JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People are simply using these services to document their memories. Its also a great way to share your memories with family.
I'm sure that was the original intent.
Sharing pics of the kiddos growing up with the family, etc.

My point was how the braggarts are using the social media platforms to declare their greatness to the world.
And there's legit stuff and then there's the goofballs.
For example, poachers cannot resist bragging, so they post on social media to declare their greatness.
That weakness has gotten them tagged and bagged themselves.

I just have one last comment and then I will let this lie. A big coastal brown bear is arguably the toughest animal to kill in N America. Even when perfectly executed shots are made at reasonable ranges these bears can soak up the punishment and stay on their feet looking for a fight, but not for 600+ yards over a 50 minute span. Those shots were not perfectly placed. As distance increases the chances of the point of impact straying from the poa goes up dramatically when accounting for shooter error and environmental factors. The girl claimed at one point the wind was howling and you can hear it in the mic and see it on their clothing. So let's say it was blowing 20mph quartering into their faces at the shot. At 475yds, my rough calculations show that bullet will drift almost 13 inches in those conditions. Even if he dialed or held off perfectly to compensate for a steady wind, we all know wind is gusty. Terrain like they were in almost guarantees the wind did not act in a uniform matter as that bullet was in flight. I highly doubt there was a perfect shot into the vitals of that bear judging by his gumption to try and get them over a 50 minute span. The cards were stacked against them and they either should have got much closer or walked away in my opinion.

I thought we learned the 3 shots were all in "the vitals" but maybe im mistaken.
In the video the woman says one shot in the vitals but nothing specific about "which" vitals, one shot that went between the lungs/spine (likely the cause of the hind leg dragging due to some sort of spinal trauma I would guess) and I don't recall where they indicate the third shot impacted.

I am not sure how many AK Guides do coastal Brown bear hunts, but if you asked 100 of them if they would have taken that shot in the first vid, I bet 99 of them would say no way. Even though it turned out better and the shot was much closer, I find the shot in the second vid I posted even sketchier.
No guide would have allowed that first shot.
I figure if they want to eat my chickens and try to eat my cats and little dogs, it's game on.
Agree with this, except for the wing shot part. I have no issues culling coyotes but not a fan of wounding game intentiinally. Make it a confident kill shot or pass.

..and if you've ever seen a pack of Coyotes eat a calf alive while it is still in the birthing process or seen the scattered remains of your neighbor kid's dog, you'd try your best to kill every one you ever saw, and lose no sleep if he ran off after the hit.
I thought we learned the 3 shots were all in "the vitals" but maybe im mistaken.
Watching for the first time, I called every visible rifle shot on that Bear as high (no place else for the first shot to go without a whole bear to shoot at). and such was largely confirmed by the girl in her post-game analysis.

Which leads me to another question: Why isn't Dapper Dan The Well-Dressed Man doing the critique of his own poor decisions?

One more red check-mark toward his overall character.

..and if you've ever seen a pack of Coyotes eat a calf alive while it is still in the birthing process or seen the scattered remains of your neighbor kid's dog, you'd try your best to kill every one you ever saw, and lose no sleep if he ran off after the hit.
Understandable. I have no sympathy for them when protecting livestock or pets. I do tend to forget that many people own livestock or live in rural areas where coyotes are more common.
My only exposure to them is when I drive out to public lands to hunt. I have no problem culling predators to help game herds, (and put blame on the Democrats who tie the hands of fish and game depts. predator hunting.) But out there in the woods i respect the yotes are just doing their thing to live as nature intended so i would never shoot to wing i would place the shot witb the same respect i give the deer or any game species....

But out there in the woods i respect the yotes are just doing their thing to live as nature intended so i would never shoot to wing i would place the shot witb the same respect i give the deer or any game species....
I believe you may have misinterpreted the post from @slimmer13 . "Wing one at them" (to me, at least; perhaps he can clarify) meant he'd take the shot at a Coyote even if it wasn't a perfect set-up and a certain kill shot. I did not take that as to mean he'd purposefully send a wounding shot. The intent IS to kill.

So would I. (The only hesitation I would have would be if I thought I'd be in that area calling for Coyotes in the near future: in other words, have a better chance at him and others later, or if the shot would disturb my hunt for other species.)

As to "just doing their thing to live as nature intended" and "place the shot with the same respect I give deer or any game species", I would suggest that Coyotes treat a birthing elk or deer much as they treat a birthing cow. If you saw a pack ripping a calf Elk from the mother's vulva in labor, would you shoot the Coyotes?

I sure hope you would, and I would guess you would not take the time or care toward your shot as you would a trophy Elk.

Do you do rodent control in your home? After all, Rats and Mice are just living as nature intended. A poisoned Rat or one not quite killed by a trap suffers a helluva lot more and for a lot more time than a gut-shot Coyote.

Do you treat a Mosquito or Cockroach with the same respect as a Butterfly? (Or do you try to kill everyone you can at every opportunity?) Got a can of Raid under your sink?

I have monumental respect for Coyotes' intelligence and instinct for survival. They will be on this planet (with the Rats and Cockroaches) long after our species is dust. A good portion of my motivation toward trying to kill them is the fact that they represent a VERY worthy opponent. They win just about as often as I do.

But I'll save my "live and let live" for others of God's creatures.

I think with a clarified meaning of @slimmer13 's post and honest answers to these questions, you'd find you have more in common with us than you think.:D

Last Edited:
@Spitpatch I think we all have a lot in common here. But i wont take "wing shots as far as the eye can see" just because somethings a predator that eats baby deer. Im well aware of the cruelty of nature and cant change that but im not gonna intentionally wound something and not care about the suffering.

I believe you may have misinterpreted the post from @slimmer13 . "Wing one at them" (to me, at least; perhaps he can clarify) meant he'd take the shot at a Coyote even if it wasn't a perfect set-up and a certain kill shot. I did not take that as to mean he'd purposefully send a wounding shot. The intent IS to kill.

So would I. (The only hesitation I would have would be if I thought I'd be in that area calling for Coyotes in the near future: in other words, have a better chance at him and others later, or if the shot would disturb my hunt for other species.)

As to "just doing their thing to live as nature intended" and "place the shot with the same respect I give deer or any game species", I would suggest that Coyotes treat a birthing elk or deer much as they treat a birthing cow. If you saw a pack ripping a calf Elk from the mother's vulva in labor, would you shoot the Coyotes?

I sure hope you would, and I would guess you would not take the time or care toward your shot as you would a trophy Elk.

Do you do rodent control in your home? After all, Rats and Mice are just living as nature intended. A poisoned Rat or one not quite killed by a trap suffers a helluva lot more and for a lot more time than a gut-shot Coyote.

Do you treat a Mosquito or Cockroach with the same respect as a Butterfly? (Or do you try to kill everyone you can at every opportunity?) Got a can of Raid under your sink?

I have monumental respect for Coyotes' intelligence and instinct for survival. They will be on this planet (with the Rats and Cockroaches) long after our species is dust. A good portion of my motivation toward trying to kill them is the fact that they represent a VERY worthy opponent. They win just about as often as I do.

But I'll save my "live and let live" for others of God's creatures.

I think with a clarified meaning of @slimmer13 's post and honest answers to these questions, you'd find you have more in common with us than you think.:D

@Spitpatch I think we all have a lot in common here. But i wont take "wing shots as far as the eye can see" just because somethings a predator that eats baby deer. Im well aware of the cruelty of nature and cant change that but im not gonna intentionally wound something and not care about the suffering.

Yes, wing one at them. As in take shots I wouldn't be comfortable taking on game animals. not wing them.

It's weird that I remember this episode...

One of our retired guys came out to the job one day.
Very nice guy, personable guy.
All of a sudden he starts chasing and swatting at some harmless bug in the job office.
Expending a lot of effort trying to get this bug.
If I recall, the bug escaped.

I thought to myself :
"How does a guy get to 83 years old and act like that ?"

Last Edited:
I also watched this and the first thing that jumped out at me was shooting a large bear at that distance. A lot of people are into long range shooting but this is a slippery slope. An antelope at 500 yards is one thing but elk, bear etc is a real candidate for problems-I DON'T CARE WHAT CALIBER YOUR USING!

The other question i had was if he attempted a head shot with the pistol when the bear was coming straight on or did he opt for body shots to save the skull.

Hitting a target at that range isn't the problem (hell any Marine out their can kill you at 500 yards USING OPEN SIGHTS), it's the drop in retained energy and lack of penetration, as well as bullet construction that can be a problem on an animal of this size.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top