JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S'true dat. If you are found CC-ing w/o your CHL in hand, you are automatically considered illegally carrying a CW... even IF you have one issued and its sitting in your key/wallet drawer by the front door in your house... your CHL MUST, MUST, MUST be with you when you CC off your own property, PERIOD. (I think that sucks, however)

I can find nothing in the Oregon Laws that require you to actually carry your CC with you. All of the laws seem to be of the form:

1) [Some activity is illegal, like carrying a concealed weapon]
2) [A huge list of exceptions]
3) [One exception is : "A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun."

Nowhere does it say you must have the license on you.

When you tell the officer you have a license, and you are not currently carrying it -- he MAY be willing to look it up in the database.

However: It may be to your advantage to have the license on you as proof -- otherwise you may be arrested, have to get bail, then show the license to the DA later to get the charges dropped.

Last Edited:
I distinctly remember reading the paperwork that came with the CHL in the mail from Marion County that it had to be with you any time you CCW, or you would be considered (some Latin legal term) not a CHL holder and in violation of Oregon CC laws.

I for one NEVER leave the house without my I.D. (or my CHL and CCW) so its moot to me in that regard.

I can find nothing in the Oregon Laws that require you to actually carry your CC with you. All of the laws seem to be of the form:

1) [Some activity is illegal, like carrying a concealed weapon]
2) [A huge list of exceptions]
3) [One exception is : "A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun."

Nowhere does it say you must have the license on you.

When you tell the officer you have a license, and you are not currently carrying it -- he MAY be willing to look it up in the database.

However: It may be to your advantage to have the license on you as proof -- otherwise you may be arrested, have to get bail, then show the license to the DA later to get the charges dropped.

That's pretty much it.

166.292 Procedure for issuing; form of license; duration. (1) If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application, a wallet sized license bearing the photograph of the licensee. The license must be signed by the licensee and carried whenever the licensee carries a concealed handgun.
(2) Failure of a person who carries a concealed handgun also to carry a concealed handgun license is prima facie evidence that the person does not have such a license.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top