JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw a few 3-9x40/50mm scopes at Bimart, I saw one under $100. May get it soon to try it out and have something a bit stronger then 4x32. * The bolt cocks upon closing.

I saw a few 3-9x40/50mm scopes at Bimart, I saw one under $100. May get it soon to try it out and have something a bit stronger then 4x32. * The bolt cocks upon closing.
A 50 mm objective might be a bit large for the low comb on that stock. It will have to be mounted higher than you want. I bet a P14 cock on the opening kit would fit the rifle. It looks like a Remington model 30, the forerunner of a 700. There are 3-9 x 40 Leupolds on eBay for around 100.00

I have a habit of haunting the gun store in Gold Beach [on the left-hand side, set back from 101 as you come in from the north], and the 'antique shop' in Wheeler. Both locations have proven very fruitish in my endless search for El Paso-made Weaver scopes over the years. I've rarely had to cough up more than $25, either.

Here's a K4 on my old K31........

upload_2017-9-27_9-34-55.png

and a 3 - 9 on a K31....BTW, the mounts are from my good friends up in Kallispel Montana, Swiss Products. Mornin', Piérre and Latigo, if you are reading this.

upload_2017-9-27_9-35-59.png

Can't beat real steel and good glass, eh? The rings are always from Warne in Tualatin. We likes to buy Oregonian stuff, when we can, us. :)

tac

Bought a burris fulfield 3-9 30mm tube from cabellas 10 days ago for 149.99 it had the e1 plex. Liked it so well shipped one to my brother in law. Between the warne rings and scope have about 225 for mounting the new scope on a new to me mauser in 30-06. Spent more but not better for the price.

Bought a burris fulfield 3-9 30mm tube from cabellas 10 days ago for 149.99 it had the e1 plex. Liked it so well shipped one to my brother in law. Between the warne rings and scope have about 225 for mounting the new scope on a new to me mauser in 30-06. Spent more but not better for the price.
Do you like Burris? I had a terrible experiance with both the company and one of there products a few years ago. I had an eer Burris on a Remington XP100 .308 that came apart within the first 20 rounds.......sent it to the factory, it came back in 6 months but the recital was still broken. After the second trip back, the service dept told me the scope wasn't designed for the recoil of a .308 pistol and they would not repair it again.........so, that company has joined my list of people producing junk. They spend tons of money on advertising, too bad they don't put more into there products. I replaced it with a Leupold and never had another issue.

Here's what a 50- 60 year old Leupold fixed 4x looks like. Clear glass and fine cross hairs. As good as the newer stuff. The adjustment knobs don't click, they just turn with friction holding them. Holds zero great. That's an old 6mm Remington under the scope. Been together since new.

1010209.jpg

Here's what a 50- 60 year old Leupold fixed 4x looks like. Clear glass and fine cross hairs. As good as the newer stuff. The adjustment knobs don't click, they just turn with friction holding them. Holds zero great. That's an old 6mm Remington under the scope. Been together since new.

View attachment 393910
There used to be 8 or 10 of us that would set up a big elk camp in the Washington State Blue Mountains. I remember one year we got in the habit of leaning our rifles against a big tree in camp. One morning we were getting going early. Some guys had Weaver scopes, some Leupolds, Redfields and some others I don't remember. The Leupolds were the only scopes that didn't fog. Every one else had to wait for the day to warm up enough to clear there scopes. None of the Leupolds fogged.

Do you like Burris? I had a terrible experiance with both the company and one of there products a few years ago. I had an eer Burris on a Remington XP100 .308 that came apart within the first 20 rounds.......sent it to the factory, it came back in 6 months but the recital was still broken. After the second trip back, the service dept told me the scope wasn't designed for the recoil of a .308 pistol and they would not repair it again.........so, that company has joined my list of people producing junk. They spend tons of money on advertising, too bad they don't put more into there products. I replaced it with a Leupold and never had another issue.
I have not had any issues with the burris 'MTacs I have on my ARs or 'FAL so far when I do I will reconsider. My brother in law stands by them as well. So far no issues.

I was shooting the 6mm just a few days ago. And when I looked through the scope I saw a blur in the middle. I thought her time had come. Wiped off the lenses and it went away. Just a smudge. :D

I was shooting the 6mm just a few days ago. And when I looked through the scope I saw a blur in the middle. I thought her time had come. Wiped off the lenses and it went away. Just a smudge. :D
I sound like a Leupold salesman....I am not, really love my fine European scopes but for the money, they are just unbeatable. The company is incredible to work with and there products are rock solid. They would have happily resealed and repaired your old friend as needed. Leupold has been the standard for military long range rifles for ever. My M24 system still has the same Leupold scope that it was first issued with 15 years ago and they are a Northwest (Oregon) company..........

On an '06 sporter I like a 2-7 or 3-9 variable. Always fond of Leopold scopes, when I could afford them. These days I think that Vortex is the way to go, for me anyway. I've never needed the absolute best glass on the market, I'll leave thats for the rich boys! If I have a scope that does not shift POA, let's me see the target/game clearly including adequate light gathering ability, I'll do the rest!
I'm not particularly of the old style glass on older rifles faction! Basically what ever floats your boat, new, old, I don't care. Good luck glassing that sweet rifle! :)

I have a habit of haunting the gun store in Gold Beach [on the left-hand side, set back from 101 as you come in from the north], and the 'antique shop' in Wheeler. Both locations have proven very fruitish in my endless search for El Paso-made Weaver scopes over the years. I've rarely had to cough up more than $25, either.

Here's a K4 on my old K31........

View attachment 393866

and a 3 - 9 on a K31....BTW, the mounts are from my good friends up in Kallispel Montana, Swiss Products. Mornin', Piérre and Latigo, if you are reading this.

View attachment 393867

Can't beat real steel and good glass, eh? The rings are always from Warne in Tualatin. We likes to buy Oregonian stuff, when we can, us. :)

tac

Love those old Weavers, tac, you could beat an elk to death with one and never lose the POA! I have its twin on a Wes Reynolds custom 30-06 in my safe! :)

To me classic hunting rifles cry out for a leupold scope. My dad's old Browning bar in 30-06 is one such rifle. My 03 springfield sporter being another. When I start looking at tactical or synthetic rifles is when I start looking at Nikon, Burris , vortex or Bushnell elites. I consider each of those companies roughly equivalents. To me in my price range Leupold says class.

On an '06 sporter I like a 2-7 or 3-9 variable. Always fond of Leopold scopes, when I could afford them. These days I think that Vortex is the way to go, for me anyway. I've never needed the absolute best glass on the market, I'll leave thats for the rich boys! If I have a scope that does not shift POA, let's me see the target/game clearly including adequate light gathering ability, I'll do the rest!
I'm not particularly of the old style glass on older rifles faction! Basically what ever floats your boat, new, old, I don't care. Good luck glassing that sweet rifle! :)
I agree about the need for the best quality glass.......although I do appreciate a great lens.....but in a rifle scope, it's job is to get the bullet on the mark, you are not formulating a gallery photograph for posterity. The mechanics of the scope are at least equally important to the optics. Modern lens coatings are an incredible improvement over old bare glass lenses. As I age, glare is more of a problem and the coatings really help with that. My brother is all in with Nightforce. They are a nice scope also produced here in the PNW but quite expensive so don't belong in a discussion about a common Leupold.

Love those old Weavers, tac, you could beat an elk to death with one and never lose the POA! I have its twin on a Wes Reynolds custom 30-06 in my safe! :)
Many old Weavers used German lenses......a good thing...but I don't think there sealing system (for a nitrogen filled scope) was very good. They really did fog in bad weather.

I have one on a fn mauser in 7x57. The k4 was rebuilt by a guy doing work on them after weaver went south. Need to put a stock on that rifle when I find a classic one. It will be a nice shooter some day when I find time.

I have one on a fn mauser in 7x57. The k4 was rebuilt by a guy doing work on them after weaver went south. Need to put a stock on that rifle when I find a classic one. It will be a nice shooter some day when I find time.
I love FN products (one of the factories we visited in Europe last year) as well as the 7X57 caliber......(the ballistic Twin to the 7mm 08) does it have a set trigger? One of my favorite rifles is my 1918 Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle in 8X57 (an under rated cartridge) with claw mounts under an early Zeiss 6X56 scope. It has the finest stock of anything in my collection. Literally makes everything else feel like a club. When you are ready for a stock, let me know. A buddy of mine here in Weiser bought 2 Gunstock companies in Yuba City California, he is operating the company but not advertising much. He has hundreds of patterns, thousands of blanks and the carving machines originally built for Fajen. that K4 belongs on a pre 64 featherweight M70..........

I love FN products (one of the factories we visited in Europe last year) as well as the 7X57 caliber......(the ballistic Twin to the 7mm 08) does it have a set trigger? One of my favorite rifles is my 1918 Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle in 8X57 (an under rated cartridge) with claw mounts under an early Zeiss 6X56 scope. It has the finest stock of anything in my collection. Literally makes everything else feel like a club. When you are ready for a stock, let me know. A buddy of mine here in Weiser bought 2 Gunstock companies in Yuba City California, he is operating the company but not advertising much. He has hundreds of patterns, thousands of blanks and the carving machines originally built for Fajen. that K4 belongs on a pre 64 featherweight M70..........
My 'FN is a commercial action. Manufactured between 1948 and 1950. It has the one cut in the cylinder ring. I swapped the trigger out on it wth a timney. Other than that it appears original.
I moved out to the country thinking I would have a lot more time to shoot maybe in a few years I will. With what it's taking to get the place up to my standards I question what kind of shape I am going to be in. Already rolled my kubota this year. Not planning to do that again. Any how I need to start shooting the rifles I have but reality is getting in the way of having fun lately. A long way of saying I have no idea when I will be putting that rifle back together.

I've been a big fan of the Leupold Scopes for many years and I'd suggest you look for one in the 3-9X top 4-12X range for your '06. I personally stopped using the cheaper scopes after seeing too many come into my shop over the years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top