JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its hard to do those things because you don't know who is really serious about making changes because you're still chasing an end result. The end result is the final determination of their efforts. This is how we got where we are. We throw money at them because it's unfair to cherry-pick. We try to claim success, but those people would have changed anyway.

As far as asking employees of the system what works, you have to look at who is self serving to make a name for their selves vs the completely jaded. Too much human variable.

They say the pendulum swings from treatment to punishment. Would you believe me if I told you that research has found no change in recidivism regardless of where we are at on the swing? 31 to 33% will be back in prison within 3 years of release....regardless.

That's true. It doesn't work. I like your original idea of special pills with instant results.

These stories make me sad and stupified.

Sad it happens.

Stupified that the praised almighty politicians these liberals vote into office that pray on the weak and make deals with these gangsters exist.

This stuff don't happen in republican based cities.

Its hard to do those things because you don't know who is really serious about making changes because you're still chasing an end result. The end result is the final determination of their efforts. This is how we got where we are. We throw money at them because it's unfair to cherry-pick. We try to claim success, but those people would have changed anyway.

As far as asking employees of the system what works, you have to look at who is self serving to make a name for their selves vs the completely jaded. Too much human variable.

They say the pendulum swings from treatment to punishment. Would you believe me if I told you that research has found no change in recidivism regardless of where we are at on the swing? 31 to 33% will be back in prison within 3 years of release....regardless.

I am not denying that any of that isn't true or does not happen...
But I am saying that I would like a treatment system that works ...
Will this take work , money , the ability to get rid of folks , departments and ideas that don't work ...yes...
Is any of the above likely to happen...Nope.
I am just saying what I would like to see in a justice / treatment system.
SIGH....
Andy

Prisons are always under 8th Amendment scrutiny. To me, the determination of cruel and unusual should be made by the instant offense. If you tied up a woman and electrocuted her over a weekend and raped her repeatedly and then cit her throat in the trunk of a car and left to die in an airport parking lot...you got nothin' comin'.

I have always felt that way about the method of killing on death row. Whatever they did to the victim's is good enough for them.

I am not denying that any of that isn't true or does not happen...
But I am saying that I would like a treatment system that works ...
Will this take work , money , the ability to get rid of folks , departments and ideas that don't work ...yes...
Is any of the above likely to happen...Nope.
I am just saying what I would like to see in a justice / treatment system.
SIGH....
Andy

I wish it could happen too.

A possible solution for work for these scum would be working in the fields picking produce instead of migratory workers. It would remind those thinking about committing crimes with results if they got caught and would partially reduce the immigration issue. Would require further thought but on the surface it seems plausible.

There is plenty of "work" they could do. Clean up parks and such if nothing else. Let those who behave have so extra privileges. Those who refuse to play nice? Well make their time in lock up much more unpleasant.

Seems to me , that this story is a very good reason to take a look at our Justice and Jail systems:
See what is actually working...
Get rid of what is not working....
Take into account and implement what the folks who work in these systems have been asking for and need...
Start looking into a true "rehabilitation system" , one that actually works , not a "pet project" or feel good sound bite...
But what do I know...?
Andy

The 'nice thing'(for our gov't) is that our tax dollars will continue to roll in even though the gov't does nothing to address the situation & instead continues to fill the jails with non-violent offenders, leaving zero room for already-proven violent people:eek::eek:

I can live with the return rate. What I choke on is when violent ones are let loose over and over. If they can't be "reformed" fine, they should never be allowed to prey on any more victims. I'm all for second chances and all for MOST crime. I have a real hard time when some scum does something horrendous and I find out they have been doing it over and over again. Same with severe nut cases. If they have "problems" and can be helped, fantastic. When they show that they are dangerous, and repeatedly harm, they need to be removed from society permanently.

These stories make me sad and stupified.
Sad it happens.
Stupified that the praised almighty politicians these liberals vote into office that pray on the weak and make deals with these gangsters exist.
This stuff don't happen in republican based cities.

I think the reason politicians are so blase about crime and homelessness (and like to 'virtue signal' about being compassionate) is due to the fact that they don't have to live with the consequences. You'll never see a homeless camp were the majority of them live, and if they are in such areas it's a good bet they're well protected.

A perfect example is Prime Minister Angela Merkel. She lets violent un-vetted immigrants flood her country, and then after a terrorist attack has armed guards accompanying her for Christmas shopping. This after she made a speech saying Germany wouldn't be intimidated and for people to be brave. It's weird how the worse the problem is, the less willing they seem to be to let people carry weapons and defend themselves. I think they're probably afraid it would blow the lid off the problem, and also provide less victims to run to them for 'protection'.

Capture.JPG

I think the reason politicians are so blase about crime and homelessness (and like to 'virtue signal' about being compassionate) is due to the fact that they don't have to live with the consequences. You'll never see a homeless camp were the majority of them live, and if they are in such areas it's a good bet they're well protected.

YEP!! When Seattle decided these homeless could camp on the street in these derelict RV's and the Police could not do anything I said I have a fix. Get a few of them to park in front of the Mayor's house and every member of the counsel. You would see new laws passed in hours.

YEP!! When Seattle decided these homeless could camp on the street in these derelict RV's and the Police could not do anything I said I have a fix. Get a few of them to park in front of the Mayor's house and every member of the counsel. You would see new laws passed in hours.
Dori Munson the radio host on 97.3 fm.
Said the same thing and had a number of calls from tow truck company's that said the would move some RVs for free .lol to in front of there houses.

When I worked in St Helens we had a guy in the parking lot with a knife saying he was going to stab a doctor. he police were called and they put him on a bus back to Portland. That's it. Even let him keep his knife.

That was one of the reasons I first got my CHL.

After more death threats the clinic installed "panic buttons" as a part of the security system (like the bank has) that would summon the police immediately. First time it was pressed the police took 15 minutes to arrive. The clinic then purchased all pepper spray because corporate did not want to pay for security......

We had our little corporate required meeting where we watched the homeland security video of "run,hide,fight [get killed]" I told the staff to just come get me since I was armed.

We had a guy recently that did the same thing, went crazy at work threatening to kill our employees, shoot the place up, cops got called and they had to tackle and sedate him. They told us he would be place on a 3 day hold and they would let us know when he was released.
He showed up the next day at anothwr locations, similar outcome, cops called and he took off, and was caught later that afternoon.

The cops are cuffed themselves, and our local govts and justice systems are heck bent on making these people the publics problem and not the city or states financial problem

Inmates should be required to spend 8+ hours a day on a treadmill, producing "green" power fed into the grid. The income from supplying power into the grid would be used to increase jail "space.":D

A possible solution for work for these scum would be working in the fields picking produce instead of migratory workers. It would remind those thinking about committing crimes with results if they got caught and would partially reduce the immigration issue. Would require further thought but on the surface it seems plausible.
Exactly!!! My wife and I think that prison should be work and that inmates at the different prisons raise/grow the food that they eat. Make it a cooperative thing. A prison in eastern Oregon raises meat for the rest of the prisons in Oregon to eat. Another raises dairy cattle for milk, another wheat for making breads, pasta, etc.
You don't work, you don't eat and neither does the other prisoners.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top