends meet by working at McDonald's. It was bad for everyone, from the young person starting out to the older person wanting to retire.

Some people seem to have the idea that prosperity is a right. They're owed that college education and high-paying job right out of the gate, so they can buy that nice house and all the toys.

It just doesn't work that way for everyone, no matter the circumstances. I struggled badly in the '90s when everyone was supposed to be riding high on easy money, and I didn't get a college degree until I went back to school after 2008. I'm doing ok now, but it's only because I've stuck it out and kept working. I've learned that anyone who does that, no matter what generation, will be ok.

The only young people I am around are my neighbors and my grandkids on my wife's side.

1. The neighbors, in their mid 20s, don't mow their lawn, don't spray or pull their dandelions, and don't pickup the dog poop from their 3 dogs. And their cats poop in my landscape areas. Otherwise they are nice kids that like to go shooting with me.

2. One set of grandkids works hard, is outdoorsy, and hunts and shoots. One grandkid hates guns. Another grandkid is worthless and won't work. The diff is they have diff parents. One is strict, the other permissive.

Back then you learned not to stick a fork in the electrical socket. Now there's a protector that covers the socket. Back then a kid learned, first hand, there were things that bit.

LOL.....that's funny. Because.....I had to learn the "hard way". And maybe, I actually did it more than once. You know.....FOR SCIENCE.

Aloha, Mark

2. One set of grandkids works hard, is outdoorsy, and hunts and shoots. One grandkid hates guns. Another grandkid is worthless and won't work. The diff is they have diff parents. One is strict, the other permissive.

Your post reminded me of..........

BUT.....the above example is of kids who grew up with/at the "same basic starting point".

Aloha, Mark

"My generation has never experienced American prosperity" said a young politician a couple years ago.

Prob never experienced an outhouse or a cold shower either. Or legal discrimination based on race, religion, and/or gender. Or bribery and rampant government corruption. Or a rat infestation. Or no refrigeration of any kind.

Should be a high school requirement for everyone to spend a month in a third-world country, so they can appreciate just how shockingly good we have it here. There is a reason people want to come here.

Prob never experienced an outhouse or a cold shower either. Or legal discrimination based on race, religion, and/or gender. Or bribery and rampant government corruption. Or a rat infestation. Or no refrigeration of any kind.

Should be a high school requirement for everyone to spend a month in a third-world country, so they can appreciate just how shockingly good we have it here. There is a reason people want to come here.
I'd say a summer. A month isn't really enough to get a good solid feel for the thing. Even then, having parents willing to pour money into the lifestyle from home would insulate them a lot.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top