JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
what would be a good powder that burns clean meters well and can load it mild to upper warm,
loading 9mm and 40 s&w, my powder is all gone now :( so when the stores stock again looking to try something
different

I am brand new to loading 40s&w,I have only loaded for it once really.my recipice is 8.0 grs of aa#5 behind 150 gr Nosler jhp bullets.of the few I shot,they seem to be pretty accurate,3" at 10 yrds,and it is a pleasurable load to shoot.

I guess it depends how you shoot the groups. I would be happy with 3" groups unless I was using a rest. I also like AA# 5 for both 40 and 9. I can't find any though.
The group I got was from a weaver stance with a new style pistol,for me.I have a 1911 also and the trigger is very different from this double action only pistol.I do know I need LOTS of practice with it.
What is a good group off a rest?

I like W-231 in the 9mm and the .40s&w I load 5.7grs of W-231 with a 115g rbullet in the 9mm and use the same powder charge with a 180gr bullet in the .40cal.

I like W-231 in the 9mm and the .40s&w I load 5.7grs of W-231 with a 115g rbullet in the 9mm and use the same powder charge with a 180gr bullet in the .40cal.

My Speer 14 book shows a maximum of 4.9gr of 231 under a 155gr Jacketed bullet in 9mm!! I do well at 4.2gr 231 under a 124gr JHP in 9mm.

In .40 the book shows 5.8-6.5 231 under a 155gr jacketed bullet.

A gentleman at the range had suggested for me to use HS-6 in .40 for my CZ75 due to the barrel length, allowing the slower powder to burn fully. The combo gets me great accuracy and burns fully and cleanly. HS-6 measures great too.

I've used Titegroup, Unique, HS-6 and 231 in 9mm. HS-6 seemed good for a warmer load but I've settled on 231 as I don't need hot loads for the range.

Good luck finding any powder for handgun!

Mike

Over the last 30 years of so I've used a lot of powders for 9mm loading. In short, just about all of them work pretty good.

That said, I have settled on Power Pistol for all my "9" loading and if I ever get a "40" I'd use it there.

It burns clean, yields some good speeds with a 124 gr. bullet, and meters as well as any powder out there in my Dillon 650 powder measure. When I bought my last supply it was a little less expensive than the other "usual suspects" but aside from that I just like the overall performance.

If I were to use another powder it would be Vihtavouri 3N37. Oh, wait! I already do. I use that to "power" my SD loads with a Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 124 gr.

how did the HS6 burn always read it is very dirty ?
it does have apealing load data

As has been written on NWFA by one of the wise ones: "Gun powder is made with graphite, graphite is dirty, therefore guns get dirty when you shoot them", or something to that effect. I just know that it shoots well in my full size CZ-75 with no unburnt powder. I figure short barrel semi-autos, would use a faster powder, longer barrel could better utilize a slower powder. In my relative short time loading, what Deadshot 2 said seems true to me.

I use this site when contemplating what powders may work for what guns. <broken link removed>
AND of course input from NWFA members.

Disclaimer: Always confirm hand loads with a qualified source or two.

Mike

A gentleman at the range had suggested for me to use HS-6 in .40 for my CZ75 due to the barrel length, allowing the slower powder to burn fully. The combo gets me great accuracy and burns fully and cleanly. HS-6 measures great too.

CZ75 in 40. My go-to gun: fast acquisition, tame recoil and shoot the knots out of plywood at 20 yards. :)

I used Titegroup and AA#2 in both my CZ and HK P7 and generally load hot. Just picked up 2# of Power Pistol, want to give it a try in my Hi Power and CZ.

On accuracy, 3" groups off-hand at 30' may not be considered accurate, but AFIC it's a headshot. Aim at the body, consider shake and you still (probably) have a hit.

Too many powders to list that will work, most being on the faster end of the spectrum. Google works great for finding load data. Type in powder type and cartridge and you'll find it all in seconds.

I like HS-6 as a powder that fills the case well, but N-340 is better in my guns downrange. A good alternative, but not a good case filler, so pay extra attention when loading, is W231. Load Data for these can be found on the Hogon website and the Vihtavuori website.

On accuracy, 3" groups off-hand at 30' may not be considered accurate, but AFIC it's a headshot. Aim at the body, consider shake and you still (probably) have a hit.

If you have an assailant at gunpoint, it's a lot better to let them get closer. Not only increases the chances of a fight stopping hit but is easier to make a case for Self Defense:cool:

Now if they have a gun and have popped off a shot, work on getting those groups under 3" at distance. Guaranteed that they'll double or even triple in size when under stress.

As for pistol accuracy, I've found that the major portion is the shooter, not the powder/load.

I have used power pistol I did find it a good powder but in 40 s&w the flash could be distracting anyone try universal ,
like the low flash types so if needed it wont mess up your vision in low light,

I reload to save $ and as a hobby. Don't read so into it that you get picky. I use 700X, Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup, Green Dot and Universal. They all push my cast bullets down range and have never had issue's with any of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top