JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

So I've recently moved and need to change the address on my driver's license and my CHL.

I have a couple questions regarding this process:

1) If I submit my application for a change of address and haven't received my new licenses back yet, can I still carry until I receive it?

2) If I receive my driver's license first, can I carry until my new CHL comes in despite the CHL and driver's license having two different addresses?

If no to either of these, are there any ways I can carry during this time period legally?

I'm from Oregon if it helps.

Thanks.

Not sure if this helps but when I went to renew my non-resident CHL they took my old one (still valid) and gave me a letter to carry till my new license was delivered.

When I renewed last, the sheriffs office took the old and gave me a temporary permit on paper, two weeks later the new one came in the mail.
I don't recall if they asked for proof of my new address at the time.
With a new license, and the temp paper, you should be good to go.

I am not a lawyer, please take with a grain of salt, and perhaps call the local sheriffs office for confirmation.

Thanks for the responses.

I can't find anywhere in the law nor on any of the websites from various counties where it gives a deadline that the change of address is required by. Can anybody shed some light on this?

I've applied for change of address with Washington County several months ago. First requirement was that I had to update the address with the DMV - they wanted to see updated DL or change of address sticker. Second, the lady at the CHL department said that I can use my old CHL until the replacement arrives - they didn't take it.

Here is the link (change of address info on the bottom) : Concealed Handguns no mention of the deadline though.

Forgot to mention - that was within the county.

Yeah, moving to a different county may be a different process... One thing is for sure though, I'll NEVER set up residence in Multnomuh County as long as they have that "temporary" county income tax they set up years ago... I escaped a $1,500 tax bill from them by the skin of my teeth the first year that took effect by moving in October and changing my address on my ODL..... HA HA!

You could call your issuing department. I live in Washington State and it is NOT required to change the address on my CPL. I moved from my issuing county to another one and they said to wait until I renew to change address. Not the same state but info non the less.

I recently moved, and when changing my app, the lady told me it is more of a consistency issue. Not a huge deal, when they run you DL they will find out all about you and your address. Yes I assume some LEO could jump up and down about inconsistency, but if you have submitted it, there should not be huge issue.

this was WA county, so your mileage may very.

I had a change of address on a Washington Co. CHL and I had my new address on my ODL and had my papers filled, paid the fee of $15 and went to the office with my receipt. They printed me a new card and I was out the door. From what I understand, I have to have a CHL on me when I carry. I can't CC without the license on me and I don't know how much the cop who deals with you will like that.

Yes Biggie, you need your licenses with you, its kind of like driving a car w/o your license...

S'true dat. If you are found CC-ing w/o your CHL in hand, you are automatically considered illegally carrying a CW... even IF you have one issued and its sitting in your key/wallet drawer by the front door in your house... your CHL MUST, MUST, MUST be with you when you CC off your own property, PERIOD. (I think that sucks, however)

S'true dat. If you are found CC-ing w/o your CHL in hand, you are automatically considered illegally carrying a CW... even IF you have one issued and its sitting in your key/wallet drawer by the front door in your house... your CHL MUST, MUST, MUST be with you when you CC off your own property, PERIOD. (I think that sucks, however)

Going back to another thread we had here recently, in some cases CHL might be needed even on your own property ;)

serious..... BS what are u doing on my property???? I thought your property was your domain.... I gues not anymore

There was a problem with the letter of the law. Based on how it's written, there is a chance that properties that don't fall into categories of home and place business would not be exempted.

Concealed carry is prohibited here :

166.250. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

then there is an exemption for home and place of business :

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

And I don't see how would it exempt ANY PRIVATE PROPERTY, such as bare land, or farm land, or forest, or whatever where no residence or place of business can be claimed.

Yeah, moving to a different county may be a different process... One thing is for sure though, I'll NEVER set up residence in Multnomuh County as long as they have that "temporary" county income tax they set up years ago... I escaped a $1,500 tax bill from them by the skin of my teeth the first year that took effect by moving in October and changing my address on my ODL..... HA HA!

You talking about the tax that expired in 2006?

You talking about the tax that expired in 2006?

Hmmm... I was under the impression it was "renewed"... Good dor Mult. Co. residents if its gone, but I wasn't too jazzed at the peospect of a $1,500 tax bill (that year) on top of what Federal & State already jack from me.

That tax was indeed temporary. I do my Dad's taxes. I'm pretty sure it was just that one year he got dinged. He still hates the tax situation in Multnomah county. Considerably higher property taxes that support the police & firefighters over generous (his opinion) retirement and disability costs.

One major reason for "Constitutional Carry" which many states have implemented--most recently Arizona, I believe. These states (except for Vermont and Alaska, I think) have a CCW permit process, but by the very nature of being a US citizen, these states allow concealed carry without ANY permit.

This structure totally fixes all of the weird shoulder periods we encounter merely by moving from county to county or even between states.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top