JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I got a little Christmas money to burn.. One of the items on my "To Do" list has always been to join the ARPC.

But I got other "wants" as well..

One thing that always gets me is $260 to have a place to shoot.

ARPC is an hour's drive for me. So is my favorite place to shoot in the woods.

What is the benefit of a membership to the range?

$260 is halfway to a Glock.

Plus... I need to by some new AR500 plate targets, and the wife needs a gun for herself, and I need a new shotgun, plus I need to buy a couple cases of a few different types of ammo ...and a GPS ... and a better scope for my deer rifle (although I've got another 8 months for that) ... and I need a chest freezer.

See... i got needs man... I got needs.

I'm leaning towards buying the membership because it's a one time deal.. and then the renewals are less in the following years.

I'm off during the weekdays.... is there a chance that I'll be able to find a spot to shoot (pistol) that isn't going to be crowded all the time?

Usually. I am not a member, but one of my good friends is and I've been there several times during the standard work week. Not to much for pistol shooting, but the times I have done so there has been at least one open bay. The rifle range has a few pistol/rimfire steel targets too.

The calender is on the website so it's easy to tell what events are scheduled, which bays, and the times. There are the north and east ranges as well as the main range so it would be tough to find a time when there isn't any open spot at all. Besides that, they're open till dark so it's easy to go out to shoot after work in the summer.

It is one of the nicest shooting clubs around. After your initial buy in, the annual dues are reasonable.

Well stocked pro shop, great staff, and for the most part your own private bay to shoot in.

I have never had a problem finding a bay to shoot in, either weekday or weekend, and like was said above, they post the events on the calendar.

You can also bring guests at no charge.

It's also about an hours drive for me, but it's definitely worth it. It's by far the best range I've shot at. There's plenty of bays available, and they're open 365 days a year. The rifle range is fantastic.

Plus, you don't have to worry about getting murdered out in the woods :)

The gun clubs in Oregon are one of my motivators for moving back to my home of Montana. They're small compared to the ones I'm used to, and cost about 10x to use. The range I use in Missoula, MT is 15 minutes drive from home and costs $3 per day to use (or $36 for the year). There is larger, nicer range about 20 minutes drive from home which operates on membership only; $48 year. No initiation fees, deposits for ID cards, etc. $200+ to go to a shooting range and practice is ridiculous.

It is one of the nicest shooting clubs around. After your initial buy in, the annual dues are reasonable.

Well stocked pro shop, great staff, and for the most part your own private bay to shoot in.

I have never had a problem finding a bay to shoot in, either weekday or weekend, and like was said above, they post the events on the calendar.

You can also bring guests at no charge.
They have a club house with a microwave, so you can bring a lunch and make a day of it. Indoor plumbing is a plus for me. Unlike other some other ranges, you can shoot targets other than just paper.

If you want to same money on membership, you can work off some of the cost of the dues.

You can shoot full auto there if you own one, or you can just watch if you don't.

It's only 45 minutes from Keizer with no off road driving.

I prefer driving up to the woods and shooting as opposed to an organized range. It allows me to do the things I want to do (holster work, speed shooting, reloading, multiple target engagements,...) without worrying about some range officer telling me when I can shoot. If I drive to a spot that has others there, I move on to the next area. You can shoot whatever target you want (as long as you clean up the trash afterward). You get to enjoy being in the outdoors, and drive through some amazing terrain.

That's why I prefer shooting in the forest.

ARPC is very well organized with a lot to offer. Classes, competitions, spectating, events, gun shows, and a fine facility. It has a lot more to offer than just a place to shoot.

I prefer driving up to the woods and shooting as opposed to an organized range. It allows me to do the things I want to do (holster work, speed shooting, reloading, multiple target engagements,...) without worrying about some range officer telling me when I can shoot. If I drive to a spot that has others there, I move on to the next area. You can shoot whatever target you want (as long as you clean up the trash afterward). You get to enjoy being in the outdoors, and drive through some amazing terrain.

That's why I prefer shooting in the forest.

You can do all of that at ARPC with the exception of shooting fruit/veggies and glass. Just clean up the bay when you're done.

I have been a member at ARPC for about 10 years. During the winter months, it is nice to be able to use the North range covered pistol areas, protected from the wind and rain. I get my wife and daughter to go by taking a portable propane heater set-up to provide some warmth. During the warmer months you have to pay attention to the schedules as the ranges can get busy. Checking on the calender and planning is a must.
The rifle range can get busy at times also, there are competitive events throughout the year and in the fall months, the range is open on a few weekends for non-members to sight in their rifles for hunting season. I don't like this much because it makes it inconvenient for me with all of the extra people, again check the schedule before visiting.
There is also a shotgun trap range and archery range if you are into either of these shooting sports.

not trying to step on thread just a question to the members. Is there a class for the new members if you want to use the action pit's. I shoot the ABC shoot every year and would like to join and practice for that and maybe some 3 gun shoots

not trying to step on thread just a question to the members. Is there a class for the new members if you want to use the action pit's. I shoot the ABC shoot every year and would like to join and practice for that and maybe some 3 gun shoots

ARPC has a new member orientation class that covers the use of all the areas including the pistol bays. Some of the bays are very deep for rifle fun too. They offer several competition and practice events monthly, such as defensive handgun practice, USPSA, Multi-gun, and speed steel. See their website for a description of events and calendar.

After the initial new member orientation, you are free to use the whole range without any further classes.

There is also an archery range.

(Jester316, there are no range officers policing you at ARPC other than an occasional walk through. If you are being safe and responsible you get no grief.)

I am fairly new to the area and am accustomed to paying by the day. It turns out that if I get back to my previous schedule of shooting the annual membership is cheaper than the discounted daily fees I used to pay.

I do believe that other ranges around limit or prohibit drawing from a holster and this is a major part of what I like to do as I am primarily an action revolver shooter. If you are using a bay there are few restrictions. In fact, full auto is permitted in at least some of the bays.

There are quite a few bays and they are seldom busy during the weekdays. I prefer to use them over the rifle range for my convenience; setting up scenarios, non standard distances, etc.

I do wish they would put the rifle range on timed shooting and target check intervals to make scheduling time easier, have informally made that request, but do not know whether they will be or are doing that.

The pro shop has had some good prices on reloading components and ammo. I know their Winchester SP primers, for example, were extremely competitive with anything else I've seen last time I made a purchase.

I guess the thought of having to pay someone to go shooting doesn't sit well with me. I lived in Lincoln City and could shoot within 5 minutes of my home. Now, I'm in Portland and have to drive 45 minutes to shoot in the forest. But again, I can go and shoot whatever targets I want, in any fashion I want, and only have to pay for targets and ammo. I can walk up to the targets whenever I want, I can shoot from any range I want, and I can shoot clays, potatoes, paper plates, shotgun shells, plywood, and anything I want to. I'm responsible enough to clean up after myself (and usually after others too).

The only benefit to a dedicated range is a known distance range for sighting stuff in... But, knowing how many feet are in a yard means I can get close enough for my goals just by pacing things off.

As a member, I love it, I used to drive out in the woods to shoot but due to overcrowding and who the hell knows who you will find out there ( cue banjo music ), I decided that a gun club was the best way to go. if you wish to shoot a long gun you have the main range and if you simply wish to plink, you can have your own, pretty much private little range to yourself on the north range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top