JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
(...) Ageism is alive and well. (...)

(...) Ah, the stories I could tell about the lack of integrity, the lack of work ethic and the general unwillingness to live in the actual world rather than the virtual reality that most are obsessed with. And the horror they face when they get in a situation where they have to part with their handheld electronic devices for even a few minutes, reminds of that scene in the movie where Meryl Streep's character has a dingo take her baby...

Very sad indeed. The lack of work ethic is probably the one that bothers me most. So damn many have had someone to take care of every mess they made, support them no matter what dumb thing they did, so they of course treat work as something of VERY low importance. (...)

It's ironic that you mention ageism before starting a millennial bashing post.

Have you ever stopped to wonder why generations end up the way they do? Here's my millennial anecdote to hopefully add in some things to the conversation - bear with the length if you don't mind.

My dad "worked hard" according to the traditional sense of the word. And, what I mean is, he had a job that he devoted himself to fully. The stated reason was to provide a home, food, and lifestyle to his family - to make sure that his kids had what he did not growing up.

That job took him all over the country. He quickly learned that Sales makes more money than Engineering and transitioned to a Business Development role...well, in his industry, the contracts go into the millions of dollars and the client-salesperson face to face interaction is a must. So, dad was gone on business ~3 weeks out of every 4.

Dad was around for Christmas, often away for birthdays, wasn't there when my soccer team took 2nd in State, wasn't there when I took 1st in a climbing competition, didn't teach me to drive, or fix a car, or shoot a gun, or use wood/metal working tools...and on and on.

Yep. Dad worked hard. And in 2008 it all came crashing down. His retirement accounts dropped to damn near zero just like everyone else's. He made moves to other companies to avoid being laid off. Retirement was most definitely delayed.

So, here I am, watching all of this and a few realizations occurred to me:
1) The economy don't care. No matter how much you save, or plan, or prep, it could all go away in an instant of unfortunate circumstance
2) My dad chose to sacrifice any past and future relationship with his children and grandchildren at the altar of "work."

So, now the question is: do I work hard?

Depends who you ask, I guess. I take on a lot of work and projects and I hit my deadlines. But, I also absolutely refuse to work on weekends, during an event my daughter has, on a date night with my wife, on vacation, during a holiday. I refuse to move anywhere for a job - the location that I choose to raise my family will have a drastic affect on my daughter and I will choose that location with my wife and without thought to what will amount to a temporary paycheck. I refuse to travel for work more than a week per quarter.

In short, I refuse to sacrifice my relationships on the altar of work.

So, does that make me "lazy & entitled?"

As a followup - the age range for what is termed the millennial group is too large...there are two subgroups with wildly different outlooks on life and at very different stages. Perhaps try learning about them and not applying the negative traits of one to an entire generation: https://www.businessinsider.com/2-types-of-millennials-mega-llennials-and-me-llennials-2020-1

Well, arriving late to this party, but... wow, just wow. Yes, certainly the millennials are all about diversity and inclusivity, except when it comes to boomers and older folk. Ageism is alive and well.

Conditionally about diversity and inclusivity... as long you toe the party line. Kanye learned about that.

At least BillyJean gets that 18-34 are such a valued demographic to marketers

Being exploited by marketers is not a credit. It means you are a moron who is easily swept away by emotional appeals.

Gun owners are generally terrible representatives of good citizenship, and most young people understand that. Younger people are not so tied to the low-level dichotomous thinking that passes for patriotism, not tied to the NRA, and are much, much less easily duped by media companies and internet charlatans.

Of course the thing they have working against them is that young people always think they're right.

HANK SR. & OBEY ? .

It's ironic that you mention ageism before starting a millennial bashing post.

Have you ever stopped to wonder why generations end up the way they do? Here's my millennial anecdote to hopefully add in some things to the conversation - bear with the length if you don't mind.

My dad "worked hard" according to the traditional sense of the word. And, what I mean is, he had a job that he devoted himself to fully. The stated reason was to provide a home, food, and lifestyle to his family - to make sure that his kids had what he did not growing up.

That job took him all over the country. He quickly learned that Sales makes more money than Engineering and transitioned to a Business Development role...well, in his industry, the contracts go into the millions of dollars and the client-salesperson face to face interaction is a must. So, dad was gone on business ~3 weeks out of every 4.

Dad was around for Christmas, often away for birthdays, wasn't there when my soccer team took 2nd in State, wasn't there when I took 1st in a climbing competition, didn't teach me to drive, or fix a car, or shoot a gun, or use wood/metal working tools...and on and on.

Yep. Dad worked hard. And in 2008 it all came crashing down. His retirement accounts dropped to damn near zero just like everyone else's. He made moves to other companies to avoid being laid off. Retirement was most definitely delayed.

So, here I am, watching all of this and a few realizations occurred to me:
1) The economy don't care. No matter how much you save, or plan, or prep, it could all go away in an instant of unfortunate circumstance
2) My dad chose to sacrifice any past and future relationship with his children and grandchildren at the altar of "work."

So, now the question is: do I work hard?

Depends who you ask, I guess. I take on a lot of work and projects and I hit my deadlines. But, I also absolutely refuse to work on weekends, during an event my daughter has, on a date night with my wife, on vacation, during a holiday. I refuse to move anywhere for a job - the location that I choose to raise my family will have a drastic affect on my daughter and I will choose that location with my wife and without thought to what will amount to a temporary paycheck. I refuse to travel for work more than a week per quarter.

In short, I refuse to sacrifice my relationships on the altar of work.

So, does that make me "lazy & entitled?"

As a followup - the age range for what is termed the millennial group is too large...there are two subgroups with wildly different outlooks on life and at very different stages. Perhaps try learning about them and not applying the negative traits of one to an entire generation: https://www.businessinsider.com/2-types-of-millennials-mega-llennials-and-me-llennials-2020-1
I also think some confuse millennials with gen Z not realizing that some millennials are approaching their early 40's already.

I also think some confuse millennials with gen Z not realizing that some millennials are approaching their early 40's already.
Can't speak for others but when I get frustrated with this its mostly people who are under 40 or so. Some of course older but most seem to be from the 20-40 group. No idea what the title is for them. Just that so many of them it's easy to see they have had someone making excuses for them all their working life. When all this "free money" finally comes to an end and the people who have been bailing them out all their life are gone? It's going to be sad for them.

Can't speak for others but when I get frustrated with this its mostly people who are under 40 or so. Some of course older but most seem to be from the 20-40 group. No idea what the title is for them. Just that so many of them it's easy to see they have had someone making excuses for them all their working life. When all this "free money" finally comes to an end and the people who have been bailing them out all their life are gone? It's going to be sad for them.
The birth range for millennials is technically from 1981 to 1996. Pretty broad. I've met I lot of good and lot of bad from my generation. Then again I've had the same good and bad experiences with the boomers and Gen X.

I've come to the conclusion to judge the individual rather then some broad generalization on whatever "Gen" someone is.

This ^. Wifey works middle management for a large grocery chain. In store, on the floor, front-line worker! 23 years in the position. She works other departments too covering vacations and leaves. At least 50% of the above age group are an assortment lazy, undependable, on drugs, alcoholic, sickly, dumb, mentally challenged. The number of people that apply for these entry level jobs in one year, that are under 20 years old, could probably be counted on two hands. Getting people to show up to work on time, OR for their scheduled shifts, for two weeks straight is not the norm. The people that have some sort of mental challenge seem to be some of the most dependable employees! Somehow these employees that have so many problems showing up for shifts all have modern cell phones though. o_O

Indeed. Generations are often termed in groups of years - though this is inconsistent at best. Generations often do share a life outlook and voting persuasion and buying habits ... and it is important for us to research these things.

But what is more accurate is life events rather than birth year.

For millennials, two major life events were 09/11/01 and the meltdown of 2008. If you are old enough to actually remember 09/11, then you were likely in college or graduating during the worst economy since the depression. All the talk of degrees slingshotting you to a career went up like smoke and you were left holding your debt and struggling to find anything that would pay you more than minimum wage. This group essentially had their careers stalled for years and ended up competing against much older and more experienced people for entry level jobs or they delayed career prospects - delaying earning potential and life events as well.

Or, you are still a millennial but you don't remember 09/11 by dint of being too young at the time. You were in school during the 08 meltdown but graduating to the economy as it was bouncing back. Things looked brighter in your eyes.

These two groups may share outlooks, especially where social issues are concerned (you can thank millennials of all ages for leading the Republicans to looking at gay marriage from a libertarian lens, for example). But, they differ wildly in life stage, events, and other areas of politics.

The same holds true for other generations - they're often too large and it is more useful to subdivide by the major world events that shaped their views.

Indeed. Generations are often termed in groups of years - though this is inconsistent at best. Generations often do share a life outlook and voting persuasion and buying habits ... and it is important for us to research these things.

But what is more accurate is life events rather than birth year.

For millennials, two major life events were 09/11/01 and the meltdown of 2008. If you are old enough to actually remember 09/11, then you were likely in college or graduating during the worst economy since the depression. All the talk of degrees slingshotting you to a career went up like smoke and you were left holding your debt and struggling to find anything that would pay you more than minimum wage. This group essentially had their careers stalled for years and ended up competing against much older and more experienced people for entry level jobs or they delayed career prospects - delaying earning potential and life events as well.

Or, you are still a millennial but you don't remember 09/11 by dint of being too young at the time. You were in school during the 08 meltdown but graduating to the economy as it was bouncing back. Things looked brighter in your eyes.

These two groups may share outlooks, especially where social issues are concerned (you can thank millennials of all ages for leading the Republicans to looking at gay marriage from a libertarian lens, for example). But, they differ wildly in life stage, events, and other areas of politics.

The same holds true for other generations - they're often too large and it is more useful to subdivide by the major world events that shaped their views.
I was in 6th grade and coming back from a deer hunting trip with my father when I heard about 9/11 over the radio. Man that feels so long ago.
On a side note, some of the most right wing folks I've met have been millennials.

This ^. Wifey works middle management for a large grocery chain. In store, on the floor, front-line worker! 23 years in the position. She works other departments too covering vacations and leaves. At least 50% of the above age group are an assortment lazy, undependable, on drugs, alcoholic, sickly, dumb, mentally challenged. The number of people that apply for these entry level jobs in one year, that are under 20 years old, could probably be counted on two hands. Getting people to show up to work on time, OR for their scheduled shifts, for two weeks straight is not the norm. The people that have some sort of mental challenge seem to be some of the most dependable employees! Somehow these employees that have so many problems showing up for shifts all have modern cell phones though. o_O

Dealing with them when they are customer service is worse then the robo that answers

Sadly too many getting "free money" so they of course don't want to work. Last time my boss was trying to hire a partner for my he was pulling his hair out. Finally found 2 guys who passed the BGC, then when he offered them the job they ghosted him. So he had to start all over again. One daughter is in management. She went round and round with the owner for a while. She was offering twice min wage to get workers. Owner at first was mad about cost. She told him the only way I can get someone in the door who is breathing and can speak and read English well enough to follow simple instructions was to pay that much at the start.

Meanwhile, in Amerika.......
SOME of those young people are getting up to speed. Don't worry, it's been Fact Checked.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....yeah.....FB is a force to reckon with in the Fact Checking game.

Last Edited:
There are a lot of good kids but they are actively being bullied by a small nucleus of highly verbose & self-righteous "revolutionaries".

There is a new McCarthyism going on out there

Last Edited:
I know my young'ins didn't pay much attention to politics until Trump. Then when the Dem's took over they heard me screaming at the TV and arguing everything the "local media" was trying to shove down our throats.

One fine sunny day I mentioned that we should go to the gun range and have a few hours of fun. We loaded up mainly .22's to play "plinking games". I don't remember exactly what brought it up but I mentioned something along the lines of "....this is what your elected officials are doing to us. We may not get many more days like this. It appears in the near future all of these will be outlawed. You know "high capacity magazines and all..." Then don't forget that Lord Inslee signed into law that these Ruger's (the 10/22's that we were shooting) are now classified as "assault weapons". And you do know that the government is trying to ban ALL assault weapons, right? That means these will become illegal........" We had much more discussions throughout the trip.

During one of the discussions it was brought up about "when i pass away where do the guns go?" I told them that i was thinking of selling most of them now to get as much money as I can for them while they are still legal. They just looked at me and asked "what about us? We thought some were supposed to go to us?"

"What about you? This is what your generation wants. Take away the guns from every law abiding citizen so the only people that are armed are criminals and the government, which could be classified as one-in-the-same.

They looked at me dumbfounded. I mentioned "this is the life that your generation is pushing for, not mine. I'm gonna be long gone and you guys will have nothing to defend yourself with. You and your friends need to wake up and see what it happening. We, the population, are being lied to. Read between the lines and look at the big picture.

They are from my blood and they know me. They have the same mind set as me. They know exactly what I am talking about.

Maybe, just maybe, the rest of the "younger generation" is starting to open their eyes and see what is REALLY going on. Maybe that is why there is a decline in support?

Hello old dudes, young whippersnapper here. My conclusion is that a lot of the younger generation feel entitled because of the way they were raised. There are many exceptions of course, but the majority shows this to be true.

So, now that we are blaming both sides... everyone can be happy, right? Lol

-Robert

I know my young'ins didn't pay much attention to politics until Trump. Then when the Dem's took over they heard me screaming at the TV and arguing everything the "local media" was trying to shove down our throats.

One fine sunny day I mentioned that we should go to the gun range and have a few hours of fun. We loaded up mainly .22's to play "plinking games". I don't remember exactly what brought it up but I mentioned something along the lines of "....this is what your elected officials are doing to us. We may not get many more days like this. It appears in the near future all of these will be outlawed. You know "high capacity magazines and all..." Then don't forget that Lord Inslee signed into law that these Ruger's (the 10/22's that we were shooting) are now classified as "assault weapons". And you do know that the government is trying to ban ALL assault weapons, right? That means these will become illegal........" We had much more discussions throughout the trip.

During one of the discussions it was brought up about "when i pass away where do the guns go?" I told them that i was thinking of selling most of them now to get as much money as I can for them while they are still legal. They just looked at me and asked "what about us? We thought some were supposed to go to us?"

"What about you? This is what your generation wants. Take away the guns from every law abiding citizen so the only people that are armed are criminals and the government, which could be classified as one-in-the-same.

They looked at me dumbfounded. I mentioned "this is the life that your generation is pushing for, not mine. I'm gonna be long gone and you guys will have nothing to defend yourself with. You and your friends need to wake up and see what it happening. We, the population, are being lied to. Read between the lines and look at the big picture.

They are from my blood and they know me. They have the same mind set as me. They know exactly what I am talking about.

Maybe, just maybe, the rest of the "younger generation" is starting to open their eyes and see what is REALLY going on. Maybe that is why there is a decline in support?

The youth share (18-29) of the voting pool in 2016 was ~16%. Know what it was in 2020? It was ~17%.

The average age of the House is 57 years old while the average age in the Senate is 62. Trump was what, 73 when he said, "ban the bump stocks."

If this world is not going the direction you want it to go...don't be scapegoating the young.

Hello old dudes, young whippersnapper here. My conclusion is that a lot of the younger generation feel entitled because of the way they were raised. There are many exceptions of course, but the majority shows this to be true.

So, now that we are blaming both sides... everyone can be happy, right? Lol

-Robert
Exactly, it was their parents spoiling and coddling them by giving them everything they wanted. Seen it many times myself.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top