JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know many of you here on NWFA are pet owners, and you're probably like me and love the heck out of your pets.

Well, some of you know that I do pet portraits as my main retirement income. Today I decided to step up and start advertising here on NWFA, so you might see an ad for "CUSTOM PORTRAITS PAINTED BY SIGMADOG" here and there. I do mostly dogs, but I've also painted cats, horses, and people. If the photo references are decent, I can usually paint something great.

I've found that most people order pet portraits as gifts or memorials.

If the idea appeals to you (either as something for yourself or a gift for others) don't hesitate to click on the ads. They will take you to a special landing page on my personal web site with information about my service and a discount code specifically for NWFA members.

In case you don't see the ads, here's the link: Special Sigmadog Page For NWFA Members

Lastly, by way of showing you how I do it, here's a link to my blog showing a screen-captured video of me painting a commissioned portrait of a golden retriever: Watch Me Paint a Digital Portrait of Tally.

Here's a still image of the finished portrait:

Tally_16x20_221010_pf1.jpg

Nice! It seems to me that drawing with a stylus would take the same skill as drawing with a pen. I know I can't do it, and I'm pretty awful at picking colors too.
One of the biggest arguments made by traditional artists is that by painting digitally with a stylus you loose the tactile feel of the canvas or paper, and how the brush interacts with them. That's true enough, and in many ways the digital painting process is inferior to traditional painting methods. But I think those arguments are more about the pleasure of painting on canvas, (which I totally agree with, since I also paint in oils myself) not the results. Because in the end, it's not about the tools so much as the skill of the artist using them and how the final piece looks and is appreciated by the viewer.

Everyone who orders one of my portraits knows it's a digital painting, and I've never had a complaint. They just want a piece of art that is reasonably priced, professionally done, and reminds them of their pet.

Prices for NWFA members (using the 45ACP discount code) start at $105 for an 8x10 portrait delivered to your door ready-to-hang. Lots of other sizes are available. Time to complete the order is usually about three weeks.

Here's a small commission from a couple months ago… Plexi (8x10).

This one was tricky because of the fur pattern, but I gave it some extra care and the customer loved it.

Plexi_8x10_pf1.jpg

That's Awesome!

Only problem, having Black Dogs makes paintings, drawings, and even photos Extremely Difficult, if you can pull that off, You would make a Killin at this!
Challenge accepted!

I love painting black dogs. The main requirement is a photo that has decent lighting. Too dark and I can't make sense of the shadows or form of the critter. Too bright and important details get blown out.

Here's my dog, Boris (R.I.P.) feeling drowsy one Sunday morning.

Boris-in-Bed.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads