JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I assume I'm in a distinct minority on this. Specifically, I would like a 30/06 with a 24" barrel and open sights.

What do you guys think about utilizing a gunsmith for installation of open sights?

Who in Vancouver would you recommend to minimize a misaligned or canted sight installation?

Thanks.
You need to throw a scope on that bubblegum. :p

2582777A-627B-4D16-BCB6-61AE53A81933.jpeg 29A95749-29E5-4BEE-972C-BED924890B0E.jpeg
I wonder if they make some type of adapter to make this into a scope for my rifle?

72EA5C46-86ED-4B78-99F8-A3C4C30903EE.jpeg

Last Edited:
I much prefer aperture Iron sights. Can't see the dove tail sights very well anymore. I had to put
a fiber optic sight on my Model 94 in order to shoot it. Getting old I guess. 30/06 aperture Iron Sights
1687494314284.png

I have my eye on this Tradewinds H5000 (made by Krico in Germany), if they drop the price and can find a magazine for it.

1687496077430.png

.30-06?? Check!!
Bolt action?? Check!!
Open sights?? Check!!
24" barrel?? Check!!
What you seek is an '03 Springfield!! Been around for a hundred-and-twenty years. Made millions of them. Lots to pick from. Come to the OAC gun show Sunday and probably have a dozen choices.

Rear aperture makes front sight sharply focus on same plane as target. Kinda like an F16 stop on a camera. That's the reason Olympic Biathlon shooters use them. If you put a tang ladder on for longer ranges, you are all set.

Pre-19030A3, with the sight ladder folded down, it is sighted for around 500 yards. Folded up you are trying to look through a pinhole, or a notch in a triangle, a foot ahead of your eye if you want to sight in for under around 500 yards.

1903sightladder.jpg 1903-sight-manual.jpg

Look for an 1903A3 or a sporter.

Bruce

Last Edited:
m1903 variants are a joy to shoot. theyre open sight. im partial to the 03A3 myself.
I really regret selling my 03-A3 off a few years back... It was very accurate. Now I rely on a #4MKII and it's flip-up rear sight.. I'll never sell or scope it. My H&K and FAL are open sighted and shoot well, even with old eyes... but don't fit into the criteria of this.

I assume I'm in a distinct minority on this. Specifically, I would like a 30/06 with a 24" barrel and open sights.

What do you guys think about utilizing a gunsmith for installation of open sights?

Who in Vancouver would you recommend to minimize a misaligned or canted sight installation?

Thanks.
Older Winchester model 70 will work

I love open sights but like you said the young ones don't like them so kinda hard to find . I do like scopes but had a snowstorm while elk hunting a few years back and the scope was useless so went back to the basics !
1687531001101.png

Last Edited:
Hunting in Western Oregon most of my life, this was the lesson I learned...

Bring at least 2-rifles, one having open sights. Too many times I've hunted with a scope in poor conditions, making the very best of scopes nearly useless.

Even today, I'm headed to the range to sight in a .30-30 that I just installed an aperture sight. 🥰

Sure would be nice, considering the price point, if Ruger took all their American line of rifles and added iron sights to them. The ranch line of American rifles definitely fits that need of irons. However it would be nice if all of them had the option.

This was my favorite bolt action I have ever owned, it was a .270 with Leupold VX3 2.5-8x in Talley QD rings and open sights, with Trexler DBM. I hugely regret trading it. I just picked up an identical 1979 700 in .30-06 that I am going to set up just like this one (except a 3-10x VX3), I just put a set of sights back on it last night, since everyone takes them off.

Meprolight tritium 870 rifle sights fit on 700 sight bases, I always put them on my 700s with open sights.

With the Talley bases, they are low enough to see the sights when you take the scope off, and they are rock solid, They also make gloss bases and rings that look great on the blued rifles.

270-1.jpeg 270-2.jpeg

This was my favorite bolt action I have ever owned, it was a .270 with Leupold VX3 2.5-8x in Talley QD rings and open sights, with Trexler DBM. I hugely regret trading it. I just picked up an identical 1979 700 in .30-06 that I am going to set up just like this one (except a 3-10x VX3), I just put a set of sights back on it last night, since everyone takes them off.

Meprolight tritium 870 rifle sights fit on 700 sight bases, I always put them on my 700s with open sights.

With the Talley bases, they are low enough to see the sights when you take the scope off, and they are rock solid, They also make gloss bases and rings that look great on the blued rifles.

View attachment 1441882 View attachment 1441883
Finding a nice older rifle with sights still intact that is a bit tricky half the time they are gone and good luck finding some of those original Euro sights !

Finding a nice older rifle with sights still intact that is a bit tricky half the time they are gone and good luck finding some of those original Euro sights !
The sights are on ebay, but they go for about $100 for a complete set, which sucks cause I know there are a ton of people with them in the bottom of a drawer...

I just got a set for free, but they don't have the groove for the hood, which I want, so now I need to track down a front sight and hood.

View attachment 1441882 View attachment 1441883
I want one of those. Really dig the BDL look with irons and a detachable mag.

The sights are on ebay, but they go for about $100 for a complete set, which sucks cause I know there are a ton of people with them in the bottom of a drawer...

I just got a set for free, but they don't have the groove for the hood, which I want, so now I need to track down a front sight and hood.
When they are missing the OG sights I usually pass unless it is something I can't live without it really irks me when they are missing

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top