JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bullets can do weird things when they hit flesh.

Add in :
The willingness to live in an animal...
The skill of shooting under actual hunting conditions....
As in not on a good day at the range off a bench in idea weather and conditions...
But after one has walked a while...in bad weather and poor light as well as being cold , wet , tired and hungry...

All of the above can turn even a easy shot into a iffy one.

It is wise to practice hunting shots under actual field conditions to see how well you and your gear works when out hunting...
Otherwise all you really know is what some data book tells you and how well you shoot...
At a rifle range.
Andy

Why exactly was one of them not armed hunting bear? I don't hunt but being invited to even just watch or tag along….. it was strongly advised to be armed.
Even on a pig hunt I was told you'd need a side arm on top of your rifle/slugged shotty.

Long range hunting is an increasing trend these days. My guess is the conditions which they zeroed at were not the same as the hunt location... temp, humidity, altitude.

I wasnt there, but if they truly hit vitals I dont see how a bear could travel over 400 yds with a double lung shot.
"Long range hunting" is an oxymoron.

So if you hit a bear at 400 ish yards, and it starts running toward you. Has it located you by the sound, the smell, sight, etc?

I'm just wondering how it knows which direction to run in to go kill those hunters?
On Kodiak island, the bears have learned to respond instantly when a gunshot is heard during the Blacktail deer season. Field dressing of a buck normally is done with an armed guard, port arms, safety off.

Even a mild-mannered Black Bear is the boss of his woods, and two of them I arrowed fatally circled back to the scene of the shot before they died (presumably to challenge the attacker).

How about;
We Survived Being Stupid and let everyone know about!!
Yea I didn't watch the whole video but the part with the actual bear in it (not a story which may or may not be true) showed a sluggish and wounded bear downhill from them. Looks like they maybe set out to leverage the piss out of this on social media and possibly drive views to make $.

One has to wonder if the long range shots were ineffective on purpose to make what they considered a dramatic video to generate them $. It looks to me they are focused on generating the video and leveraging the story.

I owned a Rem 700 338 Rum 20 some years ago. It was to date the most accurate factory hunting rifle I have ever owned. It swallowed copious amounts of RL 25 powder and would spit out a 250gr swift a-frame at 3000fps+, while stacking bullets into tiny clusters at 200yds. It also kicked like a mule. I shot it well, but I realized it was causing me develop a flinch. Not being a fan of brakes on hunting rifles, it went down the road.
This is not really germane to the subject at hand but it just brought back the memory of this rifle. I do think the 250 swift a-frame would have been a better bullet choice though.

Last Edited:
Why exactly was one of them not armed hunting bear? I don't hunt but being invited to even just watch or tag along….. it was strongly advised to be armed.
Even on a pig hunt I was told you'd need a side arm on top of your rifle/slugged shotty.
One of the first times I went to Alaska on a hunting trip, 30 some years ago, it was just to tag along and help my bro in law get a moose. In a phone conversation before the hunt, he asked if I was bringing a rifle. Being indoctrinated in some of Washington's silly laws, I said, "wouldn't that require me to have a valid tag of some sort in my pocket?". He replied, "up here you might get a ticket for being stupid if caught in the bush without a rifle". So I brought a 7mm mag and a box of handloaded 175gr swift a-frames. I never had to use the rifle but it did make sense having it for many reasons.

I'd assume the round was safe if following the recommendations of the powder manufacturer or reliable reloading information books
That was my assumption as well - until I blew a couple of primers out with some .22-250 rounds that were loaded under maximum. I NEVER exceed maximum loads listed and check multiple sources (usually Lyman, Speer and Sierra manuals). I'm not THAT guy. I had a cousin who was THAT guy, and I would not shoot his handloads. He had stories of having to beat bolts open with a block of wood.

I backed off one grain and ended up with a very accurate load. Now when working up a load, I tend to start toward the low end and work my way up slowly. Before I would start more toward mid-range.

My √484 ultra internal explosive monumental super duper ultra hot magnum mini mag with rim fire assisted accelerant shooting 2203.16 milligrams of high density specially coated high tek lead out of a 154.2 millimeter barrel made the 12960 point shot with ease. The animal known universally as the most ferocious pound for pound never knew what hit him, or her.
That massive shrew never took a step. Sure to rate very high on the Boon and full of crocket list.

It seems to be the thing the young guys wearing Sitka gear they show up and look like a thousand dollar bill . They tell you they do long range hunting 700 yards minimum they also cannot find their kill half the time hmmmmm. I walk the other way as soon as I see one of those kiester clowns !

Yeah, this family seems to be willing to do some marginal chit! I did not watch the whole thing but the first bear they killed was it on it's back with it's head towards them. It was getting dark and it wouldn't get up so he took the shot and got lucky. Definitely an ill advised shot. What could go wrong?

It seems to be the thing the young guys wearing Sitka gear they show up and look like a thousand dollar bill . They tell you they do long range hunting 700 yards minimum they also cannot find their kill half the time hmmmmm. I walk the other way as soon as I see one of those kiester clowns !
More money than brains, fancy gear doesn't make them better hunters. Maybe someday they will realize that

Hey don't judge lol. I am older and not a super sniper but I am slowly accumulating some sitka and kuiu gear. I have bought it all on sale but time will tell if it is worth the scratch. So far so good. If you want to see some brown bear hunts done well, look at some of modern day mountain man vids (Billy Mols).

More money than brains, fancy gear doesn't make them better hunters. Maybe someday they will realize that
I have seen those guys with their 7k rifles and Kestral wind chimes and still can't hit a 500 yard target ! I get my $49 Mosin with surplus ammo and use open sights at 500 yards but would not try to make a kill at that distance this isn't war time .

Speaking only for myself...

Hunting is about respect.
Respect for the animal hunted...respect for the land hunted on...respect for my hunting and shooting skills.
As for that last bit...staying within my limits of shooting to make a good shot or clean miss.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads