JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I are moving to Kenai, Ak in January, I have had one rifle a 375 H&H for awhile now, hunt everything with that rifle just change my loads. My uncle up there hunts everything with a 300 Win Mag I just like bigger bullets, they just bore a big hole through animals.
here is a pic, just missing it's rear sight 17.25 inch barrel.

20161101_105806.jpg

Last Edited:
One of my best friends got the same kind of deal from his wife for their anniversary, except his was a brown bear hunt. He whacked himself a nice bruin and has a beautiful rug on his wall that's impressively large. His rifle? A pre-64 Winchester 30-06 I let him about 30 years ago (I'm probably never getting it back, but that's what friends are for) and off-the-shelf Core-Lokt 180 grainers.

I have a Charles Daily action built into a 9.3x62 mauser with a Leopold V2 2-7x on it. I would take my rifle with the proper loads with no reservations. I cannot imagine needing more rifle. I recommend a good 9.3x62.

Ditto.

Matt

Last Edited:
Tim Wells of Relentless Pursuit tv show and you tube ,big time bow hunter,friend of Cold Steel owner, hunts most anything with a spear.
You can do it MB!!! Then film it and you tube it!

I remember visiting Fred Bears museum in Grayling Michigan as a kid. He use to hunt everything with a bow. He had this great bear he killed with a bow I think it was a polar bear standing on its back legs. I just remember standing under neath it and be amazed how big it was or how small I was
I think shot placement might be pretty important especially on something that size.

I have a Stainless Seiko .375 H&H that has been Magna-Ported which I've considered selling. It would be an ideal gun for where & what you are hunting.

First rifle I ever built is a .300 wby, so that might be considered...

I thoroughly dislike Savage actions. I've tried to like them, owned at least half a dozen. I just can't get there.

I have a lathe, and the ability to thread, so I'm not limited there. If I were to use a modern action, I would likely go to the Howa. I've used them before and really like them. My .300 weatherby is built on a Howa 1500 action.

Andy's suggestion is likely closer to the reality. I still have several Mauser actions laying around. But I have used a few of the Shaw barrels and haven't had any issues. I might use one for this. I'm not stuck on those calibers, I'm just fond of nostalgia and those calibers fit the bill.

I like the compact scope idea. Haven't decided if I want to go with a 1.5-5 or a 2-7, but that's a good idea, thanks! It will likely have iron sights as well, just because it can and should.

I've also used Boyds stocks. Don't mind them, but I also have had okay luck with Richards microfit (odd, given their less than stellar rep), and I have several walnut blanks. I also considered bedding the rifle into a walnut stock and into a synthetic so I have options.

Thanks all for the ideas! I will keep you informed on what I decide to do...
Amen on the Howa 1500 actions. I love them. If you do use one make sure the bolt has been through the recall program. Nothing wrong with the bolts except that the pre-recall bolts can be reassembled incorrectly causing a safety issue. The recall simply makes it impossible to assemble them incorrectly. Takes about 5 days turn around time if you mail the bolt in.

Rifle Product Recall (Bolt Action)

My wife just surprised me with a black bear tag for southeast Alaska. What a good wife. Little does she know this is likely going to cost us a bit. I'll need a new rifle to use. Not as though I don't have acceptable rifles for the job, but this is a reasonable excuse for a new one.

The question becomes, do I stick with .30-06 (I think I already have 9 or 10), or do I go with something else like a .35 Whalen or 9.3x72 Mauser...

The hunt will likely be in late May or early June, so there is time if I decide to build rather than buy...

Use the one you have the most confidence in. Meaning, the most accurate when shooting field positions, fits you well, balances great and carries nicely all day long in all conditions. There's nothing in AK that can't be killed with a good 30-06 and 200gr. nosler partitions... My favorite hunting rifle is my oldest rifle. It's also a 30-06. It's not my lightest rifle, nor is it my prettiest rifle, but it's the most trusted one and that says a lot...;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top