JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My hunting buddy Jerry and I had a great day scouting for animals in the unit we are going to hunt this weekend to include bull and cow elk and several legal deer. We shot these sage grouse with a .243 and .223 because that's what we had brought hoping to spot some coyotes. They'll be tasty served up with some fried taters and green beans.
20191006_094753.jpg
20191006_094806.jpg

A few years ago, on the tv show "Bizzare Food" with host Andrew Zimmern, they cooked and ate a coyote.

I've eaten a lot of wild critters, but the thought of eating a coyote makes me nauseous...

My hunting buddy Jerry and I had a great day scouting for animals in the unit we are going to hunt this weekend to include bull and cow elk and several legal deer. We shot these sage grouse with a .243 and .223 because that's what we had brought hoping to spot some coyotes. They'll be tasty served up with some fried taters and green beans.
View attachment 622922
View attachment 622923

I like to season the breast pieces with salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt. Sear them in an iron skillet and remove them. Then use the juices with a little chicken stock, butter, and flour to make a roux. Add whole milk and stir until it thickens to a light gravy with the consistency of a chowder. Place the breast pieces in a 2 inch baking dish. Add some peas, corn, and pour the gravy in. Bake at 325 and serve over mashed potatoes.

I do not enjoy playing the school marm, citing the rules. For all I know, the OP wasn't even scouting in Idaho, but some other state that has an open sage grouse season in October (I don't know what state that would be).

But poaching isn't cool.

Many of us have taken a game animal or fish out of season, only to learn afterwards that we'd made a mistake. It happens. But I'd be remiss if I let a public post go by that I knew was outside the boundaries. We all would.

To the OP, I would say keep a copy of the regs in your truck. If there's a question, check them. I want to hunt the sage grouse. I want my kids and grandkids to hunt them. That will only happen if they stick around and we keep them off the endangered species list. Being reckless in our take of game doesn't help. But again, we all make mistakes.

It sounds like a successful day of scouting, on the whole, and I wish you luck for the hunt. Take the bit about the sage grouse as a learning opportunity, please. These forums are at their best when we think of them that way.

Worth reading.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top