JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
Wait, we can block moderators? BRB
Insert best evil laugh here......
No.
Andy
200.gif

Insert best evil laugh here......
No.
Andy
View attachment 1866565
I am not sure you got the point of my suggestion; I am not griping against the concept of block/ignore, I am stating I do not thing someone blocking/ignoring you should cause holes in your feed. If they want to hole their own feed that is on them, If I like my feed unmolested, well I should be in full control of my own ignore list.

I am not sure you got the point of my suggestion; I am not griping against the concept of block/ignore, I am stating I do not thing someone blocking/ignoring you should cause holes in your feed. If they want to hole their own feed that is on them, If I like my feed unmolested, well I should be in full control of my own ignore list.
I understood you just fine....

My answer : So what ?

As in so what if you have "holes in your feed"....
Is that going to ruin your day ?
Or is that going to negatively affect your experience here at NWFA in any meaningful way ?
And if so....why are you allowing something that is beyond your control to do so...?

In any event...I can't change how a site feature works.
However....
@Joe Link
May be able to do so.
Andy

Guy if it bothers you that much are you using a PC to read the group? If so just use any two browsers at the same time. Have the site open in both, one logged in, the other not. Any time you see missing post #s in a thread just look at the site in the other browser and you will see what you missed. I HIGHLY doubt you will really find you missed anything after you do it a few times. Now if you are reading with a phone? Not sure it would be nearly so easy but I am FAR from any kind of expert at browsing with a phone.

Wow, long thread already.

Others just argumentative with no real point. Not even worth the time needed to scroll past them. I'd rather not have them misrepresenting something I said and not know about it.
I've got a few who are blocked. Arguers who insist on the last petty word.

I don't see a need to change the system as it presently exists.

I don't use the block feature....

But I can see where someone who may legitimately need to block someone would not want that someone to see what they post anywhere else in the forum. It could even be a security risk to that person. While probably most use the block feature for minor annoyances I suspect the real reason forums include it has a more practical use blocking both ways.

I wouldn't change it.

I understood you just fine....

My answer : So what ?

As in so what if you have "holes in your feed"....
Is that going to ruin your day ?
Or is that going to negatively affect your experience here at NWFA in any meaningful way ?
And if so....why are you allowing something that is beyond your control to do so...?

In any event...I can't change how a site feature works.
However....
@Joe Link
May be able to do so.
Andy
It's all about scale. If we are playing absolutes then the complete disappearance of NWFA entirely would have very little impact on any of our lives. But as far as the user experience of NWFA itself, using the sum total of this site's experience as the benchmark instead of our total life's experience, then yes, having someone else hole your feed is a pretty irksome thing to have happen to some of us. I blocked no one, I expect my feed to be unmolested. I do not think that is an unreasonable expectation. I have already discussed how I find having a thread nearly unfollowable due to missing half the context distasteful, the fact that it was cause by not my own actions is insult to injury, at least within the scale of consideration set forth above. If you want to do that to yourself through liberal use of the ignore button that is on you, but I do not see why your preferences should impact my feed.

It's all about scale. If we are playing absolutes then the complete disappearance of NWFA entirely would have very little impact on any of our lives. But as far as the user experience of NWFA itself, using the sum total of this site's experience as the benchmark instead of our total life's experience, then yes, having someone else hole your feed is a pretty irksome thing to have happen to some of us. I blocked no one, I expect my feed to be unmolested. I do not think that is an unreasonable expectation. I have already discussed how I find having a thread nearly unfollowable due to missing half the context distasteful, the fact that it was cause by not my own actions is insult to injury, at least within the scale of consideration set forth above. If you want to do that to yourself through liberal use of the ignore button that is on you, but I do not see why your preferences should impact my feed.
You need a hobby.

Look what I found!

I understood this from your first post.

Again...all I got is So what ?

And also again....
I would suggest that you contact Joe Link directly with your question / comment / concern.
Since he is the only one that change a site feature.
Andy

OMG you've become a Karen. Turn back!

I don't use the block feature....

But I can see where someone who may legitimately need to block someone would not want that someone to see what they post anywhere else in the forum. It could even be a security risk to that person. While probably most use the block feature for minor annoyances I suspect the real reason forums include it has a more practical use blocking both ways.

I wouldn't change it.
Nope, I am going to nip that argument right in the bud. The fact that you can log out and see all content on the sight renders any argument from a security perspective null and void. And if I really wanted to harass someone I could just create an alt account to view full profile information or harvest whatever other "logged in only" stuff I care to gather.

I have already discussed how I find having a thread nearly unfollowable due to missing half the context distasteful, the fact that it was cause by not my own actions is insult to injury, at least within the scale of consideration set forth above.
Then why did the person block you?

Nope, I am going to nip that argument right in the bud. The fact that you can log out and see all content on the sight renders any argument from a security perspective null and void. And if I really wanted to harass someone I could just create an alt account to view full profile information or harvest whatever other "logged in only" stuff I care to gather.
Thats a fair point but if someone wants to ignore/block someone for other reasons I can see why they wouldnt want them to see what they post. Most people dont have criminal intentions but when two people dislike each other it doesnt make sense for the ignore feature to show the other person what they are saying.

OMG you've become a Karen. Turn back!
Well, from my perspective I am becoming the anti-karen. Karens want to force their world view on others, I am explicitly trying to prevent that. As it stands if I ignore you I am enforcing that ignore on you too. I do not see why that should be the case when I have my own ignore button I can use at my own discretion.

Well, from my perspective I am becoming the anti-karen. Karens want to force their world view on others, I am explicitly trying to prevent that. As it stands if I ignore you I am enforcing that ignore on you too. I do not see why that should be the case when I have my own ignore button I can use at my own discretion.

Sounds a lot like something a Karen would say...

Thats a fair point but if someone wants to ignore/block someone for other reasons I can see why they wouldnt want them to see what they post. Most people dont have criminal intentions but when two people dislike each other it doesnt make sense for the ignore feature to show the other person what they are saying.
But how do you actually enforce that given that incognito and alt accounts exists? The scale of the security threat is irrelevant, it does not matter if it is a simple tiff between individuals or full scale criminal action, the fact is this type of "content control" can be bypassed with a single click to an incognito tab. The only real impact is has is making the other user's experience more annoying by preventing them from reading the thread while logged in or using the site's proper quote functionality if they wanted to rebuff or reply to something you said (which would only be for the benefit of the other members, as you would never see it on account of having blocked them). That's it, that is all that this "enforced mutual block" feature gets you; a slight annoyance to the person you blocked, against their own wishes.

But how do you actually enforce that given that incognito and alt accounts exists? The scale of the security threat is irrelevant, it does not matter if it is a simple tiff between individuals or full scale criminal action, the fact is this type of "content control" can be bypassed with a single click to an incognito tab. The only real impact is has is making the other user's experience more annoying by preventing them from reading the thread while logged in or using the site's proper quote functionality if they wanted to rebuff or reply to something you said (which would only be for the benefit of the other members, as you would never see it on account of having blocked them). That's it, that is all that this "enforced mutual block" feature gets you; a slight annoyance to the person you blocked, against their own wishes.
If the other person is truly agitated by it then they need to just move on or self reflect what they did. I can see some curiosity in logging out or using incognito once or twice, but to actually care to continue to read someones comments who's blocked you means they have to move on and accept they actually did something to said person to warrant getting blocked/ignored. At that point the blocked person should probably start asking why people are blocking them and work on correcting that, the annoyance of the extra effort to log out to read is telling in this case that the feature works as is. The person who blocks someone shouldn't have to worry about the other person reading their comments and the fact someone is routinely going that extra mile is a concern. If the blocked issue is not legitimate, then its no big deal to ignore an inconsistent thread and just ask their own questions in the conversation.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top