JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a BSA 30.06 made in the 50's, I am looking to mount a scope, any suggestions on a affordable zoomable scope, thanks.

20170922_213802.jpg 20170922_211506_1506140163754.jpeg 20170913_134743.jpg 20170913_135305.jpg 20170913_134841.jpg 20170913_134811.jpg

Last Edited:
Craigslist has an ad running right now for a new scope that was donated to a charity by the manufacturer.
Half price and the reviews are good

Alpen Apex XP Side-Focus Riflescope 3-9x40mm 4052X

Store Price on box $539.00 SELL FOR LESS THAN HALF PRICE $249.95...only one left we have sold 7 in two weeks

Uploaded pictures, I am not sure if this model of BSA had D/E varients. I have been looking into 3-9x40 scopes. I also love the 3006 caliber, perhaps one day ill buy a HCAR haha.

Nice rifle. That's an early one made in 1949. I'm assuming either model A or B. The later ones had more modern looking/bent bolt handles and better stocks. These rifles were only made from 1949-1951. They had 5 variations, which were Models A-E. Nice rifle. I still think you should check that Nikon out. Excellent scope at a great price...

It depends on how far you plan to shoot it...;)
The way
Nice rifle. That's an early one made in 1949. I'm assuming either model A or B. The later ones had more modern looking/bent bolt handles and better stocks. These rifles were only made from 1949-1951. They had 5 variations, which were Models A-E. Nice rifle. I still think you should check that Nikon out. Excellent scope at a great price...
Thanks for the information, I pulled it from the safe few weeks back just as the season opened, the rifle was my gramps, hadn't been shot in almost 30 years, and it shoots well, hits primer dead center, now needs a scope to complete it. Im still checking out the nikon scope, looking for a low cost scope for now.

Yours looks to be in good shape. Those BSA rifles are great shooters and rugged as hell, as with all m1917 rifles. However, If you are real serious about using it and depending on it, I'd check the ejector and make sure it's been upgraded to the coil spring type. That is a very easy modification with the factory ejector too, if you want to keep it on the cheap. If not you can buy one already done from brownells or Numrich. By the way, if you go much cheaper than that Nikon I posted above, you aren't getting much in the way of quality or dependability. If you can live with a fixed 4x, the burris the other poster has would be good. Just about any good 4x would work like an older Leupold m8 4x or steel tube weaver k4. Great scopes that you can usually snag at good prices. Good luck with your grandad's old rifle. I'm sure he'd be proud you are using it. If you plan on using those waver bases, I'd get some Burris Zee rings to go with them. They work great and are good looking and strong rings. I use them on my m1917:

QXv4UFf.jpg

Also, I'd check with this guy and buy his trigger and or stock. It will make that rifle even sweeter:

WTS/WTT OR - 1917 Enfield Sporter Parts

Last Edited:
I will check into the upgrade + a stronger scope( gun funds depending haha), so far I've shot a box of 20 half 160/180gr. Each round was struck center of primer/ejected smoothly. I currently have a Bushnell Sportview T1403 4x32, but no rings yet. He is glad that I am putting it to good use, I also have a Rem 1903A1 but haven't cleaned or fired it yet, probably will soon. Thank you, Everyone for all the info and offers. This Is Why I Love This Forum.

Good and cheap are usually different.

For less than $100 one can buy a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. I put a couple of these on 30-06s I gave to my nephews.
My Dad's 06 wears a Bushnell, a Sportview, I believe. These are good, serviceable scopes, also backed by a great warranty.
For a little more a lower end Redfield, Leupold Rifleman or Nikon can be had, then it's up on price from there.

Since I started shooting 30-06 my rifles have always sported a 3-9x40. It works well up close and the 9x is capable for even smaller targets at 400 yards. I think this magnification range compliments the ability of the 06.

I wouldn't shy away from a fixed power. 4x for this side of the state, 6x for the east.

@010USN , since you already have a scope, I suggest you spend your money now on a good set of rings to go with the Weaver bases shown on the rifle above (assuming the Bushnell has a 1" tube). You'll be up and running, and will be able to upgrade your scope at a later date if you so choose.

For vintage rifles I like the look of a vintage scope or at least vintage looking scopes.
If this was my rifle I'd use:
Leupold fixed 4x or one of their smaller 3x9 or 2x7 models.
Edit to add: Neat rifle... I like it !
Andy

Last Edited:
Besides the obvious issue of clarity , especially at the edges, morning and evening light is where lesser scopes break down optically and hard to judge in bright stores.

2 power and 4 power fixed have left me wanting several times when terrain and flora varies.

3-9 has been the hunting standard since variable scopes were perfected though I have done most of my hunting with 2.5 X 8 of quality and great satisfaction. However recent advancements in optics has moved the spread with the ability to still maintain a good FOV making my new 4.5 X 14 a wonderful thing except for very close up brush work where Iron sights still rule but lack the light gathering benefit of coated optics.

Generally a 40mm objective will give the optimum FOV over the power range spread and most comfortable to shoot. I don't like 50 mm but, 50 will give a larger FOV at higher power and a little more light but usually moves the scope up high enough you can't keep the stock to your cheek losing valuable support especially while standing and unfortunately how most hunting shots will occur. A higher cheek piece will help but ads weight and is unwieldy and cumbersome to me. Another down side to the higher scope will be realized for the hunter shooting running game, swing and lead become difficult with the disjointed connection between eye and arms and lack of cheek support, giving high probability the scope will "black out".
On the other hand, the higher placement of the 50mm scope, and therefore its line of sight verses the bore line of sight, the better your mid range trajectory curve will look over a longer distance, (in some cases of very fast moving bullets) My .270 with a 1 7/8 inch spread between line of sight and bore line with hand loads using a 130 gr ballistic tip Nosler gives approximately a 25 yard zero and a 275 yard zero with only +4" high mid range and about the same minus at 350 making a shot to the middle of the chest vital zone nearly point blank over 350 yards. (again depending on caliber speed and projectile) nonetheless the same principal with similar results holds true for many violent cartridges including the 30-06 if projectile weight is kept low. This alone, makes a mounted scope superior to iron sights if 2 to 3 hundred yard shots are expected, other wise you will need to bring your calculator to figure the hold over.
If you don't shoot a lot, the simpler the reticule the better since many of them are distracting and confusing to the untrained. Fine or tapered duplex or dot works best for the sunday shooter and I would stay away from posts, to me they blot out too much of the view especially if using for smaller varmits. Some of the range averaging with sever incremental dots are handy but some get carried away in my opine. The relatively new Boon and Crocket reticule is easy to mentally grip and worth looking at.
Mount your scope as low as possible according to case ejection,barrel taper and receiver construction to keep a solid purchase of your firearm.
See through mounts are a joke to me since they place the scope too high, plus, in 45 years I have never had a scope failure so if that is a reason for keeping iron sights, then quick dismount bases would be the optimum way to go. The only quick release I have returns to the same point of impact every time it has been removed and replaced..
I hunted with a family where two of them did not know to adjust the focus making their reticule barely visible and one hadn't even sighted his in thinking the factory mounted scope was already sighted in. Big mistakes. Take the time to read the scope manual, adjust it for a crisp reticule and position it for proper eye relief to fit your grasp.. then spend the time to sight it in at several different distances and become one with the scope and your trigger.
I hope something is usable here. Bear in mind, many factors like length of pull, drop, body size and shape will alter ones opinion of what is best when it comes to scope mounting. If you cant throw your rifle up and have a sight picture every time something needs adjusting. Neck craning and view searching will not only be uncomfortable but will cause you to miss your shot.
Good luck finding what's right for you.
The BSA should be a very serviceable tool from my recollect of many years ago.

You can also grab a Vortex Diamondback for a great price and have a lifetime warranty that's transferable and easy-peasy to use if needed. I disagree with using a vintage scope on an older rifle just for the looks. Scope technology and accuracy is leaps and bounds over what it used to be. It's a hunting rifle and not a wall hanger after all.

Buy a used Leupold......even a broken one.....lifetime no questions asked warranty and excellent quality. I have European scopes and leupolds.....I love the Nickel Magna 2 1/2 X12 30mm scope with a 56mm objective on my Steyr Manlicher but it is mostly unnecessary in this county as we seldom hunt at night. There are lots of great Used Leupolds on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks or less. Your rifle looks great. It must be related to a P14 Enfield......one of the best strongest rifles ever. Does it cock on the opening or closing of the bolt?..........my Nickel is a hand built 4,000.00 German scope. I have a degree in Photography and avoid Oriental scopes and camera equipment. It can be adaquate but seldom equal and never better than my European or American equipment. We used to sell Tasco at the gun shop I worked at in high school. They had a "lifetime" warranty that was very nessisary. They would frequently come in in pieces. It always took 6 months to get them repaired at the warranty station and commonly would break again in short order.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top