JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I assume I'm in a distinct minority on this. Specifically, I would like a 30/06 with a 24" barrel and open sights.

What do you guys think about utilizing a gunsmith for installation of open sights?

Who in Vancouver would you recommend to minimize a misaligned or canted sight installation?

Thanks.

If you're talking about a modern precision rifle, it's pretty easy to do with the right chassis and actions with Picatinny rails.
0001221_adm-ambidextrous-prc-700sa-chassis.jpg

I've always thought iron sights and quick-detach scope rings are essential on a hunting rifle.
BUT, there's another consideration... Can you see the iron sights when you detach the scope? 🧐
I bought an iron sighted BA in a Brown Precision stock. The stock angles prohibit getting my face low enough to see the iron sights.
Stocks for iron sight guns, and stocks for scoped guns, they're significantly different.

Henry makes a handful of their single shot rifles with iron sights. Savage still makes a handful of 110s with sights too.

Stocks for iron sight guns, and stocks for scoped guns, they're significantly different.

Henry makes a handful of their single shot rifles with iron sights.
Absolutely true about the butt stock comb having to be compatible with your sighting arrangement. Typically (but not exclusively), my rifles with scopes have Monte Carlo stock combs on them. You can build up a "straight" comb stock with a riser if necessary.

I recently bought one of the Henry single shots in .45-70, it has open sights on it and it's a very comfortable fit. The rear sight is one of those little flip down jobs that Winchester used to use on Model 70's for a while.

Aperture receiver rear sight is best for old eyes. But I've noticed that the newer open sights with the little white dots / arrows help me a lot. I have one rifle with the little colored prisms on it, those work well. I like having the open sights option. I'm not making any long shots anyway. Shooting across unwooded canyons hundreds of yards isn't on my list of requirements.

I assume I'm in a distinct minority on this. Specifically, I would like a 30/06 with a 24" barrel and open sights.

What do you guys think about utilizing a gunsmith for installation of open sights?

Who in Vancouver would you recommend to minimize a misaligned or canted sight installation?

Thanks.
I dig it.

NoDak Spud makes iron sights for the Ruger American series of rifles.
Here are some NoDak Spud sights on my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. The installation doesn't require a gunsmith but you want to take your time. I was playing around with the TRS-25 red dot and a D-60 for this pic, but irons are possible and my preferred setup:
1684366420896.png

Most of my bolt actions are 22s and they all run irons too, like this Ruger American Rimfire with Tech Sights (had Ed Boning in Medford add the front sight after threading the barrel) but should be able to do something similar in any caliber:
1684366648508.png

Personally, I'm a big fan of Ruger but with the right gunsmith nearly any manufacturer should be an option.

My most preferred "iron" sights not really "open", are peeps, I am especially handy with the one on my Savage.

My problem with open sights was mostly due to hunting, while I could easily hit a deer @ 300 yards, I couldn't see antlers if small, or in the shade at that distance to see who is who when their grouped and milling around so really enjoyed the upgrade to 2.5 X 8 Leupold. Usually always @ 2.5 but extra was welcomed when needed. Mine is sorta between a peep and a ghost ring, but you can get them with changeable size apertures IMGP0045.JPG savage 99 300 savage 2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top