JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
I'm mostly a lurker here, but many times I get drawn down the rabbit hole of a thread troll. Perhaps there should be a little statistic next to a users post, similar to how "Messages" and "Reactions" are shown, that shows how many users have "Ignored' a certain user. They still get to post what they want, but at least there is an indicator of how many folks have engaged this person and found that it really wasn't worth their time.

Just abiding by Joes wishes. He wants this to be an open forum that welcomes all walks that also have an interest in firearms.
That is what it should be.

But what cracks me up is that when someone CLAIMS to be so liberal and welcoming, I am NOT talking about Joe the owner here, and he (?) can't handle another viewpoint that he, she or ?! have to block someone MANUALLY because it may offend them or they can't handle another person's viewpoint because in TODAY'S AGE of political correctness - it may offend their so called liberal body. (NOTHING liberal there and most certainly not a CLASSIC LIBERAL!)

Old Lady Cate

The idea of labeling and stigmatizing a member with a number of the people who have ignored them doesn't appeal to me. I could see where it might be advantageous to a thin skinned intellectually reserved lemming who wants to join in on henpecking ignore parties, with others who may or may not share their same opinions/views but I don't take you for that kind.

I would consider engaging or looking at a members posts, feedback and reactions before deciding whether you want to engage with them or not.

....and for the record, I have made it on a number of members ignore lists but I am pretty sure in each case it was by mistake.:)
THIS! Thank you.

Cate

That is what it should be.

But what cracks me up is that when someone CLAIMS to be so liberal and welcoming, I am NOT talking about Joe the owner here, and he (?) can't handle another viewpoint that he, she or ?! have to block someone MANUALLY because it may offend them or they can't handle another person's viewpoint because in TODAY'S AGE of political correctness - it may offend their so called liberal body. (NOTHING liberal there and most certainly not a CLASSIC LIBERAL!)

Old Lady Cate
Oh for sure. I only mean the dogging of members with an ignore % next to their profile handle as a badge of shame/scarlet letter.. sort of defeats the purpose of the forum being welcoming as joe mentions in his forum wishes.

But Im not at all defending those members that come in swinging trying to get a rise out of others.. (the typical troll types). We get a bit of those here and they dont last long.
But, there have also been some on this forum that just happen to have different viewpoints than myself and others and Ive sort of seen them elbowed out despite them being civil and having articulate talking points. The ignore % (just like a negative feedback score) sort of stains their status here and it might simply be due to others simply not wanting to hear their opposing viewpoints despite them being different.

But I do hear what you are saying, and I agree.

I ended up here because of obvious trolls obviously trolling, management protecting obvious trolls, and obvious trolls EPHING UP
Every
Damn
Thread
They
You'll know when the commie libturds own the forum.

Joe

Better to keep the trolls and trouble makers here on the net so the world is free of them.:D

I call it the "net culture" where brains are burnt out from arguing and folks have to hurry and go get their next talking points so they know what to think.

Sadly all the big sites from fakebook to Twitter etc have burnt the brains of folks by not letting other views in. Chinese fact checkers and millions of bots telling people what to think or manipulation of what they read.

At some point to be free of this crap is to move on to life away from the net. Do your buying and selling then just move on. Lurking while you shop then drop a line here and there then move on.

Have a truly great day.:)

Life's too short to waste time on internet trolls, especially when they are nothing more than professional agitators. Until we finally get that great big internet EMP, I heart my ignore list.

I'm mostly a lurker here, but many times I get drawn down the rabbit hole of a thread troll. Perhaps there should be a little statistic next to a users post, similar to how "Messages" and "Reactions" are shown, that shows how many users have "Ignored' a certain user. They still get to post what they want, but at least there is an indicator of how many folks have engaged this person and found that it really wasn't worth their time.
Eventually, there would be no one left. I have found that post content and user attitude is a good indicator, as everyone is dealing with different stresses in their life. It's easy enough to ignore someone now, and I hope that I am ignored by a few.

Why does someone ignoring you block you from seeing their posts? This is the only forum I've been on that works that way.
Good question. The moderators will tell you to log out and then search the thread to see the comments left by the people who you ignore/are ignored by. That's what I was told to do. Lol.

I take "interaction on an internet website" with a grain-of-salt on any topic, and more so on a subject as passionate and political as firearms. The only thing that binds us together, is that each of us enjoys some type of firearm...
A bit like joining a forum where the members like owning or using motorized transportation, but it diverges from there. Some prefer a diesel 4×4, the next is only interested in electric vehicles and the last person doesn't understand why everyone does not use a motorcycle like him and he doesn't care at all about diesel pickups, Teslas or the people who own them... There are a lot of different personal interests standing underneath a large tent in this forum...
As others have pointed out, there are different firearm websites focused more specifically on subject matter such as historical or manufacturer specific. Some are more heavily moderated than here and less tolerant regarding "questionable" comments, it all depends on what style a person prefers.

Good question. The moderators will tell you to log out and then search the thread to see the comments left by the people who you ignore/are ignored by. That's what I was told to do. Lol.

That works or, let's say @po18guy accidently added me to his ignore list and I couldn't see post #29. I could hop on a private or incognito window and view the thread. I could then see the missing #29 post. That saves me from having to sign out in a regular browser window.

Been debating/etc. on the internets for decades+

After a while I got a feeling for who is trolling and who isn't, plus I learned it was mostly a waste of time to get into extended debates with almost anybody - so I generally just don't.

I would not be a supporter of anything approaching a "like/dislike" score, like some other venues have tried (and mostly abandoned - although I don't think an "agree/disagree" indicator for a post is a bad thing - just not a score overall.

I think what we have now seems to work. The only two users I have on ignore seem to have had their accounts deleted/removed.

That works or, let's say @po18guy accidently added me to his ignore list and I couldn't see post #29. I could hop on a private or incognito window and view the thread. I could then see the missing #29 post. That saves me from having to sign out in a regular browser window.
I'm to the point that if you're so thin skinned that something I said offended you/you disagree with me to the point you need to distance yourself and hide what I say then I really have no desire to read what you have to say. You're getting hurt in a land of make believe. Just my opinion. People can put me on ignore all they want. Sure some threads get messy and confusing but more than likely I'll say my piece and move on with my day. I'm not going to log out or go "incognito" to see what someone has to say just because I have been ignored. I simply don't have the time or energy for that.

After a while I got a feeling for who is trolling and who isn't, plus I learned it was mostly a waste of time to get into extended debates with almost anybody - so I generally just don't.
My thoughts also...
I have gotten into long debates with people whose logic I appreciate with different opinions and occasionally I have come to appreciate a view that had not occurred to me.
But in general, debating on the internet doesn't seem like the best use of time.

Most other forums have this note/button on the bottom of each page: "Show Ignored Content"
If that's shown, there are posts on that page made by someone on your ignore list.
If you click it, the ignored posts will appear.

I don't know of any other forum that block posts/content by anyone who has YOU on their ignore list.

Other forums show your ignore list poster's name in the normal sequence of numbered posts that says, "you are ignoring this poster" and has 2 options/buttons, one: " show this post only" or two: "remove this poster from your ignore list".
Actually 3 options with the 3rd being not clicking either one or two/doing nothing.
That tends to work out well, for me anyways.
just sayin,
:s0092:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR