JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a co-worker who's husband is in ordinance removal. He was on a call for possible explosive in the attic of someone's Grandfather who passed away. While there the people asked him to remove some "boxes of ammo" they did not want it around. Anyway, he has no interest in it but thought someone would, so I ended up with it. Its two decent sized boxes of bagged and labeled ammo and seem to range from pre Civil war to current stuff and EVERYTHING in between (A lot of 1800s stuff and WWI it looks like). My question is, does any of this have value to collectors and if so...where do I even start. Attached some random pics, just a small sample of all of it.

PXL_20230809_012713055.jpg PXL_20230809_022128310.jpg PXL_20230809_022100625.jpg PXL_20230809_022119780.jpg PXL_20230809_020710727.jpg

Some of those displayed are indeed paper cartridges. Others appear corroded and likely the powder is no longer reliable. A military collector will be interested in seeing what you have first hand.

Nice!

Much appears to be in pretty rough shape and I would imagine... to a collector... you're likely to get more out of the entire collection as a set over trying to piecemeal it out a few rounds here and there. The time, effort and individual delivery would likely eat up much of any value... although... there might be a spattering of some that may be of higher value.

The attic wasn't exactly the best choice as a storage option.

To get the most money out of it... another option might be to make up a shadowbox display case yourself to sell.

Personally.... I would go that route, but I would keep it. ;)

I have a co-worker who's husband is in ordinance removal. He was on a call for possible explosive in the attic of someone's Grandfather who passed away. While there the people asked him to remove some "boxes of ammo" they did not want it around. Anyway, he has no interest in it but thought someone would, so I ended up with it. Its two decent sized boxes of bagged and labeled ammo and seem to range from pre Civil war to current stuff and EVERYTHING in between (A lot of 1800s stuff and WWI it looks like). My question is, does any of this have value to collectors and if so...where do I even start. Attached some random pics, just a small sample of all of it.

View attachment 1467455 View attachment 1467456 View attachment 1467457 View attachment 1467458 View attachment 1467459
I would contact Wards Auction's in Dallas, OR. They have a single cartridges section in their auction listings to give you an idea: https://www.wardscollectibles.com/auction/A93/index.php

There are many cartridge collectors out there and what you have looks to be a goldmine! I am not in the cartridge collection world but I know it exists. You need to do further research on how to tap into the cartridge collector market. Or maybe someone on here will come a long and point you in the right direction.

There are many cartridge collectors out there and what you have looks to be a goldmine! I am not in the cartridge collection world but I know it exists. You need to do further research on how to tap into the cartridge collector market. Or maybe someone on here will come a long and point you in the right direction.
This would be ideal for sure. Im doing some research and reaching out to some different places. Ideally I would like to find a collector that would make me an offer for the lot. Id be happy with a low offer just to get them sold and if they could make some money in turn, win win!

That said, I will probably pick out a dozen or so interesting (to me) rounds and make a shadowbox. Conversation piece, haha.

Cartridge collector's show in Castle Rock, WA but their annual show is in March, quite a way off now until the next one. Their web site lists the honcho's name and phone number. They show up once a year at the WAC show, too. But I don't remember what month. As far south as it is from me, I've gone a couple of times. Lots of weird stuff just like your pictures.

Nice! I've been an amateur cartridge collector for the better part of four decades.

By "amateur" I just mean that I've never had the resources or time to really get into it or buy any particularly rare specimens, but I do have a lot of oddballs. In your photos I see mostly common rounds, with a few uncommon ones, but I'm not seeing anything particularly valuable, nothing that I don't have at least one of myself.

I'd be glad to help if you have any questions. Many of those at that cartridge collectors site are serious collectors who have a depth of knowledge far beyond myself, but I'm pretty good with the more common rounds like you have. If I was closer I'd probably make you an offer, but it's probably good that I'm not. I don't need any more of that kind of thing but it is hard for me to pass up cool old ammo. :)

Edit- the paper/foil wrapped Civil War round (Smith carbine?) is a particular one that I don't have. That one might have some value.
Also, when I say I don't see any of much value, I don't mean they're not worth anything; they just probably wouldn't excite serious collectors. The best value would probably be to a gun show vendor who would buy them fairly cheap and sell them individually to customers.

Ward's Auctions is always an option too, as mentioned in post #10. They're just down the road from me, and frankly I've occasionally considered gathering up most of my old odds and ends to see what they could do with it, but I'd hate to practically give them away, if it came to that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top