JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alpha India Six Yankee Hotel.

Still need to re-program my radios from when I lived Behind Enemy Lines in Kalifornistan.

Last Edited:
I'm curious why some are hiding their call signs. Transmitting it over the air every 10 or less minutes is no different than posting it on a forum. :D

Would you post your full name, DOB, address, phone number and current location, please?
No DOB and no phone number show up on a license search. Full name and address yes. With as much junk mail as I receive, pretty sure the whole damn world knows that info.

I made the conscious decision to out myself after some thought.
I've lived this long essentially by outliving my enemies and some dumb luck.
I really have no reason to hide anymore.
However...
I understand why some would not expose their callsigns.
If for instance, I choose to take up an SOT again it will have no contact with this address.
Security by obscurity isn't a bad thing. I just choose otherwise.
There is the old saying, "Just because you think they're out to get you doesn't mean they aren't".

If I can be of help, I can be reached here, teh Zed, on the air, or in person.

I didn't say anything in previous post, but with your name/address, even an old codger like myself has the ability to rain down a lot of havoc in someone's life,, if I was so inclined to do so. Having the knowledge to do so doesn't make me a bad person just gives me another skillset, and a healthy respect for what's possible. NOW think about visitors here who are not members and who would love to start messing with members on this forum….

After Golfing 7 Ineeda Whiskey reporting. Wut? You never learned the improved phonetic alphabet (IPA) used by the cool nerdz? Went from no license to extra in the same session. Only proves I test easy. Practical experience durned near zilch, and limited to helping a local group do comms for a century (!) foot race a few years back.

I need to get spun back up and start fiddling with my equipment again in the event I need emergency comms. Getting licensed was a personal challenge, but I stopped before doing the do.

Last Edited:
Saw an especially funny episode of Doomsday Preppers, the guy had a supper secret location with an extensive antenna farm and com equipment. He also had his callsign proudly displayed on his radio desk. A quick callsign lookup and a viewing on google earth provided a nice view of his secret location.
A lot of times I disagree with Canada however at least they don't dox ham operator...

Last Edited:
I've got a few radios. Icom 705, Yaesu vx7r, Kenwood th-d72a and a Kenwood tm-d720ga for the car. I bought the Kenwood's for their aprs and open tnc. I've been practicing Morse the last year or so. I use aprs, ft8 on occasion, winlink.

Just got my license a little while back Thinking really hard about getting a Yaesu handheld for my 1st broadcast
Baofeng and "chirp". find the shortcomings of a digital sdr radio w/o a receiver front end for $25 in a disposable appliance before you spend literally hundreds for a quality HT. If nothing else the Baofeng is disposable.

If nothing else the Baofeng is disposable.
Actually the Baofeng is not a bad way to start out. I started with one and still use one in one of my vehicles, however i'm using a good mobile antenna and it works quite well. Manual programming them is not that hard either.

I can hit a couple repeaters in about a 20 mile range and usually hear from other I am 'loud and clear.

Actually the Baofeng is not a bad way to start out. I started with one and still use one in one of my vehicles, however i'm using a good mobile antenna and it works quite well. Manual programming them is not that hard either.

I can hit a couple repeaters in about a 20 mile range and usually hear from other I am 'loud and clear.
Ditto.

You're not a ham newb unless you're rocking a Baofeng. I used my f8hp hooked to a trunk lip mount antenna with an external mic for awhile before moving to a proper mobile (still a Baofeng).

Heck I was recently GIVEN two brand new Baofengs - an UV5R and a newer version by a local who was frustrated with programming them.

Manual programming them is a bit of a challenge but if one can adjust the programming settings on a modern smart phone then he/she can learn to program a Baofeng.

I left a Baofeng on top of the car when I went into the grocery store.

When I came back out there were two more

;)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews