JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,
I've recently decided that I would really like to get an M1 Garand for my collection. Mostly, because I get the rifles to shoot them and I think it will be much easier to continue getting ammo for it instead of my Enfield and Kar98. Out of my small collection, my Kar is my least favorite. I really enjoy shooting the Enfield, but finding ammo for it has been problematic. I haven't spent much time researching Garands yet as this hasn't been my highest priority in my life. But I'd like to start soon. I'm looking for any advice on how to value M1 Garands and what my best avenues are for either selling my rifles, or doing a trade.

Sell then buy.

There are many books on the M1 Rifle. And much about everything on line.
And you could start studying up. But that's the dry way to learn gun stuff.
While others can obtain knowledge and apply it that way. I can not.
Maybe something to do with a short attention spa...................... Squirrel! :eek:

Anyways. I enjoy finding a particular gun [ Test subject]. And searching out all about it on the internet.
When you tap the computer. Or just want to go deeper. Buy an expensive book. ;)

The trip is more enjoyable that way. And you end up in the same place in the end.

If you are looking to reduce your inventory, or wanting to replace expenditures from the Garand, or it's the last space in the gun safe, I agree with @Medic! "Sell then buy".
On the other hand, you don't need the money or have any reservations, for a litany of reasons, I would Buy then sell.

Agreed - sell then buy. Trading is more of a pain than it's worth to me. The hard part is finding someone with the gun you want that is interested in the gun you have - and there are likely only a small number of folks that would have an interest in such a trade. Once you sell, then you can be left to sort through the WTS ads until you find the Garand you want.

And, if our new President would be so kind as to lift the import restrictions on the 10's of thousands of Garands languishing away overseas waiting to be reunited with us, then the CMP would likely eventually have tons of Garands available at some decent prices. For now, prices are a bit on the higher side.

CMP

Look them up on the web. And, join the forum pages there.

They may not be selling the M1s in the quantity or quality that they had in the past and ammo has been drying up. But.....shall I say it? You should have been here yesterday. Actually more like a couple of years ago.

Now that you're catching up to the curve. Remember this, for the next time.

Lesson to learn:

Buy it.
Stack it Deep.

I missed out on the K98s and SMLEs but due to the lack of ammo.....well, I'm not crying over it.
I figure that my Mosin Nagants will keep me happy for awhile longer. And, note that even the Mosin Nagant bandwagon was a slow start for me. Mostly due to lack of ammo. Yup, I can remember when Finnish Mosins could be had for not much money.

Shall I say it? The good ol' days.

$99 SKS
$0.10 a round 7.62x39 mm
etc....

Good luck.

Aloha, Mark

Some of my CMP purchases........

IHC (my 1st M1, a DCM purchase, modified for match shooting)
M1Garand002.jpg

Springfield
M1Garand004.jpg

HRA
002.jpg

Winchester
M1Winchester007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show