JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A little more information... It looks like the owner of the Molalla Ace also owns seven other Ace stores:

It might be the corporate policy of the franchisee? Can anyone in these other cities tell us if their local Ace has "No Guns Allowed" signs?

I left town in May and was gone for the duration of the summer, and when I came back in September and went into Ace I noticed two things:

1. The "No Guns Allowed" sign
2. There are a lot more women working there than there were in the Spring

I did a little research and the store manager listed on the Ace website is a female. I'm not saying that the female management is slowly feminizing my local hardware store.... No, wait. That is what I'm saying. I'd be curious to know who the owner of the store is.

I still shop there, and I'm certainly not going to stop carrying when I go in. The ladies at the store seem to like me well enough, and they really like my dog when I take her in. I doubt anyone will look hard enough to notice my gun.

But..but..that would be gender discrimination. That cannot possibly exist.....yeah right. I have no problem with female management. My wife was an executive level administrator at a large state ran health care institution for 17 years. She quit and became manager of our plant nursery operation, which is dominated by women. She was a project manager and comptroller for our construction business. She now is a retail store manager for a non profit and has to endure not so subtle gender discrimination on a daily basis by older white guys who have problems with strong women, who are more competent that they are.

Her upcoming retirement cannot come too soon right now. I guess it goes both ways. And as far as Ace employees on the floor goes, they are probably $ 12 an hour max so its not like a career path or something.

Obviously someone who is anti-gun making excuses by blaming someone else for the policy.

So now two reasons to not shop at that particular store:

1) Anti-gun
2) Liars

I generally don't boycott most businesses that are anti-gun as it is their right, but if they then lie about it or try to blame someone else, that gives me pause.

Then there are the gun stores that are anti-gun; like Dicks Sporting Goods, that I consider to be a traitor and I won't even step foot inside. Too many other stores that I could shop at and with better prices and merchandise.

FWIW, I tracked down the parent company that owns all these Ace stores (and all the Hi-School Pharmacy stores as near as I can tell) and sent them a message asking about the policy. I'll let you all know if/when I get a reply.

who gives a sh!t? those signs carry no weight. its OUR right to carry a gun. the most they can do is trespass you. remember, concealed means concealed.

just dont go into any building with federal employees while carrying

If I had a need to go in, I would go in, carrying. I don't honor those signs - I am responsible for my own safety and they are not providing for it, so I will make that decision. They'll never know I have it, unless I have to use it to defend my life, in which case, they're welcome to trespass me from future visits - at least I had the chance to try and defend my life as well as the possible lives of my family, maybe even some others.

I don't need to be hassled and my permit says, "Concealed". I think the only time I have ever been noticed was by a young lady at the next table when my vest rode up. I saw her looking at me and I just smiled at her as I adjusted my vest and we both went back to our meals.;) But then, I'm just an old bald headed white guy.:rolleyes:

I emailed the head office of Hi-School Pharmacy (the Franchisee of the Molalla Ace Hardware) and received the following reply from the store manager:

Modeler,

Thank you so much for your inquiry on this sign posted at Molalla Ace Hardware. This sign was put in place when several people began coming in to the store with open carry. This sign in no way effects those of us who have been through the classes and actually know how to carry and use a handgun correctly.

There are lots of customers and families that are exteremly afraid when they see someone with a gun on them that are not in uniform. My thought on this is if they can't see it they do not know that you or I carry.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Debbie Drake Manager

Molalla Ace Hardware

I emailed the head office of Hi-School Pharmacy (the Franchisee of the Molalla Ace Hardware) and received the following reply from the store manager:

Modeler,

Thank you so much for your inquiry on this sign posted at Molalla Ace Hardware. This sign was put in place when several people began coming in to the store with open carry. This sign in no way effects those of us who have been through the classes and actually know how to carry and use a handgun correctly.

There are lots of customers and families that are exteremly afraid when they see someone with a gun on them that are not in uniform. My thought on this is if they can't see it they do not know that you or I carry.

Debbie Drake Manager

Molalla Ace Hardware
Thanks modeler! I sent an email to Ace corporate and have not got a reply yet.
I will need to talk to a person at Molalla Ace about what he told me . ( an old guy) I don't think the info about open carry was transmitted to the employees and as I carry concealed I will ignore their sign.

Modeler,

Debbie Drake Manager

Molalla Ace Hardware

So, the implication is if you open carry, you don't know how to use a handgun 'correctly'? WTF? What does the method of carry have anything to do with the competence of the person carrying. At least be honest and simply say you don't have the guts to stand up to whiny POS's that can't handle the sight of a gun and tell them you simply support their right to carry.

News flash - people who open carry a pistol/revolver in a holster are NOT the ones that shoot places up. Good grief.

So, the implication is if you open carry, you don't know how to use a handgun 'correctly'? WTF? What does the method of carry have anything to do with the competence of the person carrying. At least be honest and simply say you don't have the guts to stand up to whiny POS's that can't handle the sight of a gun and tell them you simply support their right to carry.

News flash - people who open carry a pistol/revolver in a holster are NOT the ones that shoot places up. Good grief.

Meh...

Kinda makes sense from a business standpoint. It's a business, some customers are afraid of just seeing a gun. Probably just makes it easier on staff rather than having to stop what they're doing and console the sheep that everything is fine and they have a safe space for them over by the paper towels...

Meh...

Kinda makes sense from a business standpoint. It's a business, some customers are afraid of just seeing a gun. Probably just makes it easier on staff rather than having to stop what they're doing and console the sheep that everything is fine and they have a safe space for them over by the paper towels...

I agree they have the right - but don't try to cloak your disdain for folks that carry under the guise of 'training' - that's the B.S. part of her response. Open carry vs concealed carry is exactly ZERO measure of training or capability when it comes to guns. All I ask is that they be honest about it, don't try to hide behind 'training' - just say you're too weak to stand up for those rights, so you choose not to let people exercise them in your store, which is your right to do so. I'd appreciate that honesty more than trying to hide behind something else.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top