Bear Hunting Alaska

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by MountainBear, Dec 20, 2016.

1. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

The .45/70 will be going. But I will still take something else. The .45/70 will be good if I have to track a wounded animal or to stand guard while an animal is dressed out (no free lunches for big bears).
    Otherwise I want a rifle with a bit more distance. I think I have narrowed it down to building a .30-06, a .35 Whalen, or a 9.3x62.

clearconscience, bbbass and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

I have always loved a good 35 Whalen but if I was building a rifle from scratch I think the 358 Norma is more versatile. 250 grains at 2700 fps and it will fit in a standard length action. Better bullet availability that the 9.3 bore and if you need, brass is easy to make.

bbbass and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

If you are going to build something, according to your earlier post, why not consider the 300H&H. I know you don't want to consider the 300wm or 338wm. Make it something cool like the old 300H&H since you already have "9 or 10" 30-06's......;) The H&H has mucho cool factor going for it..

AndyinEverson and MountainBear like this.
  4. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

It does, but the work to stretch the actions that I have available isn't worth the squeeze. If I had a Howa or Remington action laying around, the H&H definitely has a cool factor to it.

But opening an old Mauser, while possible, is likely more than I really want to do. I'd have to open the bolt face, mag box, the bottom of the action, and massage the feed rails and feed ramp...

5. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I gotcha. I forgot you were building on a 98. How are the other 30-06's set up? Excellent glass? Perfect balance? Does one handle better than the others or are you just bored and want to build a new rifle? Could you modify one of the existing ones to better suit your needs??? New Mcmillan stock for instance? Lighten one up and throw a primo scope on it, for another example...

bbbass and AndyinEverson like this.
  6. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

I could use most any of them and have a great hunt. This is an excuse to build a rifle for a once in a life time (at least for me) hunt.

I have so many rifles that I could definitely hunt anything in the US and almost anything in the world. If I added a true dangerous game rifle beyond my .45-70, then I'd be all set. But there's limited fun in using something I already have. Much more fun, since I have to build a gun for my father in law anyway, so I may as well build two rifles...

7. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Very cool. I'm thinking you should build a matching pair. One for your FIL and one for you. Laser engrave the floor plate or something so you know which one is which...

bbbass likes this.
  8. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

He has much different desires in what he wants. He wants a slick barrel 19" .30-06 truck/boat gun. I want a 22" barrel with iron sights and a scope.
    I like the laser engraving. May have to try that.

bbbass likes this.
  9. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

Well, I broke down and ordered a .35 Whalen barrel. I haven't decided which of my Mauser actions to use yet.

10. orygun

orygun
    West Linn
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You'll have plenty of rifle.
    I'm too late, but was going to say 30 Newton.

bsa1917hunter and MountainBear like this.
  11. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

I considered .308 Norma magnum for a bit too. But after everything, the nostalgia of the .35 Whelen won out!

mjbskwim likes this.
  12. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

I built a 308 Norma magnum on a VZ24 action years ago. Was a good round and worked great in the standard length Mauser action. We rechambered an 06 barrel as I remember.

MountainBear and bsa1917hunter like this.
  13. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Sweet Home, OR

Once I get all the parts together I will start some build threads. I currently have at least four Mauser builds in th barreling stage.

Slobray, orygun and AndyinEverson like this.