JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not like my franklin digital scale. It's hard to add one tenth. It will stay the same weight and then jumps by two or three tenths. I use my beam scale with a trickler to get it perfect. I will throw the charge on the digital every once in a while and they match up.

I probably shouldn't be so anal about it but that's the way do it. Takes allot longer than just using the thrown charge. I got hooked on shooting tiny little groups and few years ago. Probably a waste of time but in my mind it makes a differance.
Ditto. I'm the same way. Reality be damned (even though it might actually matter for extreme long range).;)

I started with a Lyman very similar to the OP's and sold it when I got a digital scale and thought I'd never use it again.
Later I received an Ohaus 10-0-5 and an RCBS 1010 like the OP's. Both seemed similar in quality, which was quite a step up from the Lyman. I kept the Ohaus and use it nearly exclusively for weighing charges. I have faith in it's consistency. The digital scale is now used for other duties.

Check weights are a great idea, but make sure you're getting check weights instead of counterbalance weights as they are not always the same.

I bought my 10-10 in 1978.

It's in use every time I reload, mainly as a one-in-ten check for the digital scale.

Let's not overlook, folks, that one tenth of a grain is 1/70,000th of a pound, or 0.00625 oz.

That's has about the same weight a exactly half of a politician's promise.

If you want your scale to be accurate to .2 grams, shouldn't your weight be less that half of that? Why throw in .1 gram error right off the bat?

I don't know what you're loading for but "Grams"? :eek: :eek:. :p Yeah, I know. I look at the time on posts. After dinner, tired from a hard day at the office/work/a cocktail/beer or two. All of the above maybe? Yep.

But seriously folks....I can't bring myself to trust an electronic device over my own eyes and experience looking at those two lines when they match up. The talk of spraying anti static around to help the scale be accurate just sounds funny to me. Maybe an incantation too? :s0140: That is just my personal preference at this point. I'm fairly new to the hobby, Dec 2011. I use an RCBS 5-0-5. I'm a single stage loader and once I get my load weight stabilized I check every 10th-15th drop. I know that when it's warm in the house even a small fan on the computer desk BEHIND me moving air in the room will upset the scale enough that I won't use a fan while I load.

After I had cataract surgery they just aren't anywhere near what they were 20 years ago.

That goes for a LOT of things these day, doesn't it Jimbo? :rolleyes: :)

@Caveman Jim , I have spare check weights and also an RCBS Digital that I haven't used in ~5 years. I can ship them up to you to use.
I think your eyes will really like the digital....
PM me your addy please, I have other packages to send out today, so will be going to the Post Office this afternoon.

that one tenth of a grain is 1/70,000th of a pound, or 0.00625 oz.
Or 0.0065 gram.....

Last Edited:
I bought my 10-10 in 1978.

It's in use every time I reload, mainly as a one-in-ten check for the digital scale.

Let's not overlook, folks, that one tenth of a grain is 1/70,000th of a pound, or 0.00625 oz.

That's has about the same weight a exactly half of a politician's promise.

:s0153: Um, 7000 grains per pound last I heard or 1 grain = 0.00228571 oz.
Don't know where your numbers are coming from.

New math? :s0001:

edit: It's the electronic scales fault that I overlooked the "one tenth" part. My bad. :oops:

Last Edited:
I don't know what you're loading for but "Grams"? :eek: :eek:. :p Yeah, I know. I look at the time on posts. After dinner, tired from a hard day at the office/work/a cocktail/beer or two. All of the above maybe? Yep.

But seriously folks....I can't bring myself to trust an electronic device over my own eyes and experience looking at those two lines when they match up. The talk of spraying anti static around to help the scale be accurate just sounds funny to me. Maybe an incantation too? :s0140: That is just my personal preference at this point. I'm fairly new to the hobby, Dec 2011. I use an RCBS 5-0-5. I'm a single stage loader and once I get my load weight stabilized I check every 10th-15th drop. I know that when it's warm in the house even a small fan on the computer desk BEHIND me moving air in the room will upset the scale enough that I won't use a fan while I load.

That goes for a LOT of things these day, doesn't it Jimbo? :rolleyes: :)

Yeah, you got that right... :s0058::s0161:, screw it I'm a gonna go :s0071:.
I guess that statement will be showing up in the quotes taken out of context by other members who are overbearingly oppressive in a kind way....:p:p:p

Some years ago, probably in a reloading book (probably not a manual, but one of the DBI published books) on the proper way to set and use a beam scale properly as the gun writer had seen dozens, if not hundreds, of scales set up incorrectly and giving the wrong weights. You might look to see if there is anything on the net (I'm sure there is, not sure how right it is) on how to set them up.

Some years ago, probably in a reloading book (probably not a manual, but one of the DBI published books) on the proper way to set and use a beam scale properly as the gun writer had seen dozens, if not hundreds, of scales set up incorrectly and giving the wrong weights. You might look to see if there is anything on the net (I'm sure there is, not sure how right it is) on how to set them up.

Wut?...I set the 5-0-5 up an a hard surfaced tale. Turn the leg/foot up or down until it's centered where I like it for viewing. Zero it and get to adjusting the uniflow for the weight I need. What else is there? I do keep the scale covered with a clean shop rag, and sitting just a foot or so behind where I use it, when not in use. I also lift the beam of gently and blow any dust away that may have accumulated.

Of course, I'm sure some people could figure out how to use the scale wrong? o_O But I kind of think the folks that take on hand loading would tend to have more common sense than run o' the mill dumb humans.

I had a Lee scale (Run Away!) when I first started, changed to a Lyman (rarely got a consistent weight even when reweighing the same powder pan, and finally settled on an RCBS 505 for all my pistol reloading. It's quite robustly built, easy to level, and has given me great consistency the past four years or so. I agree with getting a set of check weights, though. They're not cheap but they more than pay for themselves in terms or you being confident that your measurement results are accurate. YMMV, however. Good luck!

I treat weights as figures of merit, since a given volume of powder will vary according to humidity (I presume). Accordingly, I develop loads using indicated weights to ensure I'm getting close, but I keep precise track of the Uniflow powder measure settings. Once I get a pet load dialed in for accuracy and velocity, I repeat the volume, and use the weight displayed on my electronic scale merely for a sanity check. - CW

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews