JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
I'm mostly a lurker here, but many times I get drawn down the rabbit hole of a thread troll. Perhaps there should be a little statistic next to a users post, similar to how "Messages" and "Reactions" are shown, that shows how many users have "Ignored' a certain user. They still get to post what they want, but at least there is an indicator of how many folks have engaged this person and found that it really wasn't worth their time.

I'm mostly a lurker here, but many times I get drawn down the rabbit hole of a thread troll. Perhaps there should be a little statistic next to a users post, similar to how "Messages" and "Reactions" are shown, that shows how many users have "Ignored' a certain user. They still get to post what they want, but at least there is an indicator of how many folks have engaged this person and found that it really wasn't worth their time.
Maybe just takes some time? Been playing since the days of Usenet. So if someone is just a troll its easy to just not waste time on them. I guess even if you do spend some time going back and forth with one what have you really lost?

If you are the only one engaging, that might be a sign that you are the only one that can see that persons posts.

I don't have anyone on "ignore", because It doesn't take long to take note of the "dopes" around here and 9/10 I'll just pass over their online flatulence without reading it.

… and for the record, every single one of my forum posts are well thought out PURE mental GOLD!

:s0108:

The idea of labeling and stigmatizing a member with a number of the people who have ignored them doesn't appeal to me. I could see where it might be advantageous to a thin skinned intellectually reserved lemming who wants to join in on henpecking ignore parties, with others who may or may not share their same opinions/views but I don't take you for that kind.

I would consider engaging or looking at a members posts, feedback and reactions before deciding whether you want to engage with them or not.

....and for the record, I have made it on a number of members ignore lists but I am pretty sure in each case it was by mistake.:)

I hear what you're saying.. though we greatly agree or disagree on the forum with others.. Sometimes its nice to have folks with a different perspective come in. Maybe not the bitter trolls as of late.. however those here for productive dialog and opposing opinion (though wrong) gives insight into how others think.. even if I strongly disagree.

Id assume a person with a visible high ignore % makes this more a judgmental and non-inclusive arena. After all, we're all here for firearms. Many of us agree on core issues.. and so long as a person comes here and can articulate themselves I think folks should be able to voice their opinion or oppose the groupthink from time to time. Otherwise we become an echo chamber and no exchange of ideas occur after a while.

I hear what you're saying.. though we greatly agree or disagree on the forum with others.. Sometimes its nice to have folks with a different perspective come in. Maybe not the bitter trolls as of late.. however those here for productive dialog and opposing opinion (though wrong) gives insight into how others think.. even if I strongly disagree.

Id assume a person with a visible high ignore % makes this more a judgmental and non-inclusive arena. After all, we're all here for firearms. Many of us agree on core issues.. and so long as a person comes here and can articulate themselves I think folks should be able to voice their opinion or oppose the groupthink from time to time. Otherwise we become an echo chamber and no exchange of ideas occur after a while.

:D:D:D:D

I know echo chambers are considered a bad thing, however when I come to a firearm forum I expect to be engaged with other firearm enthusiasts, not gun control sympathizers or hate mongers. When I visit a Sig forum I expect to find those that have a passion for Sig's, not Hi-Point's. I will concede that reading through an opposing opinion does give insight into the rational of another member's argument, which can give perspective, but that also leaves a lot of garbage to sift through.

I know echo chambers are considered a bad thing, however when I come to a firearm forum I expect to be engaged with other firearm enthusiasts, not gun control sympathizers or hate mongers. When I visit a Sig forum I expect to find those that have a passion for Sig's, not Hi-Point's. I will concede that reading through an opposing opinion does give insight into the rational of another member's argument, which can give perspective, but that also leaves a lot of garbage to sift through.
You could ignore the Off Topic and other sections that are not oriented towards your preferences?

If you are the only one engaging, that might be a sign that you are the only one that can see that persons posts.
True that brother, I've got more members here on ignore than Carter has liver pills. No shirt!!! :s0092::s0092::s0092:

Kinda like that song that goes like this,
You piss me off you bubbleguming jerk, you get on my nerves….
At least that's what I got from it.

I'm on a decent amount of peoples ignore lists. Haha. I can tell because the numbered messages have missing holes and I can't follow some of the threads. Some people simply have thin skin and need to be protected. I don't have anyone on ignore. Never will. I don't even think it should be an option. But todays day and age I guess you gotta provide that safe space echo chamber.

I'm on a decent amount of peoples ignore lists. Haha. I can tell because the numbered messages have missing holes and I can't follow some of the threads. Some people simply have thin skin and need to be protected. I don't have anyone on ignore. Never will. I don't even think it should be an option. But todays day and age I guess you gotta provide that safe space echo chamber.
People having you on ignore makes their posts invisible? That's weird.

They still get to post what they want, but at least there is an indicator of how many folks have engaged this person and found that it really wasn't worth their time.
What if the people that are ignoring that poster are exactly the kind of people you would also hope would ignore you?

A better metric, if any, is a ratio of ignores to likes. If someone is oft ignored but rarely liked, that suggests a lack of quality rather than just the intolerance of a minority.

Can ya hear me brother??? I haven't ignored you.

I've been convinced, I don't need no stinking communist-thin-skinned-intellectually-reserved-lemming-safe-space-echo-chamber :D, please ignore my ignore request.

This forum is WIDE ranging. There is always a "next button" for anyone who does not want to read something. Even filters to only read about one topic if wanted. For anyone who does not want to see what some member is posting they can just filter them out completely. For those who even this is too much for? There are some HEAVILY moderated groups and forums on the web, or at least there used to be. They of course have very little traffic but, hey don't have to wade through stuff you do not want to see :s0092:

You could ignore the Off Topic and other sections that are not oriented towards your preferences?
THIS! Thank you.

~~~

Original Poster,

You can ignore some threads in the OFF TOPIC section, in any OTHER section of the forum or only make a couple of points in a specific thread, WALK away from it and shake the dust off of your feet if all it does is TICK YOU off too.

Plus you can go to another forum or forums on the WWWeb where some people are much MORE informed than HERE in a specific subject matter when it comes to history, old agreements, politics, etc. This can be about ANY subject matter depending on the subject that interests you.

I like shaking the dust off of my feet as the OLD saying goes when it comes to dealing with and talking to some people NO matter what the subject matter may be in MANY circumstances especially when it comes to national and international HISTORY and so forth.

Some people CHOOSE to remain clueless or are so FAR Left or so FAR Right especially in politics and in GUN politics and all of the talking in the world with black/white written proof and old footage of agreements will NOT change their mind since they remain 'programmed' or brainwashed by the huge amount of propaganda by the L and/or R in the MASS MEDIA.

Some of them are almost cult like in some subject matters too. It is kind of scary to see. When you see what has happened to this country in the LAST x amount of years from the 'flu' to who has been running it on the L and on the R - well - there is your answer. And it is only getting worse and more divisive in GUN issues.

That IS a shame because most of us most likely agree in MANY things GUN wise and we want what is BEST for this country. But the hatred and divisiveness keeps on going NON stop.

I do not have any person on ignore although I have thought about it.

For a time frame, I did have some sections on ignore but I went back to scanning though some sections instead.

I am ignored by some people. I always said that they can ignore me - physically push the button, scan by me - ignore me that way, don't read me if they hate long posts, scroll on down, scroll by me due to what I say or how I say it even if I really do try to be polite and detailed in my answer. Plus some people hate LARGE letters! LOL

What cracks me up is when a person ASKS a question or questions and they NEVER COME BACK to what they asked in their ORIGINAL POST or even thanked the people who took the TIME and effort to type it all out to them too. Or they never do a FOLLOW UP with any other answer on what they wanted to buy or did buy. But that is THEIR choice to do but I personally think it is kind of RUDE. If they don't like to push a thank you or like button - all they would have to do is say, "Thank you!", whether they totally TOOK YOUR ADVICE or NOT or even took the time to read your post and ALL of the other people who tried to help him or her.

I DO REALIZE that the push button thank you or like or whatever BUTTONS tick some people off and they do not like them.

Take care.

Cate

Last Edited:
Quote by one poster on this thread.

RX-79G wrote:

"People having you on ignore makes their posts invisible? That's weird."

~~~

IT is weird and I agree with you.

I do not always SIGN IN when I read this forum. I noticed this when I was NOT signed in a couple of times.
When I did SIGN IN - I did not see their posts even if I did NOT have him or any other person on IGNORE.

The THREAD did not make sense to me at all in some replies.

Speaking of off topic subject matters...

Some really sensitive members HERE don't like responses about some VICIOUS dogs and specific breeds (Facts and statistics upset them!) AND they don't like it when you (Me as an example.) state that LIBERAL states that can't figure out that a person is a male or a female on a DL or a State ID should be on it and not some ALPHABET word salad to identify a male or a woman on a .gov ID that the 'STATE aka .GOV' makes you get. Plus if you feel like a man one day and a woman on the next day - do you change your DL or ID card every single day due to your FEELINGS or what you choose to wear for that day?!

THIS really upsets some people just as much as LONG POSTS do and large letters.

I find it kind of amusing in it's own way when the people who CLAIM to be the most liberal or libertarian in some subject matters (NOT! LOL!) get all in a HUFF about statistics in dog maulings/deaths!

We had another old lady die from this crapola within the last 2 weeks out here in MT and one (Man.) on the Reservation with loose/feral and so called domesticated dogs - PACKS OF DOGS where people are BEGGING for the Tribal Police to do more. Horrific death!

Plus the deal with the DL or ID cards - give me a freaking break!

I can call myself a Blue Spruce Tree but that does not make me one!

IT is like the ding dong - gold digger who married the cry baby whack job - Prince Harry. FIRST thing that comes out of that wife/mother was we are raising our baby - our first born to be GENDER FLUID.

Yeah, right, uh huh.

But if you dare say that some of this s and confusion only makes a KID even more confused - some members, moderators and even some people in the MASS MEDIA will call a blunt person dirty names.

I can tell you what a woman is and what a man is too. I don't need to be a scientist to explain that when it comes to HUMAN BEINGS.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews