JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seem to recall that it did well against Iraqi armor and other vehicles, besides being good CAS against non-mounted troops and emplacements?
You know what this reminds me of? "Tanks obsolete because aircraft and smart munitions, drones, small missiles"
:rolleyes: same thing. "A-10 obsolete because smart munitions, drones, small missiles"

Can the F-35 stand up to quad 23mm cannon on a Shilka (ZSU) ? Or against larger antiair cannons? Can the F-35 withstand engine hits? What about losing fins and such? Its a terrible replacement for the A-10. Its like giving police interceptors the equivalent of a sports car to use against other vehicles..

If I was designing a new SAR/Towing Salvage vessel for the Coast Guard, I would model it after what the Germans came up with, minus the daughter boat, substituted with towing! Maybe combine the designs of the Brit and German boats, get the best performance possible!
View attachment 1190545

View attachment 1190561
Destin did a video on the RBM a couple days ago. Pretty neat.

Water Jets need RPM, Massive Horsepower and Water Velocity, where as Props can dig in hard and make massive thrust at low RPM's
Water Jets CAN work for towing if properly designed, but it's really not needed!

I suppose the conversation about RPVs supplanting the need with a more surgical removal has a case, but the dependency on GPS as something that can be disrupted or disabled exposes some significant risk points as a platform to replace the ground role the A-10 does so well.

The PsyOp of the BFG on the A-10 also is enough to make tank crews poo themselves.

I suppose the conversation about RPVs supplanting the need with a more surgical removal has a case, but the dependency on GPS as something that can be disrupted or disabled exposes some significant risk points as a platform to replace the ground role the A-10 does so well.

The PsyOp of the BFG on the A-10 also is enough to make tank crews poo themselves.
Drones are good, but they should not be the only thing we use for CAS and tank removal.

I agree. RPVs are great for info gathering and surgical carve-offs. I think the military has fallen too much in love with them as a broader multi-role platform. Some they can do, sure, but not down in the mud busting what a platform like the A-10 can bust.

Just imagine what a couple of old Spark-Varks, or Prowlers could do to deny any drone activities, Combine land based Jamming along with hand held, and you could effectively Kill off any drone threat there is! Kinda like how we killed Call towers and Nodes in Iraq and bubblegum-stan to prevent Cellular phones from being used for coms or cheap detonator's of IED's!

Just imagine what a couple of old Spark-Varks, or Prowlers could do to deny any drone activities, Combine land based Jamming along with hand held, and you could effectively Kill off any drone threat there is! Kinda like how we killed Call towers and Nodes in Iraq and bubblegum-stan to prevent Cellular phones from being used for coms or cheap detonator's of IED's!
Forgot the EA18 Growler n the SEAD Wild Weasel F-16s/F-15Es?

"not a system we will need against the types of adversaries we are most worried about now"

We've heard words to that effect before and they've been terribly wrong.

Also, would they be able to support, operate and maintain such an odd bird as an A-10? It's not like donating a car.

"not a system we will need against the types of adversaries we are most worried about now"

We've heard words to that effect before and they've been terribly wrong.
Yup. Every time something new is being introduced, and then something happens that requires using the older equipment, and then Congress cuts funding for new equipment and also cuts funding for restarting certain lines... (B-1B.... B-2... F-22..... )

Also, would they be able to support, operate and maintain such an odd bird as an A-10? It's not like donating a car.
Good question. Believe Ukrainian AF are used to Soviet bloc/Russian equipment.. not sure if there are license built copies of the SU-25 Frogfoot in other former Com-bloc countries or in India.. it would be something that the Ukrainians could use against trucks and tanks as opposed to needing Western equipment training and support for A-10s although the nice thing is that the aircraft have relatively easy to swap engines... as well as equipment... but again, would there be sufficient supplies and support? 🤷‍♂️

A SU-34 Fullback probably would be more appropriate then for Ukraine AF?? Armored, fast, heavy strike fighter. Basically a hybrid in functions of the F-111B and the F-15E. Edit. It entered service in 2014 in Russia, no way Ukraine would be able to acquire them without literally stealing/capturing. So its back to something from Poland, Germany, Czech Republic, or Georgia? MAKS2015part1-10_(cropped).jpg su34_fullback.jpg message-editor_1642547836004-refueling2018-09.jpg

Back on topic... if the whole of NFA is rendered obsolete and repealed (right.... theres the HB relating to repealing NFA.. should be interesting) how bout selling the surplus A-10s to civilian companies... :s0064: yeah I know, "Private Military Contracror corporations bad" :rolleyes: but honestly.... I know many, including @Ura-Ki would jump 20 feet at the opportunity to own and fly a fully functional, arms-capable A-10 :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top