JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the ta44 I can literally hold it out like a pistol as far away as possible, and still see the reticle. My understand is this is good eye relief. Eye box is good for how small the optic is meaning if I move my head off center of the optic, I can see the reticle at the edge of the glass. Being that it's so small, that's not too far off center, though say compared to an Eotech with a bigger window that would allow you to see it even further off center.

I own a 3x24 red crosshair, a 3x30 amber chevron, a 3.5x35 green horseshoe, and a 4x32 red chevron.

Honestly, my 3x24 has an annoyingly small eye relief range (eye box?). Same issue with the 3x30, but much less so. I don't notice the eye box with the others honestly. But that's what adjustable buttstocks are for. All my rifles are set up comfortably for me. I notice when I pass them off to friends sometimes they need to adjust the length of pull for themselves. The clarity is so amazing in all of them though, no one ever really complains about it.

I feel I get tunnel vision with the 3x24 & 3x30, so I don't much care for either of them. I would recommend against any 3x power ACOG. It's also just not enough zoom to ID small targets, but enough zoom to mess up quick close range shots. The 3.5x gives a generous field of view. 4x is the overall best for me for seeing steel targets during 3-gun competitions (yes, that 0.5x increase in zoom is noticeable, but then again maybe the horseshoe reticle just takes up so much real estate in the glass I feel I can't ID small targets as quickly, nor get off the precision shots), and it still has a decent field of view. Of all the colors, I like amber the best. Amber is the easiest color to pick up, followed by green. I like red the least, it's hard to see in the dark. Of all the reticles, I prefer crosshairs. Horseshoe is my least favorite for reasons mentioned above.

If I buy any more ACOGs (I probably will), it would 4x amber reticle, preferably crosshair. Go figure, I bought 4 ACOGs just to figure out the military already chose the best one in the TA01-NSN.

FWIW this is my experience, and is limited to only these 4 scopes. None of my friends are Gucci enough to spring for an ACOG so I have no experience with any others.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top