JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I decided to buy a production year 1915 model 1894 winchester lever gun after talking to a buddy about it because of how cheap it was.

Too the stores knowledge it has been rebarrelled(stamped with winchester proofmarks) and has had the original buttplate removed and the stock "repaired" with rawhide and bone. After I purchased it I took it home and fully disassembled it and inspected all aspects of the gun. I deemed it still functioning with no defects, or areas of concerns.

What are my options as to getting the stock repaired or replaced? Would a era correct stock/foregrip set devalue the gun? I'm not looking to turn around to sell it but would like this to be a functioning and decent looking rifle that has value. With the rebarrell stamped with winchester proof marks I would imagine that Winchester did the rebarrell, or is there a possibility of it being original?

1000002193.jpg 1000002195.jpg 1000002194.jpg 1000002197.jpg 1000002196.jpg

I would not sweat the barrel, I would find either a Butt plate or a complete but stock. its not going to be a collectable but is a survivor. Its a great old gun that is still a shooter after over a 110 years. Good Find! DR

The easiest fix would be to cover it up with a vintage looking slip on leather butt pad, while you're on the hunt for a replacement stock set.

That repair on the butt stock makes me wonder if it was done by a cowboy that was snowed in at a line shack out in the middle of nowhere.

I would have bought that Winchester, too!

You may find some help in this thread.

And I'm not thinkin this gun was rebarreled. I'll have to find my book on these and check it out.
There are reproduction buttplates available. This is/was a Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC), somebody just cut the ring stud off.
I think the added stuff could be removed and a correct buttplate screwed on.

And I'm not thinkin this gun was rebarreled. I'll have to find my book on these and check it out.
There are reproduction buttplates available. This is/was a Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC), somebody just cut the ring stud off.
I think the added stuff could be removed and a correct buttplate screwed on.
That would be appreciated! I read about an hour ago that the circle p proof mark means it was a mail order barrel, but if you got a book I would trust that more.

That would be appreciated! I read about an hour ago that the circle p proof mark means it was a mail order barrel, but if you got a book I would trust that more.
I need to back up a bit. I was incorrect in my previous statement about the barrel. I overlooked the glaringly obvious indicator.

Your gun us an 1894, but the barrel says Model 94. Yes, that barrel has been replaced by a later barrel. I believe the Model 94 name started in the mid 1920's.

Last Edited:
I believe the Model 94 name started in the mid 1920's.
Correct and it seems I remember once reading 1928 was the exact year.

Regardless I have seen many stocks for sale on ebay for early Winchesters - both fore, butt and sets and that would be MY first place to look. Heck you might get lucky and find one with a period correct crescent buttplate as well!

Either way you got a pretty good deal so a few bucks spent to 'clean it up' is acceptable!

W1.jpg

It looks to me (from what I can see) like the original cutout for the crescent steel butt plate is still intact. Just remove whatever bubba added and replace with an original plate. ????

-E-

1000002194.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews