JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking at either a TA44 or a TA31. Ive read the 44 is essentially a red dot and has much more forgiving eye relief. The 31 or even 33 has less eye relief forgiveness?

Looking for hands on experience on any ACOGs.

I've shot through a 31 years ago and I can't recall if I liked the eye relief or not. I did like the BC compensation as I was able to use it out to 450 that day on a 12x20" silhouette with ease.

Thanks,

Reno911

A lot of folks complain about the eye relief simply because they don't know a proper cheek weld. If you don't like your nose touching the ch, the 4xs will typically be in the way of your rear site. Their 3.5s are more forgiving.

I have a few 3.5x. Acog's. Eye relief not an issue if you set it up right. training days low ready to on target is instant. No time lag to acquire
Target always within my time requirements even at the 7 yard line

The complaints about eye relief are in regards to the TA31. The TA33 has a lot of eye relief, and some people say the eye relief of the TA33 is longer than it is listed on trijicon's website. That was my experience too.

The TA11 also has a good amount of eye relief.

I don't have any experience with ACOGs but my TA44 will be delivered on Tuesday. :)

From my research, like everyone else has already mentioned, the TA31 is the worst for eye relief. If I was to get a higher powered ACOG is would be the TA11.

I have a ta 45 and a ta 33. Both have very forgiving eye relief, the TA45 being almost like a red dot. The 4x that my buddy has and I have some time behind, has horrible eye relief. I think the 3.5x is supposed to have better eye relief than the 4x

Personally I'm a 4x guy, but if it was going on something with recoil the TA11 and TA33 are the bees knees.

That being said, the TA33 has a small FOV, THE TA31 has the biggest FOV.

I don't have any experience with ACOGs but my TA44 will be delivered on Tuesday. :)

From my research, like everyone else has already mentioned, the TA31 is the worst for eye relief. If I was to get a higher powered ACOG is would be the TA11.
Definitely report back on the 44. I'm really leaning this direction as I shoot well with red dots but would like some quality with a recent AR15 purchase.

I've got limited experience with ACOGs but the experience I have points me to them all the time over other options out there almost every time.

The only real issue you'll have with a ta31 is if you're shooting from weird awkward position's. Hence why no top competition shooter uses them and have all pretty much switch to some type of 1-6x variable optic.

Definitely report back on the 44. I'm really leaning this direction as I shoot well with red dots but would like some quality with a recent AR15 purchase.

I've got limited experience with ACOGs but the experience I have points me to them all the time over other options out there almost every time.

So far, so good with my TA44. I got the Primary Arms version with the ACSS reticle. Eye relief is not an issue. I think it is listed at 2.4" but you can realistically be 8" behind it and still see the reticle/use the reticle. The reticle is great but it is very small which is my only complaint. My old eyes have a hard time seeing the chevron as a chevron and not just another dot. Actually of the 5-6 people that have looked through my scope, only one was actually able to see the chevron. I realized part way through my shooting session yesterday that my reading glasses do help to see the reticle better. For sitting at the bench, trying to shoot groups the glasses are fine but shooting from a standing position with two eyes open, not so much. The reality is that this ACOG really isn't about shooting groups from a bench anyway. I can live with that. Just for fun though, here are my targets from yesterday.

First one is 50 yards, 10 shots with my reading glasses.
U5aXkk3HTr28z8pImdkyTA.jpg

And this one is 100 yards, 8 shots without my reading glasses.
RwVANY6eSDa7iex0M4ZIVA.jpg

Mine is mounted on a recent SBR build that is not exactly a budget build. I figure being an SBR, I will have this for the rest of my life so I wanted to get a high quality optic. I was thinking that it would probably get a Aimpoint T-2 but I think this is a better option. It is a little more expensive than an T-2 but it just happened that Primary Arms had them on sale last week for $50 off and if you look around on Youtube, you can generally find a promo link that will get you a free ADM quick disco mount. So for $850 I have an optic and a $70 mount. Depending on what mount you get for the T-2 you are going to be in the same ballpark.

Overall, I am very happy with the TA44. It is very light weight with great glass and the little bit of magnification is a definite plus over a normal red dot. Glad that @Trunkmonkey brought this little optic to my attention.

So far, so good with my TA44. I got the Primary Arms version with the ACSS reticle. Eye relief is not an issue. I think it is listed at 2.4" but you can realistically be 8" behind it and still see the reticle/use the reticle. The reticle is great but it is very small which is my only complaint. My old eyes have a hard time seeing the chevron as a chevron and not just another dot. Actually of the 5-6 people that have looked through my scope, only one was actually able to see the chevron. I realized part way through my shooting session yesterday that my reading glasses do help to see the reticle better. For sitting at the bench, trying to shoot groups the glasses are fine but shooting from a standing position with two eyes open, not so much. The reality is that this ACOG really isn't about shooting groups from a bench anyway. I can live with that. Just for fun though, here are my targets from yesterday.

First one is 50 yards, 10 shots with my reading glasses.
View attachment 551370

And this one is 100 yards, 8 shots without my reading glasses.
View attachment 551371

Mine is mounted on a recent SBR build that is not exactly a budget build. I figure being an SBR, I will have this for the rest of my life so I wanted to get a high quality optic. I was thinking that it would probably get a Aimpoint T-2 but I think this is a better option. It is a little more expensive than an T-2 but it just happened that Primary Arms had them on sale last week for $50 off and if you look around on Youtube, you can generally find a promo link that will get you a free ADM quick disco mount. So for $850 I have an optic and a $70 mount. Depending on what mount you get for the T-2 you are going to be in the same ballpark.

Overall, I am very happy with the TA44. It is very light weight with great glass and the little bit of magnification is a definite plus over a normal red dot. Glad that @Trunkmonkey brought this little optic to my attention.
Thank you for the update. I looked at the ACSS version myself, but I think I'd go for a less complicated reticle version as it sounds to me that the size doesn't allow for proper use of its benefits.

Then again. Maybe it's best to have and not be able to use well, vs not having?

I still think it is worth having. I haven't tried using the lower dots at distance yet but they are easy enough to see and should be usable once you have matched your ammo/ballistics to them. The horseshoe is also nice. If you are shooting up close or bigger targets, just get it in the horseshoe and you are going to hit it.

I just turned 38, and I see red dots as an uneven cluster of 3 dots. Not terrible and definitely usable, but I see the ta44 acss Chevron decently well. My left eye has better vision than my right, and the Chevron is Crystal clear that way, but it is my off hand and I only shoot that way as a backup. The reticle has the ability to range an average size human standing, or shoulder to shoulder, as well as size of the head. Size of the head is not brought up much, but ear to ear the Chevron ranges the head at 300, next dot 400, last for 500. The horseshoe is in-between the walking speed of a man with weapon, and running speed for movers 300 and in. It's probably the most simple version of the acss available and most uncluttered. I swear this sounds like a commercial, but I am in no way associated with any company and am just a regular hvac technician Joe who likes to shoot. I've read reviews from some people who purchased the acss version and promptly sold it in favor of the regular doughnut of death reticle. It definitely isn't the optic or reticle for everyone, but I'm glad I took a chance on one.

Oh and one of my other favorite acogs is the ta50 which is three power but just a tiny bit bigger than the ta44. It has similar eye relief which is very generous. Multiple caliber reticles available and mine is in 7.62x39 mounted on a Vepr. I'm not sure why this model isn't more well known, but look it up if you want more magnification, small footprint, and great eye relief. They have a very similar reticle to a ta31. No acss available

I shot mine some more today and still think I made the right choice. What I do need to do is get some shooting style glasses with skinny frames that are 1.5x like my reading glasses. I used my reading glasses again today and the chevron showed up pretty good.

I'm 47 and my eyes have been perfect for all my life until about 4 years ago. Now I need reading glasses to have any chance of reading anything up close. The funny thing is that I can leave my reading glasses on and drive. Doesn't really bother me unless I am looking side ways off the side of the glasses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top