JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most beat to death subject in the internet...
Residue is corrosive salt ( potassium chloride, IIRC)
Water dissolves it.
Use HOT water to flush barrel, rinse bolt, follow with your favorite bore cleaner and lightly oil when done.

Alcohol and acetone wont do a thing for it.

Now for 10 pages of everyone's favorite method.

:)

Now for 10 pages of everyone's favorite method.
windex-big-fat-greek-wedding.gif

Corrosive primers aren't corrosive until their salts are exposed to moisture (in the barrel, on the bolt face, etc). The salts are easily dissolved with water, but I don't like dunking AKs in water due to all the nooks and crannies that tend to hold moisture.

Mixing Ballistol with water and flushing everything is the perfect solution (pun intended). The water dissolves the salts, and any leftover water evaporates leaving a thin film of Ballistol for additional corrosion protection.

I've been using this "Moose Milk" method for two decades and never a single issue.

+1 on the windex, just grab the window cleaner as you are loading the vehicle for the range. I like to spray it down the bore with the muzzle pointed down while its still nice and hot, It gets most of it out on bolt guns, not so much on say an M1 Garand but the gas cylinder on those are stainless steel anyways. Another thing to consider if you reload is to wet tumble the corrosive primed brass before you run it though you sizing die or those will get rusty too.

Youngest son has a couple Mosins and an AK or two. He uses Windex, followed by a very hot water wash and scrub (he's a bachelor, he uses his bathtub) and proper oiling after things dry. Never had a problem.

Youngest son has a couple Mosins and an AK or two. He uses Windex, followed by a very hot water wash and scrub (he's a bachelor, he uses his bathtub) and proper oiling after things dry. Never had a problem.
He should keep in mind that ammonia can damage bluing and shellac. Not a problem when Mosins were a dime a dozen, but now they're worth something and some variants are pushing $700+

Food for thought.

He should keep in mind that ammonia can damage bluing and shellac. Not a problem when Mosins were a dime a dozen, but now they're worth something and some variants are pushing $700+

Food for thought.
Mosins are relatively easy to remove from the stock. He knows better than to put the stock in the bathtub or soak it with Windex. Haven't had any corrosive ammo for a while so the whole exercise is more or less moot.

Mosins are relatively easy to remove from the stock. He knows better than to put the stock in the bathtub or soak it with Windex. Haven't had any corrosive ammo for a while so the whole exercise is more or less moot.
All I know is Windex doesn't go anywhere near my DPM, RPD, or FG42... I've seen Windex cause permanent discoloration on Mosins if it drips down the barrel exterior.

Nylon brush followed by some hot water down a funnel and then I run a dry patch. Repeat this 3-4 times. Clean the bolt face and extractor with a q-tip soaked in hot water. Then I clean normally w/ Ballistol, which is what the Germans used in WWII. Never had any pitting or rust.

Maybe overkill, but they aren't making any more WWII rifles.

Nylon brush followed by some hot water down a funnel and then I run a dry patch. Repeat this 3-4 times. Clean the bolt face and extractor with a q-tip soaked in hot water. Then I clean normally w/ Ballistol, which is what the Germans used in WWII. Never had any pitting or rust.

Maybe overkill, but they aren't making any more WWII rifles.
The important takeaway here is that only WWII rifles can fire corrosive ammunition.

lool

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top