JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I have a tax Stamp for a sbr for 10.5 was wanting to add a 300 blackout in a 8.5 inch barrel I have been told by my ffl all I have to do is submit a letter that I want to add this new cal and length to my tax Stamp anyone do this or have a sample letter I can use to send this to atf to add what I need to add thanks in advanced:)

20161221_150331.jpg

I do not think a letter of permission to add different barrel lengths is necessary? This is one of those cases where US Code Law trumps BATFE suggestions or regulations.

The US SB Code law says barrel(s). You can run different barrel lengths on your RECEIVER papered SBR as long as the swap is considered not permanent in nature.

How long is not permanent is nature? Dunno. I am not sure anybody knows. US Code law says barrel(s). We have and run multiple length short barrels in our Ruger 10-22.

Also FWIW, your registered receiver SBR can be swapped out back and forth to a conventional rifle length barrel by just swapping upper AR15 half's.

What I was told. Respectfully.

PS: Reread your post. I need to learn how to read. You are changing caliber as well as the barrel length. Still think you do NOT need any special permission as long as the RECEIVER is the SBR papered part.

Your FFL has no idea what he's talking about.

You can change anything you want on that gun without needing to notify anyone. Well, aside from installing a happy switch!;)

If you make a "permanent" change, the ATF "recommends" that you notify them, but you are under absolutely no obligation to do so.

If you make a "permanent" change, the ATF "recommends" that you notify them

That, essentially, is my understanding of it too. If one keeps the parts (e.g., the barrel, an upper, etc.) to return it to the registered configuration, it isn't a permanent change. If it is permanent change, a letter updating the registry is requested. There is language to that effect on the current Form 1.

Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms
Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in Item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Item 4 is this section:

4TfHPnF.png

Granted, just because it is on the form doesn't mean it is in the regulations. On the other hand, a single page letter and a postage stamp is pretty easy-peasy for permanent changes.

Last Edited:
Requested. Not required as by US Code Law. Barrel(s). Respectfully, this is one of those areas where US Code Law does trump BATFE suggestions. I confirmed this with a knowledgeable Class 3 dealer.

You will find that there is a distinct difference between what the law says and what the BATFE suggests. The problem is they remain the 400 pound Gorilla. Be careful. We keep copies of the US Code Law.

We also keep copies of the tax stamps. The originals are in the bank safe deposit box. Our attorney has copies. We keep copies with the weapons when shooting. Also copies in the gun safe. Be safe.

Respectfully. All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. We also try to notify local law enforcement, (not always possible) before we shoot. We are lucky. Our local guys are all White Hats. Enjoy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top