JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife just surprised me with a black bear tag for southeast Alaska. What a good wife. Little does she know this is likely going to cost us a bit. I'll need a new rifle to use. Not as though I don't have acceptable rifles for the job, but this is a reasonable excuse for a new one.

The question becomes, do I stick with .30-06 (I think I already have 9 or 10), or do I go with something else like a .35 Whalen or 9.3x72 Mauser...

The hunt will likely be in late May or early June, so there is time if I decide to build rather than buy...

WOW that's really cool of your wife to do. Take some time figure out what you want and build it. Then you have two things to remember. We want pictures before during and after of the trophy. :D

We have talked about it for a while, but they recently changed some regulations for non-residents hunting with family members, and as of last week, it looked like it was a no-go. I had given up on the idea. But she took it on herself to research, call, and figure it all out. Kudos to the Alaska DFG, who she said were very helpful and supportive, above and beyond!

I had hopes of having a rug made, but at $200 per foot (seems to be the going rate), that might be out of reach if I shoot anything bigger than a cub (and I wouldn't do that, so no judgement)...

So a suggestion on a rifle. of your choices I would go with .35 Whelen and to get there I would

I would go down to Bi Mart and buy a Savage 111C in 30-06 (unless you like one of the other offerings in the same cartridge family .270 25-06) NOT A .308 the action of a model 11 is to short. The rifle comes with a detachable box magazine that holds 4 rds. And the Savage Acutrigger

remove the stock and barrel (you will need a Savage Barrel swapping kit they come with Go No-Go gauges and wrenches to remove the barrel

Order a ER SHAW .35 Whelen Barrel Blued in Std Mag contour cut (or ordered) to 21.75" with 11' target crown and rolled edge.

Order a Boyds Classic Walnut stock with CHECKERING PATTERN #2 (or which ever you like the best) PACHMAYR - SC100 DECELERATOR RECOIL PAD 690-012-168WB 1" brown w/insert Adjusting the pull to fit you. Black ebony fore end tip with Ivory diamond insert in bottom, Black pistol grip cap with Ivory diamond insert Or what ever styling you might like best from the offerings)

Williams hooded Fire Bead ramped front sight.
Williams FP-110TK rear peep sight

Or should you prefer a scope then I suggest Burris bases and Rings to fit the scope you chose. For Black Bear I would suggest something in the 2-7X 40mm range a lighted cross hair or Mil dot could be nice.

If it looks like I have thought about this its because this is most likely the next rifle I will Buy/Build. Looking at a Elk or Bear rifle. I'll go with the peep site for Bear and the Scope (I'll be using a Mueller Multishot 2-7x-32 that has a lighted dot retical like my other Mueller scopes) for Elk with Burris rings.

I like the idea I can do all the work myself from swapping the barrel to Bedding the action in the new stock and even trimming the pull to fit me. But then I have done this type of work before.

YMMV

That sounds like a exciting and fun hunt MountainBear.

As for a a rifle well...
How 'bout a Mauser 98 actioned rifle with a plain but stout walnut stock , barrel of 22 inches , ebony nose and grip caps on the stock , Pachmayr "Old English" recoil pad , three leaf express sights , and in .35 Whalen.
(although one like that in .30-06 would be nice as well.)
Wait ... I've just descried my dream rifle for stuff that hunts back ... :D

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to bring , buy or build MountainBear.
Andy

338 Winchester? 300 Weatherby?

First rifle I ever built is a .300 wby, so that might be considered...

So a suggestion on a rifle. of your choices I would go with .35 Whelen and to get there I would

I would go down to Bi Mart and buy a Savage 111C in 30-06 (unless you like one of the other offerings in the same cartridge family .270 25-06) NOT A .308 the action of a model 11 is to short. The rifle comes with a detachable box magazine that holds 4 rds. And the Savage Acutrigger

remove the stock and barrel (you will need a Savage Barrel swapping kit they come with Go No-Go gauges and wrenches to remove the barrel

Order a ER SHAW .35 Whelen Barrel Blued in Std Mag contour cut (or ordered) to 21.75" with 11' target crown and rolled edge.

Order a Boyds Classic Walnut stock with CHECKERING PATTERN #2 (or which ever you like the best) PACHMAYR - SC100 DECELERATOR RECOIL PAD 690-012-168WB 1" brown w/insert Adjusting the pull to fit you. Black ebony fore end tip with Ivory diamond insert in bottom, Black pistol grip cap with Ivory diamond insert Or what ever styling you might like best from the offerings)

Williams hooded Fire Bead ramped front sight.
Williams FP-110TK rear peep sight

Or should you prefer a scope then I suggest Burris bases and Rings to fit the scope you chose. For Black Bear I would suggest something in the 2-7X 40mm range a lighted cross hair or Mil dot could be nice.

If it looks like I have thought about this its because this is most likely the next rifle I will Buy/Build. Looking at a Elk or Bear rifle. I'll go with the peep site for Bear and the Scope (I'll be using a Mueller Multishot 2-7x-32 that has a lighted dot retical like my other Mueller scopes) for Elk with Burris rings.

I like the idea I can do all the work myself from swapping the barrel to Bedding the action in the new stock and even trimming the pull to fit me. But then I have done this type of work before.

YMMV

I thoroughly dislike Savage actions. I've tried to like them, owned at least half a dozen. I just can't get there.

I have a lathe, and the ability to thread, so I'm not limited there. If I were to use a modern action, I would likely go to the Howa. I've used them before and really like them. My .300 weatherby is built on a Howa 1500 action.

Andy's suggestion is likely closer to the reality. I still have several Mauser actions laying around. But I have used a few of the Shaw barrels and haven't had any issues. I might use one for this. I'm not stuck on those calibers, I'm just fond of nostalgia and those calibers fit the bill.

I like the compact scope idea. Haven't decided if I want to go with a 1.5-5 or a 2-7, but that's a good idea, thanks! It will likely have iron sights as well, just because it can and should.

I've also used Boyds stocks. Don't mind them, but I also have had okay luck with Richards microfit (odd, given their less than stellar rep), and I have several walnut blanks. I also considered bedding the rifle into a walnut stock and into a synthetic so I have options.

Thanks all for the ideas! I will keep you informed on what I decide to do...

I have a brown bear rug in my house already. An old one my father-in-law shot years ago.

Black bears are significantly easier and cheaper for a non-resident. A rug and some sausage sound good if I can afford it all...

I can hunt with a family member for a balck bear, I think I'd need a state registered guide for brown bear...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top