JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any Bear hunters on here? I've lived in the Midwest all my life minus a couple years in Florida. I've never had the want to hunt bears where I've lived before (flat land, treestand hunting) but now living here I'm very excited to give it a go in the foothills and mountains. Would love to hear some general tips for fall bear hunting or just discussion in general. I've read the coastals are generally better but I really love the terrain of the cascades more. Is August the best time to catch one on its feet feeding? My gut tells me late September would be better as the mornings and evenings start to really cool off but I have no clue. It's been so dang hot that I'm admittedly lacking in scouting thus far but I have several areas marked to check out that I found last fall grouse hunting. I've only really explored unit 19 as that's close to home for me.

Hoping for some general pointers. Regardless I'll be scraping boot leather soon. Excited for Bear, deer, and elk!

August and September both make for some good bear hunting.
Early morning and early evening seem to work the best.
That said...I have stumbled upon bear mid-day went out after grouse....

I'd keep an eye out for black berry brambles....bears love feeding on 'em.
Sign is lots of poop of course...and broken branches , kinda like as if someone took a rake to the berry bush itself.
Andy

I've had better luck hunting for Spring bears in the Cascades, as far as bear hunting goes. However, I have run across quite a few bears in Fall while elk and deer hunting. I've inadvertently called in a few bears while bowhunting over east in the Snake, Imnaha and Sled Springs units. They seem to like my Hoochie Mama calf elk call made by Primos. I passed on a pretty big bear in the Cascades a couple of years ago, because I already had plenty of bear meat in the freezer from a Spring bear. He was just out in a big high meadow, rooting around for grubs in rotten logs and such.

Bear isn't my favorite meat, but they do make for fine sausage, jerky and pepper stick. That can be pretty pricey at the meat processing place though.

I've had better luck hunting for Spring bears in the Cascades, as far as bear hunting goes. However, I have run across quite a few bears in Fall while elk and deer hunting. I've inadvertently called in a few bears while bowhunting over east in the Snake, Imnaha and Sled Springs units. They seem to like my Hoochie Mama calf elk call made by Primos. I passed on a pretty big bear in the Cascades a couple of years ago, because I already had plenty of bear meat in the freezer from a Spring bear. He was just out in a big high meadow, rooting around for grubs in rotten logs and such.

Bear isn't my favorite meat, but they do make for fine sausage, jerky and pepper stick. That can be pretty pricey at the meat processing place though.
Interesting! I didn't draw spring bear this year but really looking forward to it next spring

It's been so dang hot that I'm admittedly lacking in scouting thus far but I have several areas marked to check out that I found last fall grouse hunting. I've only really explored unit 19 as that's close to home for me.

Hoping for some general pointers. Regardless I'll be scraping boot leather soon. Excited for Bear, deer, and elk!
Im not a dedicated bear hunter but will if I see one in deer season. I dont see a lot of bears but do see a lot of scat when berry season hits... which, is right about now. Find areas with berrys ripening and you will find bear scat. I dont have any advice on strategy...

Note some units (19) are closed to bear hunting during certain deer or elk seasons, unless you have a deer/elk tag for that unit. See pg 19.

Interesting! I didn't draw spring bear this year but really looking forward to it next spring
If you got a preference point for applying this year, you should be a lock for getting a tag next year. It was only about four years ago that the area I hunt (SW Oregon) became a draw area. Before that it was just over-the-counter tags, first come first served. I drew this year but didn't get out much. Most of my favorite spots were under snow until nearly the end of the season. Ironically, a game camera I was finally able to check in June, that got snowed in back in October 2022, had been torn off of a tree by a bear. There were some good shots of him pulling at the camera strap. Pretty funny stuff. Luckily he didn't damage anything.

ETA: That "lock" comment would only apply for the SW unit.

Ironically, a game camera I was finally able to check in June, that got snowed in back in October 2022, had been torn off of a tree by a bear. There were some good shots of him pulling at the camera strap. Pretty funny stuff. Luckily he didn't damage anything.
bears love to rough up trail cams. I had one tear mine almost off the tree. I had to use JB weld to remold the camera frame and make new holes to thread the cable lock. Camera still works.

Berry patches for sure. If your willing to drive a little farther north I could send ya into a few areas I know well. I'm not a bear hunter but I know the ground and have killed a few bears in my days.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top