JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never planned on loading 223 but i have powder and brass. Choices are h355 and Cfe 223, shooting out Of a gas gun not going to waste or fiddle with Varget. 25 grains looks like a good a starting point, looking for some feedback.

I load 55, 62 & 77 grain with BLC(2) for 1:7 & 1:8 twist 5.56
Sub MOA.

Different story for 223. They usually have a slow twist and cannot throw a 69-grain projectile with any accuracy.
I have a Remington 700 223 heavy barrel varmint rifle. It shot 4MOA with something as heavy as a 55 grain.
I now shoot 1/2 MOA using 35 to 40 grain Nosler Varmagedón.

My $.02

In .223 and 5.56mm I like H335 with 55 gr. bullets, and BL-C(2) for the heavier bullets.

Using a 69 gr. bullet in .223, according to Hodgdon's online load data, 25.0 grains is overcharge for H335. 25.0 gr. of CFE223 is close to maximum charge. In neither one would 25.0 gr. be a starting point for load development.

I checked my Hornady bullet load data, they don't make a 69 gr. but do have a 68 gr. Their data for 5.56mm does not show H335 for 68 gr. bullet (as a faster burning powder, they probably think there are better choices for the heavier bullets), but for CFE223, they show a starting charge of 23.3 gr. and a max. charge of 26.9.

You do not say what the barrel twist rate is in the weapon to be used. If 1-9 or 1-7, the 69 gr. will be okay. If 1-12, you would be well advised to use a lighter bullet, like 55 gr.

Got primers yet? Don't use Remington 6-1/2, they aren't up to .223 pressures.

H335 or W748 will work good. Never had much success with Varget and 69 SMKs. The
CFE 223 works OK but I never achieved the best accuracy. I usually find the starting
point in the load chart is accurate. The type of brass makes a big difference. Winchester
brass is what I use works better than LC. Picture of Service Rifle load testing. 5 shots bench
rest @ 100 yd. New 20" 1/7 twist barrel, 4.5 power scope and 4.5 pound trigger pull. 77 SMKs and
52 SMKs seems to prefer. A gas gun can be accurate. I have found the 69 SMK works
excellent in a 1/9 twist barrel. This post is info from my actual shooting and not something
I have heard about or read from the web.
1699694986469.png

Last Edited:
I load 55, 62 & 77 grain with BLC(2) for 1:7 & 1:8 twist 5.56
Sub MOA.

Different story for 223. They usually have a slow twist and cannot throw a 69-grain projectile with any accuracy.
I have a Remington 700 223 heavy barrel varmint rifle. It shot 4MOA with something as heavy as a 55 grain.
I now shoot 1/2 MOA using 35 to 40 grain Nosler Varmagedón.

My $.02
I meant 5.56 out of mostly 1:7 twist 16" barrel.

H335 or W748 will work good. Never had much success with Varget and 69 SMKs. The
CFE 223 works OK but I never achieved the best accuracy. I usually find the starting
point in the load chart is accurate. The type of brass makes a big difference. Winchester
brass is what I use works better than LC. Picture of Service Rifle load testing. 5 shots bench
rest @ 100 yd. New 20" 1/7 twist barrel, 4.5 power scope and 4.5 pound trigger pull. 77 SMKs and
52 SMKs seems to prefer. A gas gun can be accurate. I have found the 69 SMK works
excellent in a 1/9 twist barrel. This post is info from my actual shooting and not something
I have heard about or read from the web.
View attachment 1760224
What's that scope Ron? The cheesy scope I bought way back before I knew better went bad on me.

As far as the thread, I/we (wifey shoots her AR more than I do) load 24gr of H-335 with 55gr Hornady HPBTs with 1" group at best. Tried some RMR 69 gr with similar results. 1" in 7" twist barrels.

I never thought I would have to load 223 for bench work. A friend has a Savage bolt with a Light Varmint Barrel and wants to bench. This thing is kicking my butt.
Working with a rough barrel that was not lapped well. She wants to shoot to 500
so I am working with 80 Gr Berger and V 140 at 22 Gr. Almost but consistency is not quite there. My normal load for 55 Gr. is 26 Gr 748, but that's for Accuracy by Volume.

The scope is a Leupold Service Rifle VX4.5HD 1-4.5X24MM. We are limited to 4.5X max.
A lot of money. Cheaper scopes out there. We need repeatability in adjustments
since we shoot at different distances. 200-300-600 yards
Thanks Ron! That must be one FINE scope huh? I'm looking for that style. 4.5X would be okay, I just prefer something smaller than the Leopold Wifey has on hers.

Thanks Ron! That must be one FINE scope huh? I'm looking for that style. 4.5X would be okay, I just prefer something smaller than the Leopold Wifey has on hers.
Leupold makes a 1.5-4 slightly smaller than that one (and much cheaper). It has proven very popular with many over the years; I have one. VX freedom 1.5-4 20mm. There are a lot of players in this range and type, but if you like Leupold, this is a solid option. There are non-illuminated as well as illuminated reticle options.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-MOA-VX-Freedom-1-5-4x20mm-Riflescope/dp/B08QSMV9HT

Never planned on loading 223 but i have powder and brass. Choices are h355 and Cfe 223, shooting out Of a gas gun not going to waste or fiddle with Varget. 25 grains looks like a good a starting point, looking for some feedback.
My choices for 69 gr bullets in 5.56 are TAC and Shooters World Precision Rifle. I also would like to try Accurate 2520, but haven't found any locally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top