JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you guys want to really be put off sausage and packaged meats, check out.

"The Jungle" 1906 by Upton Sinclair

It's an indictment of the cruel maltreatment of immigrants at the turn of the last century! It impacted American's much, much, more by opening the shadows concealing the meat packing industry of the day! The few current laws protecting us today stem from the book! It's a great read too! I believe it's available by PDF. :p:confused:o_O:eek::(o_O

Supposedly there is a kick bubblegum place in Portland that makes their own dogs and sausages that still serves them for lunch.

I saw it on a TV show... I think it was Diners and dives.

Gus Sappisio?
Anyway,he worked in Nalley valley (Tacoma) at a hot dog type company. Can't remember the brand
So he is out towards Roy and stops at Sterwart's meats,a place they make the good stuff. Hunters would stop on their way out.
So they start talking and the guy asks Gus where he works. He tells the guy and the guy asks why he's buying stuff there?
Gus tells the guy he would NEVER eat the stuff he made:eek:

Hey! "If it looks good, EAT IT!"

Lemme tell ya', if we ever get into a point where survival is key, a few rodent hairs, dirt or leaves just aren't going to matter one little bit! All the people that are so concerned that their food sat out an hour more than "they" say it should ever get to the point of having no food readily available they are going to parish because their systems won't stand the (extra) bacteria.

Hey! "If it looks good, EAT IT!"

Lemme tell ya', if we ever get into a point where survival is key, a few rodent hairs, dirt or leaves just aren't going to matter one little bit! All the people that are so concerned that their food sat out an hour more than "they" say it should ever get to the point of having no food readily available they are going to parish because their systems won't stand the (extra) bacteria.

In many European countries, eggs are not refrigerated. And they suffer no more issues with salmonella than we do here. Imagine the minds blowing apart in the US if they started doing that here. The key to doing it is NOT washing the eggs after they are collected, like we do in the US, as it washes away the natural protective barrier of the egg shell, which then requires us to refrigerate them to protect us.

I think your'e right though, we've become a country so obsessed with food safety that our bodies are not given the opportunity to develop any defense against some of these issues.

Last Edited:
A good hot dog is a little bit spicy and is made of decent meat.

But what makes it a great hot dog is the condiments.

Onions, relish, a good deli mustard. Chili and cheese is optional, but in moderation or occasionally used, can add some variation to a hot dog.

Then there are the buns.

Don't forget about the small meat shops. White's in Gresham and The Meating Place here in Hillsboro have great sausages and dogs.

I need a sausage stuffer adapter for my kitchen aid grinder...

I'd be in hog heaven if I ever got one of those. Yeah they are cheap I know.

With all the hot dog/sausage talk....Wifey pointed out to me that New Seasons has the Cuban Pork sausages on for $3.99lb. Red beans and rice, collards to go with them. New Seasons makes some pretty good sausage, very lean and not a lot of salt. I can't make spaghetti or pizza anymore without THEIR Italian sausage. It's unique, with pieces of fresh garlic in it. Totally different that all the other commercial brands. All sausage is made fresh daily.

With all the hot dog/sausage talk....Wifey pointed out to me that New Seasons has the Cuban Pork sausages on for $3.99lb. Red beans and rice, collards to go with them. New Seasons makes some pretty good sausage, very lean and not a lot of salt. I can't make spaghetti or pizza anymore without THEIR Italian sausage. It's unique, with pieces of fresh garlic in it. Totally different that all the other commercial brands. All sausage is made fresh daily.

I wish I had a New Seasons near me. I use Italian sausage when I make Zuppa Toscana. Always nice to find a decent sausage for a dish like that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top