JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A new additional safety measure for some strange times. Simple tools for me.

20201117_162606.jpg

I truly like these. One is on definitely on the short list!

Thanks for the share!

I'd give some 125gr 357's a try. I'll bet it's not terrible. Grips can make a huge difference. My Model 60 had rubber grips that covered the backstrap when I got it, but I switched to a set of Hogue wood grips that uncovered the backstrap. The Hogues are pretty wide and hand filling. I think it's more comfortable when shooting 357s out of it with the wide grip.

output (1).jpg 60 wood.jpg

Last Edited:
Correct grips (rubber) and .357 short barrel ammo make a big difference in my steel "J" frames, recoil kind of like .38 +p in my alloy "J" frames just more power. Love them snubs.

Smith and Wesson Scandium J-frame with full power 357 loads I would describe as absolutely brutal.
By the time you get to the 5th shot you have had enough. Let's see them snubbies.
1607589060807.png

Only got the one snubby - my Model 29...of course, living here in mainland UK means that it's just a paperweight now, a paperweight that I can't legally even give away, as it is an early de-act, carried out just before I would have had to hand it in for destruction. Of course, when it worked, I used it every day for hold-ups, car-jackings, muggings, threatening with violence, y'know, the kind of thing that every single one of us 50,000 law-abiding handgun owners used to do with our legally-owned firearms on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Another 'of course', the comment from the-then prime minister, Tony B Liar MP [a man who was greatly loved in the USA for reasons I've never been able to figure out], who said that taking just over a hundred-thousand handguns off their legal and law-abiding owners meant that in taking them 'off the streets' that Great Britain was going to be a 'far safer place' for doing it.

Later that year, indeed, for the next four years, gun crime climbed like a rocket and took more than ten years to get very slightly less...

1607603445667.png
All original packaging and cleaning kit, too.
1607603584164.png

Smith and Wesson Scandium J-frame with full power 357 loads I would describe as absolutely brutal.
By the time you get to the 5th shot you have had enough. Let's see them snubbies.
View attachment 789923
Nice collection.
I've never shot a Scandium frame anything, but I had a 649 that was brutal with 357 158gr loads, even though it wore rubber grips. I usually shoot 158gr, but also shot some Federal 180grs out of my 60 the other day. There didn't seem to be any difference in recoil between the two, but like mentioned above, the Hogues tamed the recoil impulse to my hand. (Side note, I'm a mechanic and work with my hands daily. I have a very strong grip, especially for a guy my size.)
This Airweight is my wife's, but she bought a turquoise Glock 43 and put it away. I carry it in my Camelback when dirt bike riding, loaded with handloads using 158gr LSWC and a stout charge of BlueDot, staying below +P levels. There is a substantial amount of recoil compared to the Low Recoil 110gr Federal HydraShoks, but after it took three headshots for her to finish off a deer that had been hit by a car, I all but threw those rounds in the garbage... I find it comfortable to shoot, no matter what I load it with.
airweight.jpg
I have some Hornady 110gr hollowpoints and just ordered some 125gr XTPs that I'll load for both 38 and 357 to use in the snubbies we have.

@tac What did you have to do to "de-activate" that beautiful S&W?

All I had to do was to hand it over, with the six other I had for de-activation, the authorised company for them to do it in accordance with the-then prevailing government deactivation requirements. It then had to be sent to the nearest Proof House for examination (London or Birmingham - there are only the two) for examination, deactivation stamping and certification, all at my expense of course - then around $200 per firearm.

I'll just list the actual work involved in this, for a revolver - for a self-loader you'll have to look up any of my Lugers in the gallery on lugerforum.com.

1. An oversize piece of tool steel is hydraulically rammed down the barrel with 200 tons pressure to within an inch of the forcing cone. It must also be an inch or so below the level of the muzzle.

2. A flame-cut is made on the underside of the forcing cone, exposing the inner part of the barrel AND the part of the blocking piece.

3. The face of the recoil shield is machined away using countersink die-cutting tool.

4. The face of the hammer is removed entirely.

5. The entire internal chambering of the cylinder is machined out, and a steel ring welded in place.

Externally there is nothing to see, as you have seen in my pic above. Internally it is totally and irrevocably destroyed.

Pics to follow, I'm just otting my luntzh.

Well. at least it moves and can be stripped and reassembled.

Not now though. The latest EU requirements have the whole thing welded up into a single lump. :(

So my small collection of de-acts are now not only literally worthless, but can't be sold or even given away, except to the local police station for destruction.

Ruger Redhawk - many-times skittles winner for me...
1607609870243.png
Muzzle -
1607609909927.png
Forcing cone -
1607609959231.png
Recoil shield -
1607609995156.png
Overall view of recoil shield -
1607610065424.png
Flame-cut and weld-filled -
1607610118053.png
Cylinder -
1607610152669.png
That's all, Folks!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last Edited:
Only got the one snubby - my Model 29...of course, living here in mainland UK means that it's just a paperweight now, a paperweight that I can't legally even give away, as it is an early de-act, carried out just before I would have had to hand it in for destruction. Of course, when it worked, I used it every day for hold-ups, car-jackings, muggings, threatening with violence, y'know, the kind of thing that every single one of us 50,000 law-abiding handgun owners used to do with our legally-owned firearms on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Another 'of course', the comment from the-then prime minister, Tony B Liar MP [a man who was greatly loved in the USA for reasons I've never been able to figure out], who said that taking just over a hundred-thousand handguns off their legal and law-abiding owners meant that in taking them 'off the streets' that Great Britain was going to be a 'far safer place' for doing it.

Later that year, indeed, for the next four years, gun crime climbed like a rocket and took more than ten years to get very slightly less...

View attachment 789931
All original packaging and cleaning kit, too.
View attachment 789932

Not to worry....
The Germans would never even think of invading.
Not after the thrashing they got in WW1 (and WW2).

Aloha, Mark

Parabellum = if you want peace, prepare for war

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top