JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figured out I was cross eye dominate a few years ago and for pistols have that worked out.

I'm swapping scope bases and after leveling the scope I find the cross hair canted about 30 deg.
A while ago I noticed this after leveling the scope for the first time and just loosened and reset it by eye so the cross hair was straight.
Now that I think about it my other one did the same thing and I thought it had moved also.

The scope is a 1x8 and on 1x with both eyes open it's straight, close my left eye and it's canted.
I swap shoulders and focus with my left and it's straight, both eyes open and it's straight and I can see it much sharper with both eyes open vs the right side.

Weird how it only does it sometimes, most likely due to age and being tired and such.
I've never noticed it till now or it's just getting worse.
I tried another scope and mount, a 1x6 and got the same results.

On the upside my scopes aren't broken like I thought at first, sorta like when I discovered that the red dot wasn't broken, I just had astigmatism.
Which is why I went with a scope instead, no funky dot and some much needed magnification. I just have to get some ambi controls now and become a lefty with a rifle.

That's what had me goofed up and took me a bit to sink in.

When the cross hair was turned to look level with my right eye it was obviously out of whack and the level was reading 30 deg.

When zeroed to the rail it looks to be canted 30 deg when focusing with my right eye but not my left.
I didn't try to see what it looked like with my left eye that way.
I have a new mount for my other one showing up tomorrow and will see what it does.

I did notice when it was level and looked canted, that when my right eye was at the end of the stock it appeared level and the closer I got to the proper eye relief the more it canted.

It doesn't do that when shouldered left side so that's what I'll work on.
For pistols I kinda tuck my chin into my right shoulder to be able to focus with my left eye when shooting strong side.

The scope doesn't move just because you close one eye or the other. I'm cross dominant as well and shoot offhand left handed, prone right handed. I zero the scope to whatever eye I'll be shooting in most circumstances. I'd be very unconcerned for the most part

Maybe on higher power scopes, shoot with one eye closed instead of both open? I know that defeats the purpose of a 1x or a 1x-8x, but I can't see w/o at least a 12x anyway, so there's that. I guess it depends on how you plan on using the rifle. But if it were me, I'd switch to using the eye on whatever side I shoot with. Left w left hand, right eye with right hand. And leave the other eye closed. It's not optimal for close in work or moving game, but it might work.

With it on the right shoulder using my right eye.
On 1x with my left eye closed it's canted.
Both eyes open and it's straight but kinda fuzzy and floats for a second.

When shouldered on the left the Cross hair is straight, one eye or both eyes and I can see it much better with both eyes open on 1x

I didn't think to see what it did under full magnification but will check that too.
I normally use them with both eyes open on 1x and close one with magnification.

Probably much ado about nothing but just seems odd to me.

I think it's all about what you did, which eye you used, which shoulder you hoisted the rifle on, when you setup the scope. If it's not that, you must need a trip to the eye doc. ;);)

Sorry if I'm being dense about this... I can't "picture" the problem.

My reticle.
K9OF251l.jpg

When the scope is level using my right eye only it is counterclockwise 30 deg.
It will straighten out if I roll the rifle over and point the ejection port at the ground.
I can see the very end of the handguard rail and it appears straight but the reticle is canted.

The effect doesn't happen when I swap shoulders.
I just checked and it does it all throughout the magnification range too.

I am past due for glasses and will bring it up when I get in.

So being cross dominant myself, trying to understand what you are seeing and offer some possible thoughts. You are seeing the reticle 30 degrees off, but it is actually straight, correct? Otherwise the rifle is massively rotated. How is your head position? The human eye / brain combination is not made to look at things while tilting the head. If your head is leaning over this can create an odd perception.

I'm going with a vision issue and good time for a check up. You might call around and see if you can find one that works with shooters. They might not specialize in shooters but some at least have a clue. Good luck with your quest.

I am not "cross eye dominant", but I do wear glasses that correct near nearsightedness and astigmatism. Any scope that I mount while wearing my glasses is perfectly level, but with my glasses off the reticle noticeably cants to the left (I shoot right handed).

Don't rely on your eye to set your crosshairs, align the vertical line of the reticle with a plumb bob. Confirm it is plumb, level and tight, if it is still doing it, check your stance and hold. Both eyes should be open.

The scope is supposed to be mounted square to the action. If it appears canted it's due to the rifle not being held perfectly upright.

I have a friend who is cross eye dominant. He shoots a scoped rifle right handed, but using his left eye. His head is so contorted to get his eye behind the scope I'd be surprised if he wasn't canting the rifle too. Not a big deal until the range starts increasing.

Don't rely on your eye to set your crosshairs, align the vertical line of the reticle with a plumb bob. Confirm it is plumb, level and tight, if it is still doing it, check your stance and hold. Both eyes should be open.

Thanks.
I'm doing this before I do anything else, just got in a Swampfox 1.6" mount and I'll set it up that way.
Looks easy enough.

That worked slick.
With the receiver leveled I dialed it in then checked the level against the turret cap and they were 6 deg off on that one.
I'll get the other dialed in then take them to work tomorrow and set up the line at 100 yds and see how it looks.

Still looks canted a bit but I'm not going to obsess about it to much and just go shoot them and see how I do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top