JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
shot some surplus ammo through my Mosin and Mauser today

we had a discussion on how the newer generations of shooters won't shoot this stuff

all my surplus 7.62x39, 30-06, 54R and 8mm Mauser is corrosive - never bothered me

just clean as usually after a range day with Ballistol

who still shoots corrosive ammo?

I do. I don't go looking for it, though it doesn't bother me to use. Just means I don't have the luxury of waiting a couple days to clean it

I've shot a couple thousand rounds of M67 Yugo through my 7.62x39 AR at Multigun matches over the years. I always clean within hours of shooting it. Sometimes I'll shoot a few non-corrosive Wolf rounds through to blow some of the corrosive salts out, but still always clean after getting home. First, rinsing the bore and gas tube with warm soapy water, then blowing all that out with compressed air, then squirting WD-40 down the bore and gas tube to displace the water, then clean with CLP. I have never seen any corrosion so far. And that M67 ammo is some of the nicest consistent reliable shooting stuff I have ever used.

img_1682-2-1024x1024.jpg

What's "corrosive " mean??

it pertains to older surplus military ammo with corrosive chemicals in the primers

leaves salts in your barrel and chamber after firing

lots of ways to neutralize the salts, including human urine, just check on line and choose your favorite

but you need to clean your firearm immediately after shooting

Easy enough to clean , so corrosive ammo ain't no big deal to me...
'Course I still shoot with black powder as well...so maybe I'm biased .....:D
Andy
True! Corrosive is relatively easy to clean compared to black powder. I really don't mind cleaning after either one. I know what I'm getting into before pulling the trigger. :)

it pertains to older surplus military ammo with corrosive chemicals in the primers

leaves salts in your barrel and chamber after firing

lots of ways to neutralize the salts, including human urine, just check on line and choose your favorite

but you need to clean your firearm immediately after shooting
I have a couple to clean too, coincidentally. Thanks again for driving down. It was good to meet you, and an enjoyable day at the range.

True! Corrosive is relatively easy to clean compared to black powder. I really don't mind cleaning after either one. I know what I'm getting into before pulling the trigger. :)

I have a couple to clean too, coincidentally. Thanks again for driving down. It was good to meet you, and an enjoyable day at the range.
I'll bring the Mosin Sniper again next time we get together

I've shot thousands of surplus corrosive 7.62x51 through a couple different Fals when it was cheap and readily available. God I wish for those days to come back around! I still have several battle packs of it for a rainy day.

I shot some of that Yugo M67 a couple of weeks ago through a new to me (and dang near new) SKS. Very good groups, all things considered, with cold conditions, etc.

Didn't get around to cleaning it for a couple of days and found some rust on the bolt face. Everything else was clear, probably due to all the cosmo still on there.
😀

Water. Thats all it takes, I don't get why many have to overcomplicate cleaning after corrosive ammo.
I don't disagree, but after cleaning with hot water to neutralize the salts, you have to lubricate your firearm

by using Ballistol, I neutralize the salts, clean and lube at one time with one product

it has been my experience that old surplus rifles shoot more accurately with some fouling

I only use a bronze brush when the accuracy falls off - other than that, a brass jag with a tight patch and Ballistol at the end of the day

the German's developed Ballistol back in 1904 for a reason

I'm sure there are people that shoot it and don't even realize it.
I would hope that that shoots corrosive ammo that they would know have clean the after firing it. I have never shot any corrosive ammo but I have read horror stories about AK47 owners that didn't clean their rifles after shoot corrosive ammo. :(

I would hope that that shoots corrosive ammo that they would know have clean the after firing it. I have never shot any corrosive ammo but I have read horror stories about AK47 owners that didn't clean their rifles after shoot corrosive ammo. :(
My AK is a Chinese type 56 with a chrome lined bore

corrosive ammo has never hurt it

sometimes I don't clean it for a week and have noticed no corrosion

I have met gun owners that when the topic came up in conversation they had no idea what it was or meant. Especially new Mosin owners.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top