JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Creme de la Creme

pink-slime.jpg

Hey, at least in the U.S. there are no political dissidents in there

I'm going to hope none of you are on blood pressure reducing drugs, which put hot dogs on the Bad List because unfortunately whatever they use while making hot dogs, a lot of salt is needed

I like Nathan's but have had to switch to uncured dogs so I've found an angus dog with nothing but celery and salt with no preservatives other then that so they aren't all that bad for you but I'll admit after even Nathan's they are a little bland.

I hope none of you worried about salt/blood pressure drive anything less than a 1 ton pickup. Studies show your survival rate in a crash goes up dramatically when you are behind the wheel of a larger vehicle. Yes I'm on blood pressure meds. Moderation my friends, moderation.

Change your diet and you wouldn't need blood pressure meds unless you have a genetic predisposition for it.

One nice thing about sticking strictly to Kosher hot dogs... you know what's in 'em is generally safe.

Do love the occasional Johnsonville Beddar with Cheddar or Hillshire Farms Cheddarwurst though, and Nathan's is OK. General rule is avoid the El Cheapo 99-cents-a-pack Walmart Special stuff, buy the better brands and get your money's worth. :)

.. until my fishing buddy told me what it was like to work in a meat packing plant that made baloney and hotdogs ...

Worked with a guy years ago that had a second job at Hormel. He wouldn't eat anything they made except their canned hams. Think he was the first one to share that old saying ... 'those who respect the law and like to eat hotdogs shouldn't watch either one being made.'

I like Nathan's but have had to switch to uncured dogs so I've found an angus dog with nothing but celery and salt with no preservatives other then that so they aren't all that bad for you but I'll admit after even Nathan's they are a little bland.

I hate to break the news to you but celery has the needed nitrites and nitrates for curing meat. Coupled with salt, you are in fact eating a cured product.
Nitrites and nitrates naturally occur in a lot of daily food items.
The problem with using celery powder as a non traditional curing agent is dangerous. As far as i know i cannot reliably use a teaspoon of celery powder in place of a traditional curing agent and expect the same results. Including knowing that the growth of botulism has not happened.

There is a lot to read about nitrates and nitrites. I have read, read, and read some more. And probably have forgotten more than i care to admit.
One of my favorite things to do is make sausage. Understanding the chemistry of it all involves nitrates and nitrites.

I hate to break the news to you but celery has the needed nitrites and nitrates for curing meat. Coupled with salt, you are in fact eating a cured product.
Nitrites and nitrates naturally occur in a lot of daily food items.
The problem with using celery powder as a non traditional curing agent is dangerous. As far as i know i cannot reliably use a teaspoon of celery powder in place of a traditional curing agent and expect the same results. Including knowing that the growth of botulism has not happened.

There is a lot to read about nitrates and nitrites. I have read, read, and read some more. And probably have forgotten more than i care to admit.
One of my favorite things to do is make sausage. Understanding the chemistry of it all involves nitrates and nitrites.
I have also spent many hours on the subject and found this to be a good resource pardon me if you have already seen it.
http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/gentlemans-guide-charcuterie

I have also spent many hours on the subject and found this to be a good resource pardon me if you have already seen it.
http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/gentlemans-guide-charcuterie

I havent seen that article. It is pretty light reading about charcuterie. I have 6 books specifically about charcuterie. Another 7-8 about sausage making. I visit a few different forums depending on what i am looking for.
But the most expansive and knowledgeable forum can be found here: Homemade Sausage Making :: Forum index (http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/)

I rarely eat dogs, love them but not so good, given my personal health issues. When I do have an illicit hot dog, I often like peanut butter and catsup on the bun!

When I really crave salty variety meats, I go for Johnsonville brats!
I simmer the brats and a sliced onion in beer, until done. Then, toss them on a hot grill, for some good char!
Serve them with the onions, and whatever condiments you like on whole wheat hot dog buns. 'Cause I like a heavy meat to bun ratio!:D

I rarely eat dogs, love them but not so good, given my personal health issues. When I do have an illicit hot dog, I often like peanut butter and catsup on the bun!

When I really crave salty variety meats, I go for Johnsonville brats!
I simmer the brats and a sliced onion in beer, until done. Then, toss them on a hot grill, for some good char!
Serve them with the onions, and whatever condiments you like on whole wheat hot dog buns. 'Cause I like a heavy meat to bun ratio!:D

I was going to say "ewwww" to the PB on the hot dog, but remembered I've had a burger (at Lacy's Bomber Restaurant) with PB on it, it wasn't too bad. Never tried it on a dog though.

And yes, the meat should always be bigger than the buns...;)

Johnsonville and Hillshire Farms have gotten SO bad with whatever filler they're using, the texture is inedible for me anymore. Considering the cost of those, and $5.69 a pound for Gartner's Meats dogs, (like 15 different flavors/styles) your coming out ahead. Any butcher shop that makes their own are going to be better than over salted, fat laden "Crap Dogs". We do get a Costco dog when ever we go there though.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top