JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
Then why did the person block you?
Oftentimes, that's impossible to know. I am currently blocked by at least 3 people that I don't even know and have never engaged with in conversation in any way. It's unilateral ignoring on their part, and I have no idea what bit them in the crotch. That's what makes me curious, because if it was something I said, then I would be open to evaluating it and perhaps even making a sincere apology, since I'm a lover and not a fighter... :)

Oftentimes, that's impossible to know. I am currently blocked by at least 3 people that I don't even know and have never engaged with in conversation in any way. It's unilateral ignoring on their part, and I have no idea what bit them in the crotch. That's what makes me curious, because if it was something I said, then I would be open to evaluating it and perhaps even making a sincere apology, since I'm a lover and not a fighter... :)
Thats how you know is probably not legitimate. So its easy to just move on. In time maybe they will unblock you, but you may never know the reason and thats ok sometimes.

Thats how you know is probably not legitimate. So its easy to just move on. In time maybe they will unblock you, but you may never know the reason and thats ok sometimes.
True dat! I have been put on ignore by at least 2 folks here over the years who, after mutual friends had interceded upon my behalf to ascertain the reason that the blocking individuals were ignoring me, only for them to realize that they had blocked me accidentally and they both lifted the block (the Ignoring toggle is dangerously close to the Following toggle, if you will note 👇 ).

1713637306707.png

So that's why I'm always curious when I discover that I've been blocked, especially by someone that I do not even know or with whom I have never been in communication. As in, why would they do such a thing to such a fine, upstanding individual as myself? I simply must know the reason... :)

You're articulate, intelligent and can put together a solid argument, but at the end of the day, you want a change made that hardly anyone one else wants.
I fight UI design stuff all day as part of my profession. I am used to tilting at windmills. When you get deep down into the weeds even button placement can become a tiny thorn for someone who uses it 100 times a day. Eventually you get sensitive to other minor issues and notice them more readily. Plus it feels really good when it gets fixed, like a thousand tiny voices sighed in relief for just one moment. . .

I'd do it myself, but for some reason I do not think Joe would be willing to grant me admin access to his servers. . .

I fight UI design stuff all day as part of my profession. I am used to tilting at windmills. When you get deep down into the weeds even button placement can become a tiny thorn for someone who uses it 100 times a day. Eventually you get sensitive to other minor issues and notice them more readily. Plus it feels really good when it gets fixed, like a thousand tiny voices sighed in relief for just one moment. . .

I'd do it myself, but for some reason I do not think Joe would be willing to grant me admin access to his servers. . .

I was a UI guy for a couple of years and then went into API. :rolleyes: I know that battle well.

I don't think I can ping Joe directly so I will just leave this here;

View attachment 1866608
Yes you...or anyone else , for that matter can.....
@Joe Link
Just hit the @ button followed by that person's screen name ( no space between them )
Works for any NWFA member....
@lucusloc

Now whether or not he wants to pay attention to you is a whole other matter.....
Andy

Yes you...or anyone else , for that matter can.....
@Joe Link

Now whether or not he wants to pay attention to you is a whole other matter.....
Andy
To be fair, one day in, this is already the most-commented thread in Member Suggestions and on track to be the most viewed. Doesn't mean he's right, but it's something. On the other hand, with all that attention, it currently sits at only +2 votes, so fortunately it's not looking hopeful. We really just need a few more folks to go to the top of the page and click the Down Arrow in the upper right, and I think we're done.

To be fair, one day in, this is already the most-commented thread in Member Suggestions and on track to be the most viewed. Doesn't mean he's right, but it's something. On the other hand, with all that attention, it currently sits at only +2 votes, so fortunately it's not looking hopeful. We really just need a few more folks to go to the top of the page and click the Down Arrow in the upper right, and I think we're done.
I really don't care one way or the other in regards to the ignore feature and the OP's issue with it.
That is the OP's issue not mine.
As I said to him...So what ?

I do know that Joe does take into account the questions / concerns raised in this section...
So...voicing a question or concern...is important.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads