JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad and I go over to Idaho once or twice in early may usually...we are looking for other spots to go to in Oregon or other states but we don't know any spots that don't require big money for private access. I'd love to network with some folks here.

Was just visiting my parents. Their neighbors field is already swarming with whistle pigs. None on my parents side of the fence. Used to be a big colony at my parents place. For some reason, a total mystery i cant wrap my head around, theyve seemed to all but disappear in my parents pasture. Likewise theyve pretty much vanished at my place. Life is full of mystery.

If any one is willing to help with good locations I would appreciate it. I have high school senior that is not getting to do his planned senior trip due to COVID. I would like to give him something fun to do.

The whistle pigs are out here in SW Idaho, but seems like only mid day when it warms up. Soon though and I'll be popping them all day long on the property here.

I got to say, I've met a lot of guys over here with their long range rat killers and special handloads smokin pigs at 400+ yards. I fart in their general direction with my .22 rimfire smokin' just as many rats for a fraction of the price...lol

Well here is the promised report on the eary trip for sage rats, etc. Turns out it was a very good time for varmint control. This may be a bit verbose, but maybe some folks have more time now for reading.
Day 1. Headed out just after sunrise for eastern OR and Nevada. It felt really good to escape the madness here in PDX and get some distance on the open road. I smiled at the empty freeways as I turned up my collection of road music. You know all the classics right...Roger Miller, King of the Road, Willie and On the Road Again, Hit the Road Jack, Mustang Sally...about a hundred fifty miles worth. The vehicle of choice...2007 Lincoln Town Car my father left me when he passed two year sago. With a massive trunk and V8, this hot rod Lincoln swallows luggage and eats highway miles all day. Big ride, quiet and silky smooth.
Making this trip in late March was a bit risky weather wise, but the weathermen got this one right. Williamette pass was a postcard with blue sky and sunshine. No sign of any virus up here. Picked up my long time hunting buddy (more firearms and ammo) at his place near Gilchrist and on the road to Christmas Valley in no time. Rolling in to Fort Rock we stopped to glass for rats in a field we have shot before ... not a single rat. On to another farm that was closed till April for SR shooting. Called a farmer near CV and he said he's been looking but just not seeing rats pop out ...due any day. Bummer. So he says go look around tell me what you see ... and there they were in an Alfalfa pivot. Not very many but enough to set up and open the season...now 1:30, clear sky and 55 degrees We decided on 17HMR as the range was 90 yards to 200, wind was picking up from the west and built to 10-15 mph. Didn't take long to hear the familiar bullet plop we came for. As expected, the shooting was slow ... no need to hoard ammo for this activity. We picked up and moved to another spot in the same field for another 20 rnds now really enjoying our self quarantined place in the sun. Then moved again in the same field as it hit 60 degrees, wind died down and then ground began to open up. Clearly this was opening day now...shots from 70-120 yds. The alfalfa was green and starting up, and really no cover for the rats like later in the year. We shot that till 6PM. Estimated rounds at 250 for both of us. Firearms were Savage B17 suppressed w/Bushnell 3-12, and Savage 93 LH bull w/same scope. Most ammo was CCI 17grn. The eagles, hawks and ravens thanked us as we loaded up for more highway. Made Lakeview by 9PM . One car in the motel lot, waited 10 minutes for someone to reluctantly give us older high risk folks a lousy room.
Day 2 29 degrees at 7AM, no coffee in the room...not good. We had time so we cruised down towards Alturas way into CA and explore a bit around Goose lake. Neat country loaded with wildlife ... cold clear skies, no sign of virus here. Pointed the Lincoln towards Nevada, over the first pass with no skier in sight at Warner, dropped down into the flats then let Lincoln haver her head and turned her loose. Gorgeous big basin and range country...clear skies, no wind. Saw 3 cars in the first 75 miles. No need for rest stops...just park in the middle of the center stripe when nature calls. Now I'm singing "You'll drive me to drinking if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln" in my head. So we called the ranch that agreed to let us rat hunt. I stumbled on this hunting outfit on line and hoped it would work out after all the miles. It was Sunday and our contact was busy but he gave directions and we headed into the ranch country near Paradise Valley NV trying to figure out where to find the rat fields without a map. 50 degrees clear, no wind at 1PM. Hit the brakes...there's a coyote! Pulled over pulled out a suppressed 204R. Doubled back on a side road and as luck would have it he crossed in front and stopped at 80 yards. That never happens...right. He paid the price. 30 minutes later we found the rats in an alfalfa field. For some reason, of all the strip fields we saw, this one was the only busy with rats. They were close and the weapons of choice ... Ruger 10/22's. Now I like precision centerfires a lot but there is no more fun than shooting sage rats with a good old 22. no recoil, stay in the scope for follow up/finish shots...oh boy we are have fun now. We shot that till 5PM as the evening cooled and they went under. Estimated rnds...250 for both of us ... all 22, mostly just plan hv hollow points. Got to 60 degrees with little wind. Kill ratio probably 90% or better. Some shooting was self defense. Now back on the road again to meet up with my kid brother in Winnemucca. So the real purpose of the trip was to transfer some goods to my brother who now lives in AZ near Cottonwood. Just to clarify...it was not toilet paper and the Lincoln was noticeably lighter in the truck area when the switch was made. We brought all our own food so we had a reunion with Mr Pendleton and talked about another day of varmint control tomorrow. Supposed to be windy. My brother had never seen or shot a SR, but we grew up killing P dogs.
Day 3 30 degrees mostly sunny at 7AM. Found coffee...loaded magazines, loaded magazines. Back to the ranch at 9:30...early in the day considering the temp but the rats were out. Soon my brother had that smile and we shot all day...not hot shooting but slow and steady. Shoot and laugh, laugh and shoot. The plans comes together. Today's arsenal included bros suppressed custom buckmark, his A17, and my grandfathers 22 pump. I did not know he was bringing it so I got a free memory lane trip...I carried it when I was 12. And we shot a rat with it...soon the great great grandkids will shot this rifle. Good Stuff These rats were 20% bigger than the OR cousins...can't explain it but we dealt with it. We shot 17's mostly because of the wind, the rats seemed to ignore the wind...never seen that. Same as OR, short green alfalfa, no cover for the vermin. Total round count about 250. Back to Winnemucca Mr Pendleton had left but Sir Jamie showed up.
Day 4 6:30 Time to say goodbye. Weather moving in with snow on the hills. Gassed up for $1.99 and left an eerie, deserted Winnemucca for home. I think there are 6 passes between Winnemucca and Gilchrist and each one had snow so the Lincoln had to trot but got safely back to my buddies place. Decided to cruise on back to Beavertown...slipped over the pass before more snow and rolled in at 6.
So another great outdoor adventure with friend and family in the books. We almost canceled due to the obvious. We will be back in the rat fields soon.
PS: Pictures did not want to post here...see below

Good time for Varmint control pictures:

20200321_102203.jpg 20200321_152322.jpg 20200322_164237.jpg 20200322_142330.jpg IMG_09301 (2).jpg 20200325_084940.jpg 20200324_064801.jpg

We decided to cancel our trip that was set for two weeks from now. In light of the reaction to "city folk" heading to small beach towns and other rural areas (I live in Lyons, OR, so not exactly an epicenter for population), we decided that it might be best to stay home and not risk offending the farmers that allow us to use their fields.

Better to be prudent and respectful then to lose that opportunity if we were to offend.

Now I can dream about it until next year!

Flashpan,

How's that Remington Model 12 working out as a rat killer? I took mine out a couple of times and surprised myself with it! Eyes aren't what they used to be though, so it's getting tougher to do that now.

Well here is the promised report on the eary trip for sage rats, etc. Turns out it was a very good time for varmint control. This may be a bit verbose, but maybe some folks have more time now for reading.
Day 1. Headed out just after sunrise for eastern OR and Nevada. It felt really good to escape the madness here in PDX and get some distance on the open road. I smiled at the empty freeways as I turned up my collection of road music. You know all the classics right...Roger Miller, King of the Road, Willie and On the Road Again, Hit the Road Jack, Mustang Sally...about a hundred fifty miles worth. The vehicle of choice...2007 Lincoln Town Car my father left me when he passed two year sago. With a massive trunk and V8, this hot rod Lincoln swallows luggage and eats highway miles all day. Big ride, quiet and silky smooth.

This entire report was excellent. I wish I was in the desert with you right now. But I am compelled to say that your choice of road tunes and vehicle was impeccable. :) Well played sir! ;)

Flashpan,

How's that Remington Model 12 working out as a rat killer? I took mine out a couple of times and surprised myself with it! Eyes aren't what they used to be though, so it's getting tougher to do that now.
I'd say your eyes are still pretty good to spot the model 12. It still runs slick and the iron sights are right on target if you do your part.
I run with the ELKS in Hood River 1507
Cheers

Great story telling & pictures!
Thank you. I'm two weeks away and my 'spiritual' quest with my two young varmint slayer sons will be fulfilled .... or at least releasing corona-stress NW drama w stupid people. (Yes I've confirmed w my places it's ok).
Those of you that experience rats & rock chuck killing w a splash of coyote or badger understand.....it's truly what makes me happy!
Be safe, respectful!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top