JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well maybe not a tale but how about a tell...

I've been using a Lyman D-7 scale for the last four years and while I believe I had it set up correctly I just do not trust it. When I say do not trust it is an afterthought when I recently came across an RCBS 1010. When I got it set up, adjusted and tested I tried it out with my 223 load in my Lee powder throw that was supposedly set at 23g IMR 3031.... we'll it weren't!!! It was actually 23.4g (if the RCBS1010 is right) ....

So in all of your infinite wisdom, which one do you think is the best, should I keep one as a back up or scrap em both and get another of better quality?

As always, thanks in advance. ;)

26EFF41F-3ED9-4783-84F3-6E503E4A9BAD.jpeg

0BC4C49D-73C1-4E11-9A7F-85707D920219.jpeg

I've been doing a lot of reading on this lately. Interesting you bring it up. I'd say the balance beam is going to be more trustworthy as long as it's clean and properly maintained. Last night I referenced between my Hornady lock and load auto-dispenser scale, Gempro and Ohaus scale. I was glad when the two digital scales were in agreement with each other.

Use check weights or known value bullets to see where a true reading is obtained. On RCBS there is an adjustment wheel leg on one end to zero the scale. By moving the base with the adjustment wheel, it changes the position of the beam in relation to the graduation marks.

Years ago, Pacific reloading used to supply a little tin of weights with each scale. The scale design was such that you needed the weights as counterbalance to the amount of powder being weighed. So the scale was more difficult to use, but in later years the weights came to be used as check weights for other scales. All they are is little aluminum flats with the grain weight stamped into them. I've kept a set of these. You can sometimes find them in junk bins at the gun show.

When I bought a cheapie digital scale, it came with one test weight. Honestly, I don't use my beam scale any longer, the digital has completely supplanted it. Yes, the digital will flutter around about one tenth of a grain but I don't worry about a variation of that negligible size. Some people will chase that one tenth, blaming static electricity and so on, going to some lengths to resolve it. I don't bother.

If you buy test weights, make sure that they are standardized and calibrated by NIST or other known group. Don't just buy any old weights sold by Harbor Freight. Pay the extra money.

I do not like my franklin digital scale. It's hard to add one tenth. It will stay the same weight and then jumps by two or three tenths. I use my beam scale with a trickler to get it perfect. I will throw the charge on the digital every once in a while and they match up.

I probably shouldn't be so anal about it but that's the way do it. Takes allot longer than just using the thrown charge. I got hooked on shooting tiny little groups and few years ago. Probably a waste of time but in my mind it makes a differance.

I do not like my franklin digital scale. It's hard to add one tenth. It will stay the same weight and then jumps by two or three tenths. I use my beam scale with a trickler to get it perfect. I will throw the charge on the digital every once in a while and they match up.

I probably shouldn't be so anal about it but that's the way do it. Takes allot longer than just using the thrown charge. I got hooked on shooting tiny little groups and few years ago. Probably a waste of time but in my mind it makes a differance.
Try anti static spray or liquid and place it on an anti static mat. It will keep it from jumping around. Take it from a 7 year Analytical Chemist. We were always fighting static electricity. Use the anti static on your scale pan, support, feet and pad and dry it off after a while.

I'm not going for the"EXACT" weight as the benchrest shooters do. I like close enough.:D
It is not that much more to be sure that the weights have been inspected. Cheap out at your peril;)

If you want your scale to be accurate to .2 grams, shouldn't your weight be less that half of that? Why throw in .1 gram error right off the bat?

I recently made the same kind of switch from an RCBS 505 to an Ohaus 10-10 (same as RCBS but tan colored). I particularly like the way that it settles much faster than the 505. One thing that I did do though was level the scale to my bench then adjusted the amount of "BB's" in the pan holder until it was right at zero.

Well maybe not a tale but how about a tell...

I've been using a Lyman D-7 scale for the last four years and while I believe I had it set up correctly I just do not trust it. When I say do not trust it is an afterthought when I recently came across an RCBS 1010. When I got it set up, adjusted and tested I tried it out with my 223 load in my Lee powder throw that was supposedly set at 23g IMR 3031.... we'll it weren't!!! It was actually 23.4g (if the RCBS1010 is right) ....

So in all of your infinite wisdom, which one do you think is the best, should I keep one as a back up or scrap em both and get another of better quality?

As always, thanks in advance. ;)

View attachment 630509

View attachment 630510
It sounds like you need to invest in some check weights. Also, are both of the scales properly zeroed?

My digital is never turned off.
I check it but I have not had any accuracy issues with the ammo, so I'm good.

I'd like to get a good, good scale but it's not worth it for what I'm doing.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews