JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a beginner to scopes and rifles in general, I'm looking for some tips from you veteran shooters. I just got a Ruger 10/22 and need a decent scope on it which I have not bought yet. It's for plinking and practicing for my young kids ages 11-9 years old. I'm looking for 50-100 yards or so in the price range between $100-$200.

From a recent thread, I'm looking at something like the Primary Arms Classic Series 6X32mmACSS 22LR or the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7X32 Rimfire. If anyone else has a good recommendation, please let me know.

The other questions is about eye relief. I used to have a Simmons 3X9X33 22 Mag scope. Knowing nothing about scopes, I was unable to instruct my young kids on how to best look through the scope. They had trouble seeing beyond the eye relief black portion blocking the scope despite moving their heads around the scope.

Is a solution to this some technique on some YouTube video that I have yet to find or is there some more expensive scope that eliminates much of the eye relief problem? Thanks everyone in advance for all your answers.

It's tricky because there's so many variables involved. Different shooters can also experience different things on the same rifle based on their own vision.

The scope could be mounted too far forward or back. The length of pull on the stock could be too short or too long for the shooter. The scope itself can just have a very narrow eyebox.

Also keep in mind with most variable optics, the eye relief will change at different magnification levels.

This is one reason it's typically advised to introduce new shooters to iron sights first.

Get the Vortex scope. Their lifetime, no questions asked warranty means that if you simply don't like it you can return it for credit towards a different model or a refund.

In another thread I recommend the BSA "Sweet" series. They are very cost effect and work well for me. I have a couple of the 3x9's and I am happy with them but I have a 2x7 on my most used .22.

Post #2 really hits on any thoughts I also had.

Last Edited:
This might be a good occasion for irons first.
If you do go with a scope, it simply may not fit all the kids the same way. My sons used to always "crawl " the stock with a scoped rifle. When they were 8 or 9 years old anyway.

Bench , shooting table, or at least a bipod will help establish a good shooting position as well.
Offhand with a scope is difficult.

It may come down to their size and cheek weld. Typically if you see black around the field of view the scope is too far away from your face. Might be a good candidate for a red dot.

When you set up the scope first find their eye position above the stock when they are in position. Then set the scope front to back so the optimum eye relief matches. To find the optimum eye relief, shine a flashlight into the objective and move a price of paper back and forth behind the eye piece. You will see where it is pretty easy.

As a newbie, you can find pretty good scopes with a 200 dollar budget. Leopold makes a 2x7 rimfire specific scope that will be great for plinking and small game hunting. Just my opinion but the 22 lr is most at home on less that 50 yd. targets. Not that it won't reach out that far, but somewhere around 70 yds. 22lr fall below the sonic level. If you want to reach out that far try sub sonic ammo. But don't be surprised if it won't work the action. [ may not have enough power.] Or try Federal Auto Match ammo [ just enough power to work the action and only slightly over sub sonic.] From my guns I get a great group at 70 yds, and a shotgun pattern at 80 yds using ammo at any speed over 1300 fps.
Your kids will be happy shooting targets at 10 ,25, and 50 yds. it would be great for learning to shoot a rifle! I have been shooting 22 rifles for way over 50 years and still enjoy it! Good Luck DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top