JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most beat to death subject in the internet...
Residue is corrosive salt ( potassium chloride, IIRC)
Water dissolves it.
Use HOT water to flush barrel, rinse bolt, follow with your favorite bore cleaner and lightly oil when done.

Alcohol and acetone wont do a thing for it.

Now for 10 pages of everyone's favorite method.

:)
4) Alcohol usually helps me with my problems. :confused:

Most beat to death subject in the internet...
Residue is corrosive salt ( potassium chloride, IIRC)
Water dissolves it.
Use HOT water to flush barrel, rinse bolt, follow with your favorite bore cleaner and lightly oil when done.

Alcohol and acetone wont do a thing for it.

Now for 10 pages of everyone's favorite method.

:)
I can contribute too! Let me just bump the post count one more time. . .

Potassium Chloride and sodium chloride are insoluble in both acetone and alcohol. The two will rinse off the salts, but only through mechanical means. Hot water will actually dissolve the stuff, which is far better for removal, especially if the salts are stuck on to the surface.

Ammonia (Windex) does nothing to assist with the process. The water in the solution will dissolve the salts, which is why Windex is still an effective cleaner. You don't need it though, hot water is effectively free, Windex is not. The only problems you might have is if you have pretty terrible water and it will leave behind ugly and possibly damaging scale as it dries. And of course you need to finish the cleaning with a water displacing lubricant.

(I think the whole idea of Windex is that it would reduce any unburnt powder/primer? Not sure why that would be a concern though, as that stuff should come out with the water rinse too. I never understood how Windex/ammonia got to be a thing when it comes to corrosive ammo.)

I can contribute too! Let me just bump the post count one more time. . .

Potassium Chloride and sodium chloride are insoluble in both acetone and alcohol. The two will rinse off the salts, but only through mechanical means. Hot water will actually dissolve the stuff, which is far better for removal, especially if the salts are stuck on to the surface.

Ammonia (Windex) does nothing to assist with the process. The water in the solution will dissolve the salts, which is why Windex is still an effective cleaner. You don't need it though, hot water is effectively free, Windex is not. The only problems you might have is if you have pretty terrible water and it will leave behind ugly and possibly damaging scale as it dries. And of course you need to finish the cleaning with a water displacing lubricant.

(I think the whole idea of Windex is that it would reduce any unburnt powder/primer? Not sure why that would be a concern though, as that stuff should come out with the water rinse too. I never understood how Windex/ammonia got to be a thing when it comes to corrosive ammo.)
Ammonia helps clean copper since you were wondering.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top