JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He was the Tom Peterson, "The happy place to buy", guy of Alaskan pizza. An institution of local late night pre-cable TV commercial Alaskan history! Came on all night during Friday Night Videos, and WWF Saturday Nights Main Event! Ah, to be young again. Oh, to go back to those annoying Mafia Mike days of yesteryear. Sad thing is I lived in Fairbanks. We didn't even have a Mafia Mikes. Closest thing we had was Pizza Pub, or Shakey's.

Yeah. I grew up in Anchorage. Just hearing the name instantly brought back memory of the cheesy tv ads with the pizzaria's name on what looked like black construction paper with "bullet" holes exploding onto it.

I'm trying to remember the tag line. It'll probably keep me up all night...

Quality hunting and quality fishing (absent crowds) requires serious hiking off the beaten path, or hiring of a bush plane.

My brother has lived in Wasilla for 30 years, my best friend taught school in Indian villages for 20 years. I've gone for Dall Sheep, Caribou, and fishing.

I love it. The people have a better attitude than lower 48 mentality.

If you try to fish in Ship Creek, the Fish and Game guys will fine you. Although you'll be surrounded by plenty of natives.

uh, oh you mean the upper part? 'cause the mouth of ship creek in down town is super combat fishing.

I used to go to a couple of quite spots in mid-town area and fished for sivers on Campbell creek. walk down the bike trail along the creek side, find a nice quiet pool and catch my daily limit of silvers then go home. During the main run, i would stop by the creek on the way to work catch one or to then we would have a nice grilled salmon lunch at work. That creek is absoultly filled with pinks in the off year.
All the lakes in A-town are filled with trout, most are filled with aircraft as well.
When I was a kid living in Eagle river (now a suburb of A-town) we had a tiny little creek you could jump across in our back yard, used to catch dollies and the rare pink in that.

Ah Alaska, never drove anywhere with out a gun and a fishing pole.:D
Had Bears in my back yard.
moose that stuck their head through the kitchen window to eat out of the sink.
Wolfs that are legal to shoot.
mosquitoes that will carry you off.

Why does it have to be so damn cold and dark in the wintertime?

little blurb here ---- http://www.alaska.net/~design/scenes/fishing/fishing.html

Last Edited:
uh, oh you mean the upper part? 'cause the mouth of ship creek in down town is super combat fishing.

I used to go to a couple of quite spots in mid-town area and fished for sivers on Campbell creek. walk down the bike trail along the creek side, find a nice quiet pool and catch my daily limit of silvers then go home. During the main run, i would stop by the creek on the way to work catch one or to then we would have a nice grilled salmon lunch at work. That creek is absoultly filled with pinks in the off year.
All the lakes in A-town are filled with trout, most are filled with aircraft as well.
When I was a kid living in Eagle river (now a suburb of A-town) we had a tiny little creek you could jump across in our back yard, used to catch dollies and the rare pink in that.

Ah Alaska, never drove anywhere with out a gun and a fishing pole.:D
Had Bears in my back yard.
moose that stuck their head through the kitchen window to eat out of the sink.
Wolfs that are legal to shoot.
mosquitoes that will carry you off.

Why does it have to be so damn cold and dark in the wintertime?

little blurb here ---- Fishing in Alaska, an Anchorage scene

That's the beauty. You can find stuff to do in or close to town or head further out. Options are expandedby your resources and the transportation you have available. Plane, boat, or ATV will help a lot.

Around town, when i was a kid, my friends and I would float Campbell Creek and fish the creek and lake when we got there. i pulled some lunker trout out of Jewl Lake. My best friend in High School lived in Oceanview. We would walk fromhis house down to Turnagain Arm to hunt ducks and geese. Big caveat on that. Don't bubblegum around with the mud un the inlet, especially in the washes. It'll suck you in like you wouldn't believe and the tide comes in like a river. If you're stuck, there is nothing they can do for you and you die. Be prepared to lose your waders and lay flat on the ground to crawl out. You will get muddy and stink to high heaven, but you will be alive. Be very careful around around the inlet.

There is good moose hunting north of town and on the Kenai. It helps a lot to have an offroad vehicle to get back.

Do not forget upland bird hunting. There is excellent ptarmigan and grouse hunting to be found. It's against the regs, but if you don't have an adequate sidearm, I wouldn't be surprised if the plug "slips" out of your shotgun and the last two loads were a slug and 00 buck in case you run into an overly inquisitive ursine hunting competitor.

You'll always hear about the river and lake fishing (combat or not), but if you have a boat or can charter one, there is a good chance you could find yourself wrestling a 2 or 300 pound halibut aboard.

I've been way too close to bear for comfort, late for work because two bull moose were locked antlers in the middle of the road, and I loved it. It is way too dark. I often wonder why I moved because I traded darkness for gray.

My family is still there so i go up every year or other to remind myself what I'm missing. :)

Last Edited:
We chartered a float plane to drop us off on a remote lake in the middle of nowhere once. Had a conue tied to the side of the plane. Caught northern pike all morning, but forgot the steel leaders so a lot of them bit through the line. Ran out of lures and still had about six hours until the plane came back so we just through out plain bait hooks with nothing on them for the heck of it. They even bit those! We caught a ton of fish that day.

Moral of the story is that you don't have to know how to fish to catch fish in Alaska. Totally spoiled me. I can't hardly fish here, just not the same.

I spent a week floating down the Gulkana river. Landed handful after handful of grayling that week using nothing but plain gold size #1 hook. Had an Eagle fly over the top of my head after a Salmon so close that it knocked my hat off.

Yea, do not mess with the mud flats. That will put a major dampener on your life in slow suffocating manor.

Over in the Lake Iliamna, hike to the Newhalem falls area, fishing and Bears everywhere. Every time I did the hike down and up I would be walking along side a bear at some point. ( we are talking feet apart).
At one point I was standing on a rock tossing a fly out, ten feet away way a brown fishing as well. At one point I looked over at him, his paws goes up showing off his catch, so I raised up mine to show off, I swear he gave me a nod of appreciation for my catch.

If you go fishing, and fish are running, you will see bears.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top