JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just so you don't drive in and get turned around like I have a couple times …last week and this week.

Rifle and pistol have been closed….
Check website before going in. Last Sunday it didn't open until 12pm

I hear staffing issues…

Who cares, "one guy, a guy" who "works" at the rifle and pistol range is a effing bullie and a-hole, as far as I'm concerned the place can shut down permanently.

:edited

Last Edited:
Just so you don't drive in and get turned around like I have a couple times …last week and this week.

Rifle and pistol have been closed….
Check website before going in. Last Sunday it didn't open until 12pm

I hear staffing issues…
Let's coordinate using the action bay - don't need a babysitter at the pistol/rifle side for that.

It's a good range, but the old guy who regularly manned the range retired, it's pretty much a job that only an old retired person with nothing better to do will do, or someone whose got little marketable skills. It's not like it pays well.

Who cares, the guys who run the rifle and pistol range are effing bullies and a-holes, as far as I'm concerned the place can shut down permanently.
Oh no, what's your butthurt story?

I've known one other person who had that same feeling and he opened his rifle bag the wrong direction, took it out of the bag facing the benches instead downrange, flagged his wife and others turning it around, and then was butthurt the rangemaster grilled him for it.

It's a good range, not too far from Seattle, and you're hoping it gets closed, what are you high? That's what anti-freedom liberals want.

Last Edited:
Let's coordinate using the action bay - don't need a babysitter at the pistol/rifle side for that.

It's a good range, but the old guy who regularly manned the range retired, it's pretty much a job that only an old retired person with nothing better to do will do, or someone whose got little marketable skills. It's not like it pays well.
Yeah that's ideal. I've ran into some yellow badges here and there and got a pistol fix in. I'm going to sign up for the range officer class next time it comes around.

It's still my go to place to shoot. The other week I did the ASL introduction and my 1st match. I like shooting pistol in action bay. Much better/relaxed environment.

I usually go Saturday or Sunday. I'll pm my cell if you are serious about coordinating a range day. Thx

Who cares, the guys who run the rifle and pistol range are effing bullies and a-holes, as far as I'm concerned the place can shut down permanently.
There has been some real (rules guys) and a few that let the power go to their ego. There was a guy last year who was really excitable. He's moved on.

To be fair
These guys take on some responsibility/liability I wouldn't want, and I've seen plenty of unsafe actions/attitudes that would dictate some serious response.

I've known one other person who had that same feeling and he opened his rifle bag the wrong direction, flagged his wife and others turning it around, and then was butthurt the rangemaster grilled him for it.

It's a good range, not too far from Seattle, and you're hoping it gets closed, what are you high? That's what anti-freedom liberals want.
When I first thought of going there I read google reviews. Plenty of angry first time visitors. I recommend to anyone thinking of going "do not read google reviews", very one sided and reactionary.

The first time I saw the training/rules video I thought this place was ridiculous. Too many limitations when it comes to semi auto rifles. But since they've changed it up and I understood why they had those limitations in place…. It's not unreasonable.

My after thought was the initial limitations were a great idea…. Between the reviews of angry folks and single round mags… I'd bet they keep a lot of unsafe shooters from even showing up. Thank you for that.

It's a safer place to shoot and has helped slowed my shooting down enough that if gained better shooting mechanics and observations of how my rifle/pistol and ammunition perform… also my weak spots.

I agree that's its a good place to shoot, and there's always an angry review

Yeah that's ideal. I've ran into some yellow badges here and there and got a pistol fix in. I'm going to sign up for the range officer class next time it comes around.

It's still my go to place to shoot. The other week I did the ASL introduction and my 1st match. I like shooting pistol in action bay. Much better/relaxed environment.

I usually go Saturday or Sunday. I'll pm my cell if you are serious about coordinating a range day. Thx
I'm always serious about shooting in the action bay! Since it can't be used individually, having a list of contacts to shoot there is very helpful.

Compared to the pistol lanes it's like going to a Trashy Walmart vs. Costco on a really good free sample day.

Haha

I've known one other person who had that same feeling and he opened his rifle bag the wrong direction, took it out of the bag facing the benches instead downrange, flagged his wife and others turning it around, and then was butthurt the rangemaster grilled him for it.

Read the review that I posted here.

1698073869767.png

When I first thought of going there I read google reviews. Plenty of angry first time visitors. I recommend to anyone thinking of going "do not read google reviews", very one sided and reactionary.

The first time I saw the training/rules video I thought this place was ridiculous. Too many limitations when it comes to semi auto rifles. But since they've changed it up and I understood why they had those limitations in place…. It's not unreasonable.

My after thought was the initial limitations were a great idea…. Between the reviews of angry folks and single round mags… I'd bet they keep a lot of unsafe shooters from even showing up. Thank you for that.

It's a safer place to shoot and has helped slowed my shooting down enough that if gained better shooting mechanics and observations of how my rifle/pistol and ammunition perform… also my weak spots.

I agree that's its a good place to shoot, and there's always an angry review
I've been going there off and on for more than 10 years. The general public who've never shot guns before and want to try stuff they've seen in movies should not go there to shoot. At one point in my life I worked at the Bellevue indoor range as a safety officer - it was crazily dangerous what some of the public came in a and tried to pull off. If you are ever at an indoor range (at this point I abhor the thought) just look around at the ceiling, walls, lane dividers. They all have bullet strikes/holes.

The 1 round limit on the rifle range is for the public, members can load more with range master permission. It's designed to keep people from mag dumping on the rifle line and actually hit their target.

People who want to mag dump can get certified to use the action bay and do that there. It's allowed, although it's a waste of ammo, but whatever. More brass for me!

Read the review that I posted here.

View attachment 1746856
They deal with idiots being unsafe with weapons that are lethal in an instant when carelessly used.

Maybe you don't listen worth a bubblegum. Maybe the range guy was having a bad day and you got the brunt of it.

Dropping cops as some expert in gun handling and trying to legitimize your viewpoint is a joke though. The most proficient gun handlers in our country are not cops, they are regular people who are REALLY passionate about shooting. Cops have to go through a tiny bit of mandatory training, but they are not immune from unsafe actions.

Also - some range masters are in fact dickheads. But does that mean the range is terrible? No, it's actually the easiest thing to fix. 1 personnel change and it's all better.

There's a guy there who'd try to give me a hard time every time I went. Seemed like jealousy - he peaked a long time ago in life and probably didn't like the reminder that was me just existing. Just live your life and enjoy shooting (safely).

Anyway, I encourage you to try the range with a different rangemaster. Sounds like it would be a different experience, unless you don't listen for bubblegum.

They deal with idiots being unsafe with weapons that are lethal in an instant when carelessly used.

Maybe you don't listen worth a bubblegum. Maybe the range guy was having a bad day and you got the brunt of it.

Dropping cops as some expert in gun handling and trying to legitimize your viewpoint is a joke though. The most proficient gun handlers in our country are not cops, they are regular people who are REALLY passionate about shooting. Cops have to go through a tiny bit of mandatory training, but they are not immune from unsafe actions.

Also - some range masters are in fact dickheads. But does that mean the range is terrible? No, it's actually the easiest thing to fix. 1 personnel change and it's all better.

There's a guy there who'd try to give me a hard time every time I went. Seemed like jealousy - he peaked a long time ago in life and probably didn't like the reminder that was me just existing. Just live your life and enjoy shooting (safely).

Anyway, I encourage you to try the range with a different rangemaster. Sounds like it would be a different experience, unless you don't listen for bubblegum.
I get it, and I have no problems with my hearing... the guy mumbled and made no effort... and no, I do not think cops are the greatest at anything gun. My point was the guy was such an arrogant a_ss that he acted like a raving nutjob even when he knew he could get in trouble. Moe (fed way dis owner) is friends with the owner of the club as well and even that did not temper this want to be tyrant. I understand everything that you are saying about the need to have stringent safety precautions, but this guy went way overboard.

I've been going there off and on for more than 10 years. The general public who've never shot guns before and want to try stuff they've seen in movies should not go there to shoot. At one point in my life I worked at the Bellevue indoor range as a safety officer - it was crazily dangerous what some of the public came in a and tried to pull off. If you are ever at an indoor range (at this point I abhor the thought) just look around at the ceiling, walls, lane dividers. They all have bullet strikes/holes.

The 1 round limit on the rifle range is for the public, members can load more with range master permission. It's designed to keep people from mag dumping on the rifle line and actually hit their target.

People who want to mag dump can get certified to use the action bay and do that there. It's allowed, although it's a waste of ammo, but whatever. More brass for me!
Very interesting read. The reviews I mean. The wife and I were members of Johnson Creek GC for several years, seven maybe? Then the rona. Then when they reopened funky rules like reservations, 5 out of ten lanes only, 30 minute limit. Didn't re-up at $175.00/year. The Renton Club looks beautiful! Good price too. But there is ZERO reason for some dick to be yelling at people. Too many of the same review to just be an occasional thing. And limiting semi auto rife to one-shot at a time? JCGC was small cal rifle only and hand gun, no magnum. No draw from holster, and 2 seconds between shots. Non manned range. It worked good for us. W had no issues with the rules and people were very respectful.
Now I kind of wish I'd kept our membership there. My hand gun skills went to CRAP spending what little shooting time we get now with rifle at distance.

View from the outside as I have no horse in this race. Yelp reviews show over half are one (mostly) or two star reviews. The common denominator is with the staff, not a single person but many. If a bunch of new shooters (who we as a group should really want to keep on our side) are getting turned off and kicked out, a wise business/range owner might want to think that communication is lacking.

Sadly, I see this all the time that because an entity has forms, signs, notices posted...whatever...they are doing their part. But it is pretty clear that it is not working. The highest priority in an RSO or range worker is not knowledge (this can be taught) it is a disposition to allow the message to be understood. Pulling a knife on someone (as indicated in one of the reviews) might not qualify for this. (I wasn't there but what in the wide, wide world of sports caused this to happen???)

I get it in that I've been part of ranges where attitude on the part of some has been challenging and communication lacking. As communication improves, so has satisfaction.

To be fair
These guys take on some responsibility/liability I wouldn't want, and I've seen plenty of unsafe actions/attitudes that would dictate some serious response.
I took the NRA course and used to volunteer as an RSO at a range where I'm a life member. The range is an "open sky" type, no baffle system (yet). While I was an RSO (and trustee), we had an off-range impact claim against us. It was a worrying time; the claimant as it turned out was a person who had some experience of taking people to court. Fortunately (?) the day she claimed a bullet nicked her son's finger, was a day that the range had rented the facilities out to a local police department. No lawsuit was forthcoming; I later figured once she learned she was up against a city PD, the pockets for defense were too deep.

HOWEVER, this made me gun shy of continuing to take on RSO duties. Because lawsuits of this type often list any and all concerned people as defendants. I decided I was too old to buy another house. So, this is the thought that might be in some RSO's minds when they deal with safety violators. I finished out my time as trustee, but decided I wouldn't continue as an RSO until they got baffles up. Which hasn't happened, in spite of my lobbying for it during and after my time as a trustee.

They've got to have all these rules and signs, see my comments above. People who are used to going out into the woods and blasting away at will, those are the ones who are apt to be put off by range rules. Military veterans, on the other hand, are typically used to these sorts of rules.

The highest priority in an RSO or range worker is not knowledge (this can be taught) it is a disposition to allow the message to be understood.
Here I will generalize a bit. In my experience of life, gun people tend to veer to the Right. And people on the Right tend to be more free-spirited and less tolerant, therefore not necessarily People Persons. Age can be a factor, as sometimes people get crabbier as they get older and less willing to suffer fools gladly.

I get it, and I have no problems with my hearing... the guy mumbled and made no effort... and no, I do not think cops are the greatest at anything gun. My point was the guy was such an arrogant a_ss that he acted like a raving nutjob even when he knew he could get in trouble. Moe (fed way dis owner) is friends with the owner of the club as well and even that did not temper this want to be tyrant. I understand everything that you are saying about the need to have stringent safety precautions, but this guy went way overboard.
Yep, I get it, I've dealt with the guy I think you are referring to. He was a dickhead, he's probably no longer even there, but that's a big oversimplification to paint the whole range in a bad light because of experiencing one bubblegum.

If that were the case with everything you do you wouldn't even come back to NWFA because of some of the dickheads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top